The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

+4
TelWorld
Telminator
mikeseaton
Tel
8 posters

Will numeric phone numbers be replaced by name phone numbers in the future?

Poll

Will numeric phone numbers be replaced in the future?

[ 8 ]
    Will numeric phone numbers be replaced by name phone numbers in the future? Bar_left62%Will numeric phone numbers be replaced by name phone numbers in the future? Bar_right [62%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Will numeric phone numbers be replaced by name phone numbers in the future? Bar_left15%Will numeric phone numbers be replaced by name phone numbers in the future? Bar_right [15%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Will numeric phone numbers be replaced by name phone numbers in the future? Bar_left23%Will numeric phone numbers be replaced by name phone numbers in the future? Bar_right [23%] 

Total Votes: 13
    Tel
    Tel
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Warning level : 100 %

Will numeric phone numbers be replaced by name phone numbers in the future? Empty Will numeric phone numbers be replaced by name phone numbers in the future?

Post by Tel 2012-09-19, 4:18 pm

This would be a very interesting answer relating to the future perspective of .tel!
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

.tel domain : MIkeSeaton.tel

Will numeric phone numbers be replaced by name phone numbers in the future? Empty Re: Will numeric phone numbers be replaced by name phone numbers in the future?

Post by mikeseaton 2012-09-19, 4:26 pm

I used to believe until very recently that was the "holy grail" that .tel (if properly promoted) would end up doing.

I WAS WRONG !

I no longer believe it will happen for "Joe Public" - how on earth do you deal with the number of "John Smith" telephone numbers that exist in different locations in the UK ?

Answer - you can't - the only way is to continue to use the existing UK area/local dialling infrastructure in place already.

My perspective re "dial-by-name" has changed - so I belive with Telnames what you see is what you get - and that's amazing value for money with a fully hosted, control panel updateable, mobile compliant web presence !

http://MikeSeaton.tel

Last edited by mikeseaton on 2012-09-19, 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tel
    Tel
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Will numeric phone numbers be replaced by name phone numbers in the future? Empty Re: Will numeric phone numbers be replaced by name phone numbers in the future?

Post by Tel 2012-09-19, 4:31 pm

mikeseaton wrote:I no longer believe it will happen for "Joe Public" - how on earth do you deal with the number of "John Smith" telephone numbers that exist in different locations in the UK ?
    That it is the same complex of problems as for website addresses. Only one John Smith can register JohnSmith.com, too! What is the difference?
    And besides the lack of success for .tel in early years how the situation has changed since 2009?
    Telminator
    Telminator
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Warning level : Banned

Post by Telminator 2012-09-19, 4:39 pm

mikeseaton wrote:how on earth do you deal with the number of "John Smith" telephone numbers that exist in different locations in the UK ?

Answer - you can't - the only way is to continue to use the existing UK area/local dialling infrastructure in place already.
    That is one more important reason why we need a search engine specialized in .tel domains which is far beyond Telpages. We need a global phone book which is accessible mobile easily.
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

.tel domain : MIkeSeaton.tel

Post by mikeseaton 2012-09-19, 4:53 pm

Telminator wrote:That is one more important reason why we need a search engine specialized in .tel domains which is far beyond Telpages. We need a global phone book which is accessible mobile easily.
    If I had the time I would write such a search engine, but I just don't have the hours available to do this at the moment - I would be delighted if another software developer could undertake this task !

http://MikeSeaton.tel
    TelWorld
    TelWorld

Post by TelWorld 2012-09-19, 9:49 pm

My personal view is that it must be quite easy to replace numeric numbers. Why we still need numbers which are created by a hundred years old technology, because in the beginning people dialed a phone number only with a dial plate? Perhaps people over thirty will remember those old phones. But of course name phone numbers can be introduced only if a global standard will be used. The DNS seems to be the only freely available data base for it. Hence domain dialing probably will come, we only don't know when.
    TelFan
    TelFan

Post by TelFan 2012-09-20, 8:08 am

Hard to imagine the last poll option would be the right one.
    Why anybody should type meaningless numbers on the keypad of a smartphone?
    telrific
    telrific
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by telrific 2012-09-20, 9:01 am

I think the poll question is hilarious !

Will numeric phone numbers be replaced in the future ?

Numeric means numbers !

You can never have numeric letters !
    Tel
    Tel
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by Tel 2012-09-20, 9:43 am

telrific wrote:I think the poll question is hilarious !

Will numeric phone numbers be replaced in the future ?

Numeric means numbers !

You can never have numeric letters !
    What is a better wording for this question: Will phone numbers be replaced by phone names in the future?
    How we want to call name phone numbers: Phone names?
    telrific
    telrific
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by telrific 2012-09-20, 10:01 am

Tel wrote:What is a better wording for this question: Will phone numbers be replaced by phone names in the future?
    How we want to call name phone numbers: Phone names?

I didn't mean anything bad by it, I just thought it was funny !

Will we replace telephone numbers with telephone names in the future is perfect !

The problem is how the telephone "addressing" system began, so if you know history, you know the problem with .tel as a concept for this:

For every name, there are many people, so confusion was alleviated in the beginning over 100 years ago with the use of numbers instead !

Many think that .tel is only "a lame attempt at going backwards" if it only serves a purpose to replace telephone numbers.

The key is to think "addressing", so .tel and Telnic stated wisely: "One address for life"

The problem is that people don't think of devices as addressing, they think address means their residence or business location, or maybe email or domain name, which they already have.

In fact, .tel is "One address for life", but using the "Replacement of numbers for locating someone via telephone" is just silly, it will end up with the same system as email addressing.

"Anything goes" is what anything@ something.something has become, and it is a disaster as well.

People need to think correctly for .tel to work, and it will eventually, when they do, even though it too will end up as email addressing for everything in the end.

1. People are accustomed to thinking "me" @ "something else" for addressing. me@ something.com, my number @ the telephone company, my address @ the city

2. People need to think "@ me" for addressing. email@ me.tel , number @ me.tel , etc.

See www.digitalfreedom.tel as an example of email@ digitalfreedom.tel instead of digitalfreedom@ yahoo.com

When people turn around the way of thinking, .tel will be successful for all addressing.
    Tely
    Tely

Post by Tely 2012-09-20, 10:11 am

mikeseaton wrote:how on earth do you deal with the number of "John Smith" telephone numbers that exist in different locations in the UK ?
    The possibilities are endless:
    JohnSmithLondon.tel
    JohnSmithManchester.tel
    JohnSmithUK.tel
    JohnSmithUnitedKingdom.tel
    JohnSmithCatlover.tel
    JohnSmith1970.tel
    TheOnlyJohnSmith.tel
    JSmith.tel
    JohnS.tel
    J-Smith.tel
    John-S.tel
    JohnSmithS.tel
    JohnSmithMy.tel
    JohnSmithContact.tel
    JSJunior.tel
    JohnSmithConsultant.tel
    SmithJohn.tel
    ContactMe.tel
    ContactJohn.tel
    MyHobby.tel
    The location can be identified by a search through Telpages.
    kprobe
    kprobe
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by kprobe 2012-09-20, 10:20 am

Actually, if you know a John Smith who has a .Tel page, eg JSLondon.tel, you could link him from your .Tel with a label "John Smith". Then when .Tel is in common use, you can dial your John Smith to connect with him. That way you only refer to your "John Smith" by label, excluding the million other JS you don't care about. If all people who know that John Smith placed him in their .Tels, then the context would be for that John Smith. Extending the dream further, if your phone knows you have a .Tel connected to it, then saying "Phone John Smith" would dial the guy connected to your phone's .tel domain, thereby again ignoring all the other John Smiths. Dial by Contextual Label, eh?
    Mark
    telrific
    telrific
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by telrific 2012-09-20, 10:24 am

Yep. As I said, just like email addresses are already.

If .tel is to be successful you will have as many .tel addresses as you have email addresses.

Then "anything @your.tel" will be the YOUdress forever.

Your YOUdress might not be pretty, short, or memorable, but it will be you, just like your email address @ something today.
    telrific
    telrific
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by telrific 2012-09-20, 10:28 am

kprobe wrote:Actually, if you know a John Smith who has a .Tel page, eg JSLondon.tel, you could link him from your .Tel with a label "John Smith". Then when .Tel is in common use, you can dial your John Smith to connect with him. That way you only refer to your "John Smith" by label, excluding the million other JS you don't care about. If all people who know that John Smith placed him in their .Tels, then the context would be for that John Smith. Extending the dream further, if your phone knows you have a .Tel connected to it, then saying "Phone John Smith" would dial the guy connected to your phone's .tel domain, thereby again ignoring all the other John Smiths. Dial by Contextual Label, eh?
    Mark

That's the same as bringing up anything, including URL's already. When you add to favorites or bookmark, you're labelling, or the label that exists will be saved already.

TelPages is the whole reason a directory was needed to begin with, with a real directory of Individuals and Businesses discoverable in the thousands or millions of Registrants expected.

To fill TelPages with subdomains and garbage only takes the task of actually finding an Individual or Business with a .tel and makes it exponentially more disasterous.

Get Real registrants with a 2nd level .tel only and we can actually get @ .tel rolling the right direction.
    Tel
    Tel
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by Tel 2012-09-21, 10:07 am

Tel wrote:How we want to call name phone numbers: Phone names?
    How about the term "Telnames"?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-12, 4:00 am