The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

4 posters

Interesting eMail from Telnames

mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

.tel domain : MIkeSeaton.tel
    Warning level : 100 %

Interesting eMail from Telnames Empty Interesting eMail from Telnames

Post by mikeseaton 2012-09-20, 9:06 am

I got this email yesterday from Telnames - as will anyone else have done who currently has Telnames domains.

We’ve recently introduced some great new features to .tel names that could benefit your business. These include:

•Uploading PDFs – You can now upload a PDF document to your .tel name so that it can be downloaded and viewed by your visitors. This PDF could be a brochure, menu, price list or CV for example. You can see an example at theploughappleton.tel

•Full Background View – Have you tried clicking on the title of boatsales.tel recently? The content will collapse so that you can see the background image in full on your desktop. If you don’t already have a background image now is a great time to upload one of your own or choose one from the Telnames gallery.

•Amazon and Ebay Links – We’ve added Amazon and Ebay links so that if you have products for sale you can display them on your .tel name. You can see an example of this great feature at global-warming-books.tel.
    All of these features are available for free, so why not log into your management console today at https://manage.telnames.com to take a look?

We have also recently updated section 12 of our Terms of Sale, with the latest version available at http://www.telnames.com/terms-of-sale/.

We hope you will enjoy these new features. If you have any suggestions for future enhancements please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Telnames.com
    Apart from the new features which many of us will already have discovered it's worth checking out the new version of Section 12.

This section does seem to open up the way for additional chargeable services to be levied on Telnames domains.

Nothing wrong with optional extras of course if reasonably priced - a built-in payment system would be an obvious possibility - no doubt many more could be thought up.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the revised Section 12 - or are Telnames doing the sensible thing and laying the framework for an expandable business model ?

Only time will .Tel !

http://MikeSeaton.tel
    JH
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Interesting eMail from Telnames Empty Re: Interesting eMail from Telnames

Post by JH 2012-09-20, 9:20 am

mikeseaton wrote:This section does seem to open up the way for additional chargeable services to be levied on Telnames domains.
    That's great. First thing coming into mind is Telnames could provide a package with subdomains included.
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

.tel domain : MIkeSeaton.tel

Post by mikeseaton 2012-09-20, 10:27 am

Welcome back Jens, thought you'd been hibernating !

Or maybe getting on with some real work ?

http://MikeSeaton.tel
    telrific
    telrific
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by telrific 2012-09-20, 10:32 am

JH wrote:
    mikeseaton wrote:This section does seem to open up the way for additional chargeable services to be levied on Telnames domains.
    That's great. First thing coming into mind is Telnames could provide a package with subdomains included.

OR any one of a number Registrars could get a REAL template themselves, and NOT screw up the only good thing .tel has going, a single page .tel by Telnames !
    JH
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by JH 2012-09-20, 10:32 am

mikeseaton wrote:Welcome back Jens, thought you'd been hibernating !
    He he!
    Still waiting for the breakthrough of .tel and for an usable template at Telnic. (I don't want to transfer all my .tels to Telnames.) Until then I have to spend my time wisely.
    fustachio.tel

Zodiac : Pisces Chinese zodiac : Pig

Post by fustachio.tel 2012-09-20, 11:59 am

"•Uploading PDFs – You can now upload a PDF document to your .tel name so that it can be downloaded and viewed by your visitors. This PDF could be a brochure, menu, price list or CV for example. You can see an example at theploughappleton.tel"

I still don't think CV/Resumes should be public, they usually contain private information such as phone numbers and other things that under UK law must be kept private and while I display a phone number on my .tel I don't want my private number that's for work requests only aka my CV phone number displayed to anyone at random on the internet, so I don't see many using it to host a CV unless it's a cut down one, I believe professionals in the USA tend to give all their information out but the UK is telnames market we need a little more than this.

And machine reading CVs don't always produce the best results, I do appreciate the PDF but I think to expect people to use it for CVs and then for companies to integrate .tel to read it is a bit much, as it's not a set placement it's not "your CV goes here it's a PDF of anything goes here" so no incentive for companies to want that data and we should be pushing for things like this to be easy for machines to understand or what is the point of a .tel?.

With random documents you don't get a uniform format across multiple countries without setting what goes where yourself aka without them building it in as hidden data to be extracted by machines and telephone system's it's not going to work well by leaving it open to interpretation on behalf of the registrant you loose interest from future developers from focusing on scraping that information, as not every .tel will contain a CV with someone looking for a job.

If this is something telnames is not willing to build in they could at least give us a tagging system like we used to have with the web links aka when we could set it to a mobile link aka (mobile) would popup, by allowing us to tag it as brochure, menu, price list or CV 3rd party sites can save time digesting that information and focus on processing .tels that contain only CVS or Menus etc.

That at least provides incentive to direct data, but please don't add a text of (cv) just leave it under the .tel in the lookup, or they could at least allow us to enter our data on another tab for PDF creation so as to generate a pdf with the format they set so all future machines will be able to digest it without it containing unnecessary mess or being formatted incorrectly by someone who has less experience in how to make their CV or how to display their menu etc.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-07, 4:42 pm