The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

+4
Tely
Moonlight
TelKing
mikeseaton
8 posters

Does Telnames not want these customers ?

mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

.tel domain : MIkeSeaton.tel
    Warning level : 100 %

Does Telnames not want these customers ? Empty Does Telnames not want these customers ?

Post by mikeseaton 2012-10-14, 1:24 pm

The massive fall off in total .tel registrations recently could be explained by the fact that THE ONLY FORM OF .TEL CURRENTLY BEING MARKETED - the http://YourBusiness.tel template by http://www.Telnames.com - DOES NOT HAVE MUCH BENEFIT FOR THE FOLLOWING TYPES OF CUSTOMERS:

Software Developers - reason - no access to Telnames API possible.

Power Users - reason - no subdomains possible.

Domain Investors - reason - no ability to monetise with AdSense ads.

So Telnic subdomain-style .tels now have zero marketing, but the Telnames single-page replacement has little appeal to Software Developers, Power Users and Domain Investors.

Shouldn't really be much of a surprise then that total .tel registrations have fallen off a cliff recently !

http://MikeSeaton.tel
    TelKing
    TelKing
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Does Telnames not want these customers ? Empty Re: Does Telnames not want these customers ?

Post by TelKing 2012-10-14, 1:41 pm

Funny, isn't it?
    All facts are known and the needed actions are visible for everybody.
    But Telnic permanently ignores the obvious.
    Moonlight
    Moonlight

Does Telnames not want these customers ? Empty Re: Does Telnames not want these customers ?

Post by Moonlight 2012-10-14, 2:08 pm

mikeseaton wrote:Software Developers - reason - no access to Telnames API possible.

I expect all these things will come.
    Telnames is just not in hurry.
    Tely
    Tely

Post by Tely 2012-10-14, 2:29 pm

Moonlight wrote:
    mikeseaton wrote:Software Developers - reason - no access to Telnames API possible.

I expect all these things will come.
    Looks good: http://www.teltalk.org/t343-four-important-software-projects-will-be-released-by-telnic-telnames-soon
    fustachio.tel

Zodiac : Pisces Chinese zodiac : Pig

Post by fustachio.tel 2012-10-14, 5:07 pm

Spoiler:

Regardless of proxy, template or current marketing, the point of a .tel is to serve your business interests or other contact information/data that may or may not make you income based on what you provide to others/clients/friends, aka backed up by something you do that's either online or not! but backed up by something! not just imaginary keyword targeted investment scalping for a few pence via a few placed flashing advert blocks or redirected shortened advert links to content (don't get me started on paid phone lines).

Ads and other such things were only added because of the very people you're talking about, the "developers and scalpers (aka scalper investors)" who basically bought up all the domains hoping to sell them on at a profit much like they do with tickets and while they waited they wanted to make money as if they're like any other domain.

This even made sense to me at the time, however no one had the full picture of what was going on as the point of a dot tel was to provide the data so people know who you are, what you do, and how to get it, and as such I don't think these scalper investors (most who have dumped all ready) provided or filled out the information enough so we all knew they only cared about money and running advert dot tels or reselling and they may have given the impression they had other reasons to use it like "I'm a legitimate domain investor and I use my dot tel to be contacted by people who see my regular domains on sedo" etc. when the truth is "I don't do anything but see and gamble on domains and think because I gambled a lot I should have a larger voice on how I can get more money out of the dealer"

So these people pushed and pressured for it based on how many domains they held/lost as the weight of status they believed they were entitled too, I've seen it done before in Second Life aka the "big virtual land barons" who held large islands aka servers for re-selling the fake land who feel they deserve to be listened to more than the people who want to use the service for how it was intended.

Yes reselling was intended but that should not give you a big ego to think you can dictate how something develops in your favor to resell more and quicker, when the market was the end user that had their own needs and actually provided the end service, you have a voice but you don't dictate.

So back to telnic because they "the scalpers" were the loudest voice "the most needy" which telnic mistook for "worth listening to" they got their ads, telnic clearly was sick to death of pandering to "scalpers" who want a quick buck without actually trying to start a business or run one, or provide anything other of themselves to 3rd parties than background noise so they stopped listening.

Many of you bought many domains and had a legitimate plan to provide a service, aka "developers" and even if that was API related it's fine (I'm not here to tell you what's right and wrong, judge for yourselves, this is just my opinion).

So I don't consider that way of investing/developing bad, it's the scalper type "domain investors" who I believe telnic are sick to death of and want to stop providing support towards, as it's wasting time they could spend on developing and marketing to the right demographic.

They got the extra themes and the ads, and if they can't provide a legitimate service through the public dot tel proxy with ads, other than this constant attempt to squeeze penny's from them, then cleanly they're not what telnic want's to listen to because they're doing nothing but wasting money and everyone's time who visits a dot tel.

So the old way was clearly not working and not attracting new business start ups and new people who are getting on with their day to day stuff aka actually doing something other than asking to squeeze a little more out of a rock when telnic wanted people who can sell rocks not squeeze them for profit.

I believe true profit is made by backing up and providing a service, sure you can make money selling domains and sure true domain investors are entitled to be contacted for this aka have a dot tel contact profile, but if all you're doing is trying to resell dot tel domains along side regular ones and begging for more ways to monetize it then you're part of the problem as you're not doing anything that attracts interesting customers who want to buy a product or get something interesting or a service, you're just attracting more of the same scalper investors who wan't a quick buck.

You can talk the tel talk but can you walk the walk?

Don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk. It means: talk is cheap, but can you follow through with action? It is similiar to: don't let your mouth write a check that your a** can't cash.

mikeseaton can clearly follow through but can others?

Telnames want's others who will talk the talk and walk the walk, not people who want to talk and turn tail and give up when they can't resell or get adverts on it or whine and cry over each and every little issue that arises and is not targeted towards them, their customers focus should be on the service they provide to 3rd parties, telnames at least now allows us to spend a short time to do that.

So Software Developers? yes they're needed they have a self employed online business, so why should't they have a nice contact card to get their name out there?

As for Software Developers doing something with their telnames dot tel I have no idea if they will open an API and allow that in the future, but all the basics are there so I don't see a need for Software Developers to work with telnames other than intergrating dns lookups on 3rd party aps and openid logins etc.

Which all works and is easy to do for them so other than this as it's a fixed structure with less problems they have less to worry about and can focus on what matters their clients who want them to code and who want to know how to contact them.

Time is money/code is money so why should they waste it messing with huge websites when the goal is to make income via getting clients to contact you? aka telnames, fixed structure, no issues, no worries, sorted that's why I'm happy, just finding a blog theme back in the day took me more than 4 days searching free sites.

If I'd have had money to invest then in marketing materials I would not have known what I wanted and it would have taken a hell of a lot longer because I'm more towards developed artistic growth than a "set path" aka I'll know when it's done, until then I'm working on it but even at this stage of a "work in progress" on what I'm trying to achieve I look better than other people.

So all this mess is all because they the "scalpers" could't do anything with them so telnic gave them new templates and ads because telnic wanted to listen at the beginning as they didn't understand the loudest is not always the brightest(includes me), what telnames shows is that they're marketing to people who actually want to do something for themselves or others and not just who want to make a quick buck on a resell or a dot tel view, and so all the above people and types of business should be welcome but not in the way of traditional domain thinking.
    Phillipe
    Phillipe

Post by Phillipe 2012-10-14, 5:32 pm

WHat a great insight, Mr. Fustăchio! Your thoughts make absolutely sense and give me a new and very positive perception about Telnic.
    maxi
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by maxi 2012-10-16, 9:31 am

As I undеrstооd, Tеlnic/Tеlnаmеs much еmphаsis lаid оn thе smаll businеss оwnеrs. Thеу all, bу еxpеctаtiоns of Tеlnic аnd of a lot of dоmаin-invеstоrs, wоuld bе hаppу tо hаvе thеir TELs. And all thеsе smаll businеss оwnеrs do not rеgistеr thеm nоw in millions simplу bеcаusе thеу dо nоt knоw thаt TELs еxist. This idеа is tаkеn аs аxiоm, аs а fаct, which dоеs nоt nееd tо bе prоvеd.

Abоut of thrее уеаrs аgо I rеgistеrеd TEL fоr mу friеnd whо is smаll businеssmаn аnd sculptоr аnd dо his living frоm mаking cеmеtеrу mоnumеnts аnd tоmbstоnеs. Thе nаmе оf thаt TEL (nоw аlrеаdу drоppеd) wаs Pаminklаi_tеl, which mеаns “tоmbstоnеs” in Lithuаnian languаge.

Aftеr thrее уеаrs оf hаving it mу friеnd dеcidеd tо drоp it bеcаusе hе sаid, thаt hе dоеs nоt nееd а sitе withоut picturеs with еxаmplеs оf his tоmbstоnеs. In thrее уеаrs timе nо оnе custоmеr’s cаll cаmе frоm it tо mу friеnd. And thаt TEL wаs drоppеd.

A уеаr аgо I mаnаgеd tо cаught fоr mу friеnd а dоmаin www.Paminklai.net (which wаs drоppеd аt thаt timе bу sоmеbоdу) аnd five month ago I mаdе thеrе fоr thаt mу friеnd a vеrу simplе twо-pаgеs-sitе with fеw picturеs. Nоw hе is hаppу tо hаvе it.

Sо, it is nоt аn аxiоm, thаt аll smаll businеss оwnеrs (оr еvеn а big pаrt оf thеm) wоuld bе hаppу tо hаvе thеir TELs. And sо Tеlnic could dо а grеаt mistаkе if thеу will ignоre аll оthеr grоups оf pеоplе whо hаvе TELs nоw.

Post by Killing 2012-10-16, 10:20 am

@maxi

Great example! This is the reason why the old .tel control panel needs to be improved urgently - with the possibility to manage or upload pictures and with a neoteric design.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-09, 7:40 am