The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

+2
mikeseaton
JH
6 posters

Past, present and future of .tel

JH
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Warning level : 100 %

Past, present and future of .tel Empty Past, present and future of .tel

Post by JH 2012-10-28, 10:50 am

The Product

After the introduction of phone and internet services .tel is probably one of the most important inventions for the merger of phone and internet.
    Central feature of .tel is the storage of all data inside of the DNS. The problem with this ability is nobody is able to see this benefit as long the DNS is not used as central interface for data exchange.
    People who get in touch with .tel see only a limited website service, but .tel is so much more.
    Since phone and internet are growing together, there is no other technical solution that supports fast communication, automatic data exchange and direct accessibility better than .tel.
    Even the introduction of almost 2,000 new TLD won't change the fact the concept for using the DNS is unique.

The Past

Okay, the past development has been disappointing for all customers (including domain investors and end users) and for Telnic themselves.
    After millions of registrations have been expected in the early years activities have been reduced a lot from all sides.
    This is caused by the difficulties to recognize the benefits of .tel for most internet users. .tel looks very boring in comparison to common websites and beside a few early adopters nobody really knows about the additional functionalities .tel can be used for.

The Present

Telnic have adjusted their strategy to the lack of success and are moving on with much slower speed.
    They trust on registrars to develop complemented services for .tel, but Telnic doesn't provide a complete service themselves.
    For the old control panel adequate website design is missing; for Telnames subdomains are missing.
    In this situation it is very clear nobody will be able to make any kind of money with .tel during the next approximately 5 years.

The Future

Do you remember the launch of the first TLD in the eighties? .com stayed unknown for the public at least for 10 years before it have become a big success.
    Very often new technologies need long time until they can be implemented into advanced technologies.
    For .tel it is the same. It has the potential to replace phone numbers. If this vision will become reality, every human on this planet could demand to own a .tel.
    Even it can last decades until this scenario will become reality the chance for it is big.

The Conclusion

Due to the slow software development and the cancelation of every communication from Telnic I have lost my interest in developing websites for .tel completely since 2009.
    In addition due to the low general awareness level for .tel I currently don't see any benefit it providing any content on .tel, because who will visit them anyway?
    I've reduced my activities for .tel to a minimum (exactly like Telnic) and that will stay this way until Telnic will become active again or .tel will reach mainstream through different measures.
    I'm also asking myself why should I invest any time since nothing can be heard from Telnic since long.
    So after cleaning my portfolio I'm putting all my .tel into the closet and will bring them out again when the time for .tel has come.
    I'm still probably one of the strongest believer in .tel, and people will call me crazy for this believe. I don't mind!
    We speak again in 10 years!
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

.tel domain : MIkeSeaton.tel

Past, present and future of .tel Empty Re: Past, present and future of .tel

Post by mikeseaton 2012-10-28, 1:01 pm

Jens, welcome back from hibernation, albeit only briefly !

I can understand the actions planned by you in your "Conclusion", though I would question the wisdom of hanging on for such a long period, paying out thousands of dollars over a 10-year period on what must still be a large collection of .tel domains.

I actually think the "crunch point" for the success or failure of .tel will come very much earlier, certainly within the next 12 months, as software developers time and domain investors money gets focussed on the 1000+ new gTLDs being launched shortly.

However, since Telnames (the only form of .tel now being marketed) have clearly demonstrated that they have no real interest in software developers (no access to Telnames API), domain investors (no ability to monetise through AdSense) or power users (no subdomains), I guess they won't care too much if we all drift away ?

You are going (but may be back in 10 years), Telrific appears to have gone, so many others have just quietly left the .tel project, and as for myself, well I am going to ???????? very soon !

http://MikeSeaton.tel
    Sunrise
    Sunrise
    Insider
    Insider

Post by Sunrise 2012-10-28, 9:50 pm

mikeseaton wrote:You are going (but may be back in 10 years), Telrific appears to have gone, so many others have just quietly left the .tel project, and as for myself, well I am going to ???????? very soon !
    Sad as it is Telnic have proved they don't mind if domain investors go away. They refuse all communication with them and even kicked you out from their forum. In case Jens is right other people will join later, but I guess it is like playing the odds.
    silvano
    silvano

.tel domain : albenga.tel
    Number of .tel domains : 3

Post by silvano 2012-10-29, 9:07 am

JH, nice review of the situation of the .tel domain.

I think that Telnic, trying to turn (with Telnames) .tel sites in imitations of normal websites, is wrong.

Tel is unique because it is a point of contact within the DNS. Trying to turn it into a normal web page is a mistake. There are already 300 domains, plus more 1000 in future, that permit doing great and colored sites!

Tel domain is unique and should remain unique, at the cost of remaining a niche phenomenon.

Sorry for domain investors...
    Sunrise
    Sunrise
    Insider
    Insider

Post by Sunrise 2012-10-29, 9:22 am

silvano wrote:Tel domain is unique and should remain unique, at the cost of remaining a niche phenomenon.
    Who will profit from .tel if it stays a niche product?
    maxi
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by maxi 2012-10-29, 9:59 am

silvano wrote:Tel domain is unique and should remain unique, at the cost of remaining a niche phenomenon.
    If TEL is unique that does not mean that TEL should visually look ugly and outdated. But it looks ugly and outdated now.

.tel domain : albenga.tel
    Number of .tel domains : 3

Post by silvano 2012-10-29, 4:34 pm

maxi wrote:... that does not mean that TEL should visually look ugly and outdated. But it looks ugly and outdated now.

I agree that the look of the .tel is not the best, but it is functional.

< laugh > Not even the white pages or the yellow pages are graphically beautiful, but we use them too. < /laugh >
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

.tel domain : MIkeSeaton.tel

Post by mikeseaton 2012-10-30, 10:20 am

silvano wrote:I agree that the look of the .tel is not the best, but it is functional.

< laugh > Not even the white pages or the yellow pages are graphically beautiful, but we use them too. < /laugh >
    There is a big difference of course between Yellow Pages and .Tel !

YP has a structured directory to enable you to drill down to a business in the location you require - .Tel's "Global Directory" has yet to materialise.

Will it ever - if so who will develop it ?

And when ?

http://MikeSeaton.tel
    TelFan
    TelFan

Post by TelFan 2012-10-30, 8:01 pm

silvano wrote:< laugh > Not even the white pages or the yellow pages are graphically beautiful, but we use them too. < /laugh >
    True!
    Yellow Pages have a lot of disadvantages in comparison to .tel, as example you can't update them that comfortable and the design options are even more limited.
    But the big advantage of Yellow Pages is they exist for long already and people know them from the start of the internet and beyond that for much longer before the interent was even invented.
    The problem with .tel is that it is not known by users and users think it is just another (unpopular) domain extension.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-16, 11:22 pm