The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

What forum members think about trends of TEL registration and renewal prices?

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

What forum members think about trends of TEL registration and renewal prices? Empty What forum members think about trends of TEL registration and renewal prices?

Post by Telnic 2014-12-30, 6:04 pm

maximka04-12-2012 07:42 PM

---------- deleted for privacy because of forum migration ---------

mikeseaton04-12-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximka (Post 22078)

May be anybody knows who decides about these prices? Telnic ot ICANN?

[size]
    Neither - the registrar decides on their reg/renew/transfer prices - I have seen .tels offered from below $10 to $35.

Obviously the price they have to pay the registry Telnic and the small fee that ICANN gets produces a minimum cost - after that it's down to what a registrar thinks they can get for the service they provide (and the image they have in the marketplace).

In the past the service offering has more or less been identical, but we are now entering a phase where it looks like the template provided by Telnames (with associated CTH input facility) will not be the same as that offered by registrars such as Name.com etc.

Unless of course a deal is done between them - but the plain fact is that Telnames is offering a new template (and associated modified CTH) that they have developed, albeit at the Telnic offices and obviously involving the Telnic staff.

I personally think the .tel registry Telnic Ltd. will be sold within a year or so and this is a very smart move to give Telnic shareholders an exit strategy whilst maintaining a stronghold on .tel sales through the production of a desirable new template.

Time Will .Tel if I am right - here are my other predictions for 2012/2013.

Mike Seaton[/size]

Geo04-12-2012 08:47 PM

Mike do you think that Telnic is being forced to change their business plan due to less then expected adoption of Tel and therefore unsuccessful business model? It sure seems like they are struggling to get enough development out the door as fast as they had hoped and promised. 

I think you are right; by the looks of it, major change is likely, including a change of ownership. 

Who would make an ideal owner of Tel with the deep enough pockets and experience and vision to make it successful? The truth is it costs a lot of money to make a lot of money, and as I see it a lot of development is needed to make .Tel a roaring success. Question is can Tel become a victim of its own success in that can the DNS infrastructure handle the kind of Tel ecosystem that tens of millions of active users would bring, especially in light of the kind of features I'm envisioning it will take to attract that kind of subscriber base? Moreover, can pricing of .Tels be attractive and profitable at the same time? Who is going to pay $25 a year for what they can get on other social networking platforms for free? 

As a small business I'd rather invest $10 a year in my own brand.com which I can slap on a simple contact us page, rather than be limited by the restrictions of a .Tel. The real promise of a .Tel is if the critical mass is reached for Telcos to integrate technical means to dial others via .Tel address. 

Or as I see it, for individuals and small businesses to put up a decent .Tel website without need for hosting. Easy Simple Fast Fun and Search Engine friendly. On top of that throw in Telpages discoverability... and there is value. But the Easy simple fast and fun feature set needs considerable development and imho enlargement of vision that is currently lacking.

maximka04-12-2012 09:04 PM

maximka04-13-2012 09:07 AM

maximka04-13-2012 08:11 PM

teltheworld04-13-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 22080)
    Neither - the registrar decides on their reg/renew/transfer prices - I have seen .tels offered from below $10 to $35.

Obviously the price they have to pay the registry Telnic and the small fee that ICANN gets produces a minimum cost - after that it's down to what a registrar thinks they can get for the service they provide (and the image they have in the marketplace).

In the past the service offering has more or less been identical, but we are now entering a phase where it looks like the template provided by Telnames (with associated CTH input facility) will not be the same as that offered by registrars such as Name.com etc.

Unless of course a deal is done between them - but the plain fact is that Telnames is offering a new template (and associated modified CTH) that they have developed, albeit at the Telnic offices and obviously involving the Telnic staff.

I personally think the .tel registry Telnic Ltd. will be sold within a year or so and this is a very smart move to give Telnic shareholders an exit strategy whilst maintaining a stronghold on .tel sales through the production of a desirable new template.

Time Will .Tel if I am right - here are my other predictions for 2012/2013.

Mike Seaton

[size]
    Hi Mike

I think a sticking point could be that although .Tels in their present form may receive some enhancements if registered through Telnames ie possible new Templates possible added features in the CTH. etc

What we have in its present form is 'Technically' still a very useable product, though maybe not as desirable as a new product may be with all the possible extra bells and whistles.

Therefore I don't see an obligation to offer any concessions to any existing .Tel owners although of course I hope that I am wrong.

I 'think' directory builders could be the very last thing that they want because of the extra resources needed to run them.

So just suppose that they would not allow you to upgrade or transfer unless you wanted a single page .Tel with no Sub domains?[/size]

mikeseaton04-13-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teltheworld (Post 22160)
    I 'think' directory builders could be the very last thing that they want because of the extra resources needed to run them.

[size]
    You may well be right.

There are some on this forum who have put a huge amount of effort into building directories - http://TaxiNumbers.tel is an excellent example - I'm just not sure that Telnic sees the business revenue as worthwhile to them any more from directories.

Think about it from Telnic's point of view , not ours on this forum:

1. Directories use a disproportionate amount of server resources.

2. A Directory with 2000 subdomains/folders, each containing the details of one business, represents a potential loss of up to 2000 .tel registrations.

3. Ian Bowen-Morris - recruited from Yell - has been doing deals with "Yellow Pages" directories so that EACH directory entry registers it's own .tel.

I think several forum members have done excellent work in creating directories - it's just you need to look at things from Telnic's current point of view (taking into account the Telnames effect) if you're trying to understand the confusing situation we are trying to decipher - in the absence of an official statement from Telnic !

Mike Seaton[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-14-2012 01:05 AM

My ideal scenario would be selling tels to individual businesses but with additional SEO links from a local or product-oriented tel directory that only lists tel domains.
    Mark

Geo04-14-2012 04:36 AM

Okay then from Telnic's point of view how could Tel directories benefit the Tel ecosystem, aside from attracting folks like us to buy up a lot of generic domains? I know what I want to do with my Tel directories, and I know how I'm going to make them useful and contribute to the Tel ecosystem, but if my directory competes with the Telpages directory then there does appear to be a kind of conflict of interest on Telnic's part, which they maybe didn't realize earlier on. Maybe they will have to distinguish in their directory listings between single point vs directory type Tels.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-14-2012 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo (Post 22177)
    Okay then from Telnic's point of view how could Tel directories benefit the Tel ecosystem, aside from attracting folks like us to buy up a lot of generic domains?

[size]
    Wow, I just wrote about this.

I don't see generic directories being in conflict with Telpages at all, but an organized mass of links to existing .tel domains and their real-time contact information when created in this manner. Furthermore, organize subdomains where you can sell advertising to businesses. Visitors see their banner first, same way Google works. As well, directories give an extra link to a business with more SEO juice at the same time as benefiting owners. Google indexes the directories and the links to other tel domains. Seems like a win-win situation for directory owners, tel domain owners and the telosphere. The more links to tel domains, the better the ecosystem.

Mark[/size]

teltheworld04-14-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 22165)
    You may well be right.

There are some on this forum who have put a huge amount of effort into building directories - http://TaxiNumbers.tel is an excellent example - I'm just not sure that Telnic sees the business revenue as worthwhile to them any more from directories.

Think about it from Telnic's point of view , not ours on this forum:

1. Directories use a disproportionate amount of server resources.

2. A Directory with 2000 subdomains/folders, each containing the details of one business, represents a potential loss of up to 2000 .tel registrations.

3. Ian Bowen-Morris - recruited from Yell - has been doing deals with "Yellow Pages" directories so that EACH directory entry registers it's own .tel.

I think several forum members have done excellent work in creating directories - it's just you need to look at things from Telnic's current point of view (taking into account the Telnames effect) if you're trying to understand the confusing situation we are trying to decipher - in the absence of an official statement from Telnic !

Mike Seaton

[size]
    I absolutely agree with you Mike, a lot of People have been looking down the wrong end of the Telescope, you need to look at the end game from Telnic and Telnames point of view.

An interesting point may be that Telnames if they wanted to could go in another direction and leave Telpages behind.

So why might they want to do that?

IMO that could be to do with a possible tie in with Yellow Pages and anyone who may be thinking Yellow Pages could be Superseded by something else IMO is in need of a reality check.

Because overlooked by many Yellow Pages has a built in 'killer application' of its own!

ITS GOT AN INDEX!!!!!

So there isn't any need for any 'Keywords' as they are part and parcel of this directory!

In this respect it doesn't matter any number of 'hoots' If you are joe the plumber, or joanne the plumber. 

Because as long as you are a Plumber or whatever profession you choose, all Joe Public has to do, is to go to Yellow Pages On Line and then look under Plumbers or whatever Trade you are in and they will find you!

No need for any Keywords as they are already built in and you don't get in unless you want to get in. So that minimizes the risk of any Blank Pages.

If Joe Public has a One Page Tel that's possibly all that they will ever need and if that goes in Yellow Pages as well, then that is a match made in Heaven IMO[/size]

mikeseaton04-14-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teltheworld (Post 22188)
    I absolutely agree with you Mike, a lot of People have been looking down the wrong end of the Telescope, you need to look at the end game from Telnic and Telnames point of view.

An interesting point may be that Telnames if they wanted to could go in another direction and leave Telpages behind.

[size]
    Telnames could easily create their own Tel Search Engine displaying all content Google has indexed - far more than currently displayed by Telpages.

Takes no more than a day to code/test - here's the one I did which I use when I want info on .tels - http://www.net-link.com/tel

Mike Seaton

PS. Images are displayed on some results when using Google's database as a source - try this http://www.net-link.com/tel/search.asp?q=vancouver[/size]

Blunderer04-14-2012 04:46 PM

I have been trying to point this out to forum members for about three years, but most have been gazing over the fence at the rich kid next doors' toy box and seeing all the shiny things.

YPs are established, easily recognisable worldwide, and EXPENSIVE. In a world where cost cutting is the name of the game, you can cut a lot of cost from your directory organisation if you get the customer to fill in and be wholly responsible for the provision and maintenance of information displayed. All you have to do is provide the directory structure and a suitable vehicle - in the form of a global brand - Yellow.

But existing YP businesses will never be able to reduce their costs to our start up level - we just don't set our sights so high - they have to explain why and what they are going to cut.

Another minus point for YPs is that they are not "local" enough. People these days realise that "money's made round to go around" e.g. to be spent locally - supporting the community.

However, the biggest problem with a strategy of providing a directory structure for small businesses to link their .tels to is the fact that small businesses have no interest in, or time to populate and maintain their own .tel - or any other type of site. Have a look and you will find that most small business sites are out of date and poorly populated. That is why small businesses used YPs in the first place - they get a phone call, give some details, someone else does the work, they pay £50+, job done - no need for Adwords or SEO either.

YPs could buy/provide .tels to the businesses that advertised with them but at ADDITIONAL cost to the YP OR the advertiser.

With .tel and TelPages we have a directory structure (with the added benefit of keyword search) but we do not have a BRAND. We do not have a key information requirement. We do not have a common colour scheme.......yet the mobile proxy should be the theme to follow, and we can kick the ass out of YPs on price, and you can sell fifty low cost subscriptions over the phone in a day, because that is what small businesses want - their name before the customer - someone else sorting out the input - and MOBILE is the point to push.

Personal and professional uptake of .tels may improve through Telnames but I do not think "small business" uptake will be great because they still have to do the work. If it is, I can still undercut YPs, linking their .tels to my local directory and letting TelPages take the search strain.

TelPages, not Yellow Pages, is where we want to be.

dottel.net04-14-2012 05:48 PM

been trying to keep up with all the posts - a little difficult right now as the increase in activity here coincided with my travelling!

just had to comment after reading your post blunderer.... couldn't agree more. accurately reflects the market (well at least the UK market) and echoes my sentiments and views from what i've experienced interacting with local small businesses in the UK.

telrific04-15-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderer (Post 22196)
    I have ... TelPages, not Yellow Pages, is where we want to be.

[size]
    That exactly right, and the whole point of the Yellow Search effort. Bear with me.

There are not only hundreds of countries with established, expensive YPs, there are also many countries with local directories of other colors.

Telnic has already reached out successfully to those who are providing .TEL as their brand and we have seen them for many months, yp's and others.

There will never be a .TEL Branded page, because they are all marked .tel, but open to provide customization to registrants everywhere thereafter, as it should be.

That leaves individual or group branding, other.

Individual - Businesses or Individuals with their own color schemes, etc.
    Group - Businesses or Individuals with their own color schemes, etc.

Being that the Individual category is obvious, here are a few groups:

fonecta.tel
    azizsalon.tel
    farmersbank.tel

As you have recognized, there is however a single predominant color related to this whole global industry - Yellow and Yellow Pages, all around the world.

So the idea must be to change from Yellow to Purple, or at least a Purple Mark.

This begins with embracing Yellow Pages and transitioning first the Customer mentality of owning and operating their own Domain Name associated with Yellow Pages and Listings.

(And better a .TEL supported Yellow effort than the others - Yellow Search)

1. Embrace - Yellow Search www.ys.tel
    2. Transition - Yellow Names www.yellownames.com
    3. Cohesion - Yellow Search www.yellowsearch.org

The whole point however has to be that all these are in their own master global directory - Telpages.com

It's a long process, but takes no less to accomplish as a global effort.

No country is going to drop millions of dollars in Yellow Pages investment and drop it for .tel and Telpages tomorrow.

No Business or Individual serious about their choices will drop them (quickly) either.

Yellow Search is the first .TEL and Global Brand to be "Over" all YP's and .com's and with the power of transition. (cheap).

:o[/size]

telrific04-15-2012 11:48 AM

To put a quote on it:

"If you're trying to get to the moon you don't wake up every day and try to jump higher,
    you look at the gravity of the situation and you build a rocket."

tel4rent04-15-2012 01:19 PM

Nicely said telrific

telrific04-16-2012 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tel4rent (Post 22225)
    Nicely said telrific

[size]
    Thanks !

:)[/size]

Blunderer04-16-2012 12:27 PM

Does anyone know which registrar has the highest number of .tel domains registered with them?
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

What forum members think about trends of TEL registration and renewal prices? Empty Re: What forum members think about trends of TEL registration and renewal prices?

Post by Telnic 2014-12-30, 6:05 pm

dottel.net04-16-2012 12:39 PM

i'd guess:
    telchina first (around 80k domains)
    dm, name second
    and then probably dynadot

telrific04-16-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderer (Post 22256)
    Does anyone know which registrar has the highest number of .tel domains registered with them?

[size]
    I can't swear to it, but I believe Mark has some information on that.

:confused:[/size]

dottel.net04-16-2012 12:55 PM

it can indeed be derived if someone bulk ran the whois on all the domains on the zone file.
    i only run on the drops for my Dottel Drop Tool hence my guess.

Blunderer04-16-2012 01:25 PM

Thank you for that. It supports my assumption.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-16-2012 01:33 PM

I used to maintain all that information but got too massive to run whois queries, even once per week. So no longer have it.
    Mark

tony mayo04-16-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderer (Post 22196)
    TelPages, not Yellow Pages, is where we want to be.

[size]
    Here’s both an interesting and practical example, showing the power of .tel over YP and affirmation of @Blunderer's comment.

I had an email last week from a professional person whose business I had listed in one of my well-developed local town business directories.

This person was in a panic because having searched Google for 'name of their business', the .tel listing came up top in Google search – but unfortunately the phone number was wrong (as it is in some other directories).

The person demanded that I remove the listing immediately. 

I updated the phone number in seconds (using my.tel app on iPhone as I was away from the office) and let the professional know I would remove the listing if they still wanted me to. I didn’t hear from them since.

But here’s the irony:
    The basic .tel listing that cost this particular professional absolutely nothing outranks their featured YP website which I understand costs from at least €300 upwards per year! 

We have every reason to be positive about the future of .tel. 

If it was worth investing in 3 years ago, because Forum members and others saw its potential and technical possibilities, then all is still possible - except we may have to wait a little longer to realise our plans.

(I won't put up the link to the Google search referred to above for obvious reasons.)[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-16-2012 04:00 PM

This is the power of real-time contact information. Something YP cannot do without embracing .tel technology, with Telpages being the certified broker for the industry.
    Mark

tel4rent04-16-2012 07:01 PM

@Tony Mayo,

Funny! i just had the same incident yesterday with one of my directory...

telrific04-16-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 22268)
    This is the power of real-time contact information. Something YP cannot do without embracing .tel technology, with Telpages being the certified broker for the industry.
    Mark

[size]
    They can't be the ".com" of this type of tld, that's for sure !

.TEL wins as the Original !

:cool:[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-10, 1:31 am