The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Yell.com gets the cheque book out...

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Yell.com gets the cheque book out... Empty Yell.com gets the cheque book out...

Post by Telnic 2014-12-30, 6:22 pm

mikeseaton05-17-2012 04:16 PM

Yell.com gets the cheque book out...

...and has announced the purchase of DIY free web site builder http://www.Moonfruit.com - details can be found athttp://support.moonfruit.com/home

Is there still an opportunity here for .tel - or is it too late with Yell.com ?

Probably one for Ian Bowen-Morris to answer !

Mike Seaton

dottel.net05-17-2012 04:21 PM

not sure if folks already know, but yell do own keywords.tel - they haven't done anything with it for 3 years though... so not sure if it was just a defensive buy or part of a wider strategy.

mikeseaton05-17-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 23704)
    not sure if folks already know, but yell do own keywords.tel...defensive buy or part of a wider strategy.

[size]
    http://Keywords.tel - what a great name to own - surprised Yell haven't taken advantage of the 3000 folder limit and created SEO links to all their major categories !

Mike Seaton[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)05-17-2012 04:34 PM

And they renewed Yell.tel recently.
    Mark

mikeseaton05-17-2012 05:22 PM

Has anyone tried out http://www.Moonfruit.com to build a free basic web site ?

Be interesting to hear your views on the pros/cons compared to chargeable .tel domains !

Mike Seaton

dottel.net05-17-2012 05:27 PM

haven't tried it but have used wix in the past - very similar service/concept.

was fantastic and very easy to use and build.

note: you can still host on your own domain but obviously have to pay for that, plus removing the branding, additional features all cost money

Simon G05-17-2012 07:59 PM

Tried it previously, pretty good but sometimes slow to resolve.
    Pretty interesting news mike thanks.

dialaroom05-17-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 23711)
    Has anyone tried out http://www.Moonfruit.com to build a free basic web site ?

Be interesting to hear your views on the pros/cons compared to chargeable .tel domains !

Mike Seaton

[size]
    Not sure how you can even compare the two. Visual web builders are always an attractive thing to offer, but their end products are at best ok, just look at the source code they develop.

Sort of reminds me of old joke.

"Web developer goes into a bar but leaves as soon as he sees the table layout"[/size]

Blunderer05-17-2012 10:36 PM

How much did they pay?

wibblenut05-17-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderer (Post 23727)
    How much did they pay?

[size]
    They paid $29m[/size]

Blunderer05-17-2012 11:05 PM

Money down the drain - clutching at straws.

mikeseaton05-17-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wibblenut (Post 23729)
    They paid $29m

[size]
    They could have bought Telnic for less than that, complete with developed CTH.

Ian Bowen-Morris used to be Head of Marketing for Yell.com - see http://www.telnic.org/downloads/Ian-...ppointment.pdf - I wonder if he was/is able to put a case for Yell.com being interested in Telnic ?

My guess though is that this horse has well and truly bolted from the stable !

Mike Seaton[/size]

Blunderer05-17-2012 11:15 PM

We have NEVER wanted anything to do with yellow page providers.

supercyberheroes05-17-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 23735)
    They could have bought Telnic for less than that, complete with developed CTH.

Ian Bowen-Morris used to be Head of Marketing for Yell.com - see http://www.telnic.org/downloads/Ian-...ppointment.pdf - I wonder if he was/is able to put a case for Yell.com being interested in Telnic ?

My guess though is that this horse has well and truly bolted from the stable !

Mike Seaton

[size]
    mike if yell buy telnic will do it only with one purpose to shoot down .tel, more or less like when amazon purchased mobipocket.com this company was the leader in sale books for mobile phone; amazon got it and is letting it die slow at least change strategic.

regards
    http://supercyberheroes.tel[/size]

mikeseaton05-17-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supercyberheroes (Post 23741)
    mike if yell buy telnic will do it only with one purpose to shoot down .tel

[size]
    @supercyberheroes

You may well be right - but ask Telnic shareholders if they would rather be shot down with $29 million safely tucked away in their pockets or carry on with the steady decline in .tel registrations that is currently happening - with nothing in their pockets at all !

Mike Seaton[/size]

telrific05-18-2012 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderer (Post 23739)
    We have NEVER wanted anything to do with yellow page providers.

[size]
    Telnic sure has been doing alot of business and development around the world with Yellow Pages providers, and sharing the news loudly with the world, interesting statement.

:o[/size]

mikeseaton05-18-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 23760)
    Telnic sure has been doing alot of business and development around the world with Yellow Pages providers, and sharing the news loudly with the world, interesting statement.

[size]
    @Telrific

You beat me to it - I was going to say the same thing !

Though I'm not sure that any of the Yellow Pages deals have used .tel in the obvious way it was designed to be used - enter your data once in the DNS (via the CTH, from any internet connected device) and let the YP directory extract it as required i.e. .tel being used as a data repository accessable by all software programs.

Does anyone know of a YP directory which uses .tel like this ?

Mike Seaton[/size]

Blunderer05-18-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 23760)
    Telnic sure has been doing alot of business and development around the world with Yellow Pages providers, and sharing the news loudly with the world.

[size]
    A shame, isn't it? All that time and resource, wasted.[/size]

Blunderer05-18-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 23776)
    @Telrific

You beat me to it - I was going to say the same thing !

Though I'm not sure that any of the Yellow Pages deals have used .tel in the obvious way it was designed to be used - enter your data once in the DNS (via the CTH, from any internet connected device) and let the YP directory extract it as required i.e. .tel being used as a data repository accessable by all software programs.

Does anyone know of a YP directory which uses .tel like this ?

Mike Seaton

[size]
    Don't hold your breath, Mike.

TELPAGES - Just add content![/size]

telrific05-18-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderer (Post 23780)
    Don't hold your breath, Mike.

TELPAGES - Just add content!

[size]
    TelPages is a directory of .TEL owners and users.

Content is an email address and a telephone number, maybe includes a link to a social network, or a website.

That's all it was ever meant to be to begin with, a .TEL lookup without the Google garbage along with it.

Now Facebook is a better page and a better page lookup because TelPages looks like Google garbage.

That's the content, garbage over primary .TEL's.

added: I see alot more "wasted" pages by the Yellow Pages providers looking better in TelPages than most others, that's for sure !

:([/size]
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Yell.com gets the cheque book out... Empty Re: Yell.com gets the cheque book out...

Post by Telnic 2014-12-30, 6:22 pm

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)05-18-2012 05:55 PM

I've said it many times before, Telpages needs to be a clearinghouse of relevant, validated, real-time information for distribution to subscribers like YP directories. That way only current information is used and displayed on subscribers pages, not static links that change over time. Of course you first need those subscribers, of which not many exist until critical mass is reached.
    Mark

telrific05-18-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 23782)
    I've said it many times before, Telpages needs to be a clearinghouse of relevant, validated, real-time information for distribution to subscribers like YP directories. That way only current information is used and displayed on subscribers pages, not static links that change over time. Of course you first need those subscribers, of which not many exist until critical mass is reached.
    Mark

[size]
    Agreed, but the only way "subdirectories" are valid is if they use the primary .TEL's of the subject content they provide, versus just stuffing .TEL's with information that is subject to change.

A link to a valid .TEL is worth more than a stuffed folder, it's the whole point of .TEL, live information, like you said.

I still can't comprehend why a .TEL icon is not used to distinguish a .TEL from other weblinks when listed as a record ???

:o[/size]

mikeseaton05-18-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 23782)
    Of course you first need those subscribers, of which not many exist until critical mass is reached.

[size]
    Mark, do you sometimes get the feeling the .tel project just goes round in circles, chasing it's tail ?

Here's Henri's post re Phase 2 which is about using the DNS as a single source for all software programs to access - once critical mass is reached !

Date of post is 28 March 2011 - well over ayear ago - but how much closer are we now to this DNS-centric objective !

Mike Seaton[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)05-18-2012 06:08 PM

Yep, I'm waiting for lift off.
    Mark

telrific05-18-2012 06:16 PM

It all comes down to relevant information comes from the authority, or author, of the information.

Directory operators are not the authority, and wise operators only provide links to the authority.

Google would be nothing if it listed information versus simply providing a link to the authority, or author, of webpages.

If I provide a list of website links, at least it respects the authority, and let's them validate it thereafter.

If I provide a list of .TEL links, I am a valid directory operator.

If I just provide information, acting as an authority for another, well, good luck is all !

Yellow SearchPeoplePlacetelrific ! are all examples of good directories - no authoring, just valid links to authors !

In the middle of updating, but you get the idea anyway.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)05-18-2012 06:35 PM

@telrific, yes, the best directory is an organized/categorized list of links to authoritative sources, and the best of those sources would .tel with live content managed by the site owner. No copying, only a single source of content information and/or consumable content.
    Mark

telrific05-18-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 23787)
    @telrific, yes, the best directory is an organized/categorized list of links to authoritative sources, and the best of those sources would .tel with live content managed by the site owner. No copying, only a single source of content information and/or consumable content.
    Mark

[size]
    It was the whole "big idea" to begin with, I just don't understand how it, the premise and execution, got so screwed up in communication and delivery !

A. Individual .TEL - Authority
    B. Business .TEL - Authority
    C. TelPages Directory - Algorithm (generally always a bit random)
    D. Category/Geo Sub-Directory .TEL (generally never a bit random)

All .TEL Links/Linked is the idea ...

... Sad We've Had To Use "DotAnythingElse" For Directory Authority/Author Links To Begin With, but at least using the ".com" or whatever the authority is using shows validity.

added: ( Ultimately, I think this is the Telnames point, focus on 'A' and 'B', we get 'D', plus some 'A' and 'B' )[/size]

telrific05-18-2012 07:20 PM

The Advantages Of What .TEL Can Become Shows:

A. Individual Author/Authority - Single or Multiple Page, Self Focus, (Multiple Page Style May Have Sideline Advertising)
    B. Business Author/Authority - Single or Multiple Page, Self Focus, (Multiple Page Style May Have Sideline Advertising)
    C. Category/Geo Author/Authority - Multiple Pages, A. and B. Focus, (With Or Without Sideline Advertising)
    D. TelPages Search Engine - Serves All The Above, (No Advertising)

Everyone stands to benefit when the above is operated correctly with .TEL links.

:cool:

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 4:58 pm