The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

two new directories for food lovers...

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

two new directories for food lovers... Empty two new directories for food lovers...

Post by Telnic 2014-12-31, 6:15 pm

dottel.net08-09-2010 07:53 PM

two new directories for food lovers...

Looking for a greek restaurant or thai restaurant? Look no more - check out..

Greek Restaurant 
    Thai Restaurant

Enjoy!

mikeseaton08-10-2010 12:00 AM

Two good examples of directory use of Dot Tels - nicely integrated use of affiliate links at http://online-shopping.greekrestaurant.teland http://online-shopping.thairestaurant.tel

Will the affiliate links and AdSense revenue fund these domains - or do you plan to charge the restaurants eventually for their entries?

Mike Seaton

mikeseaton08-10-2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 10452)
    Will the affiliate links and AdSense revenue fund these domains - or do you plan to charge the restaurants eventually for their entries?

[size]
    Just found the answer to this question at http://dottelads.com/greekrestaurant.tel and http://dottelads.com/thairestaurant.tel

Mike Seaton[/size]

dottel.net08-10-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 10453)
    Just found the answer to this question at http://dottelads.com/greekrestaurant.tel andhttp://dottelads.com/thairestaurant.tel

Mike Seaton

[size]

oddly enough, a year and a bit on we're still hitting the what is .tel roadblock on paid listings. people love the view on your mobile and then just dial the number to make a booking or order concept but don't get the fact that you add .tel to the end instead of .com or .co.uk

We're hopeful this will change over time...[/size]

mikeseaton08-10-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 10457)
    Oddly enough, a year and a bit on we're still hitting the what is .tel roadblock on paid listings....

[size]
    Yes I think that is likely to be a problem for many .tel directories until they reach "critical mass". My feeling is that to try and reach this critical mass point the best bet currently is to offer free listings - then monetise during this process using up to 3 methods:

1. Google AdSense (there may be other options introduced by Telnic - my favourite would be Commission Junctionhttp://www.cj.com).

2. Affiliate text links - preferably with short URLs that include the merchant's name that then redirect to the long affiliate URL.

3. Chargeable phone links. These don't have to hugely expensive premium numbers - just enough to make a small amount on each phone call that is direct-clicked from the directory. I have seen local free papers in the UK do this - they allocate a revenue-earning telephone number to each free advert.

I note you are currently using 1) and 2) on your restaurant sites - have you considered the phone option 3) ?

Mike Seaton[/size]

dottel.net08-10-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 10468)
    3. Chargeable phone links. These don't have to hugely expensive premium numbers - just enough to make a small amount on each phone call that is direct-clicked from the directory. I have seen local free papers in the UK do this - they allocate a revenue-earning telephone number to each free advert.

[size]
    We had looked at this but not implemented. Many 08 premium numbers charge the user especially when dialing from a mobile so you'd then hit the potential do I want to pay extra for this call syndrome.

Anyone on here having any hands on experience with any such service operators?[/size]

aliencafe08-10-2010 08:30 PM

Great restaurant directories guys. Nice contribution.

I'm running into this same dilemma with www.Waikiki.tel.

Trying to convince people to list or show them the value proposition has been nearly impossible, everyone generally likes the idea after an hour of explaining .tel, but when asked to sign up or act on any proposition the answer is no. Very frustrating. even at $1.00 per month the answer has been no because the general public doesn't understand it.

mikeseaton08-10-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aliencafe (Post 10471)
    Very frustrating. even at $1.00 per month the answer has been no because the general public doesn't understand it.

[size]
    IMO the lack of knowledge by the general public of Dot Tel is the biggest hurdle by far we need to overcome - I'm just hoping my "1 Dot Tel Wish" at http://telnic.org/forum/showthread.php?p=10360 will come true - I'm sure it would help a lot with public awareness!

Telnic - any chance of this happening?

Mike Seaton[/size]

dottel.net08-11-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aliencafe (Post 10471)
    Great restaurant directories guys. Nice contribution.

I'm running into this same dilemma with www.Waikiki.tel.

Trying to convince people to list or show them the value proposition has been nearly impossible, everyone generally likes the idea after an hour of explaining .tel, but when asked to sign up or act on any proposition the answer is no. Very frustrating. even at $1.00 per month the answer has been no because the general public doesn't understand it.

[size]
    Hi aliencafe - what services does the user get when they dial the toll free directory? is that part of your offering?[/size]

aliencafe08-11-2010 09:07 PM

@dottel.net

I included the free directory service number in case you could not find what you wanted in the directory.

Here in the US this is a free 800 #. I do not get any affiliate pay income but I thought it was a nice touch to add to the domain so users could find what they need.

I do need to populate Waikiki.tel more, but the lack of interest from directory end users and small businesses is not a good motivating factor. 

thanks-

aliencafe08-11-2010 09:10 PM

@dottel.net 

What has your experience been when dealing with business owners for oxfordstreet.tel? 

Is anyone using it in the real world to find the stores?

kind regards-

Simon G08-11-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

We had looked at this but not implemented. Many 08 premium numbers charge the user especially when dialing from a mobile so you'd then hit the potential do I want to pay extra for this call syndrome.

[size]
    IMO This is a major problem which is outdated. Many many services provide 08 numbers and you are left looking around for there reg landline number. This needs to change. 
    Has anyone come across service number that come from a mobile dialing code? So it is charge as a cross mobile network call?

dottel.net Nice work :)[/size]

dottel.net08-11-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aliencafe (Post 10495)
    @dottel.net 

What has your experience been when dealing with business owners for oxfordstreet.tel? 

Is anyone using it in the real world to find the stores?

kind regards-

[size]
    absolutely - it's seeing increasing daily usage and considering the content, it could only be to find stores

we had a nice story a few months back when someone on their mobile tweeted they couldn't find a store and we tweeted back oxfordstreet.tel which solved their problem!

we'd love to execute something a little more grand in the real world to attract publicity to oxfordstreet.tel in conjunction with the retailers but to date haven't managed to get the right people to buy into our 'ideas'.[/size]

dottel.net08-11-2010 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon G (Post 10497)
    IMO This is a major problem which is outdated. Many many services provide 08 numbers and you are left looking around for there reg landline number. This needs to change. 
    Has anyone come across service number that come from a mobile dialing code? So it is charge as a cross mobile network call?

dottel.net Nice work

[size]
    thanks Simon for the kind words.

what do you mean by charge cross mobile network call? this is all subject to an individuals talk plan. if it's a local number then most talk plans will count that as inclusive minutes. many talk plans nowadays offer cross mobile network minutes too.

but local numbers and mobile numbers can't be used to generate you any direct revenue.[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 8:24 pm