The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

iPhone App for Tel Directories

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

iPhone App for Tel Directories Empty iPhone App for Tel Directories

Post by Telnic 2015-01-03, 7:50 am

Geo06-15-2012 06:15 PM

iPhone App for Tel Directories

Has anyone considered building a custom app specifically for Tel directories... a customized version of Superpages / MyTel?

I'm addressing this question in part to those currently building Tel directories, and in part to Telnic (Henri?). 

From a client point of view, it would be interesting to know what could be done in terms of transferring a directory's contents into the iPhone address book, or within the app itself, in a more iPhone friendly way than using the browser.

From a directory owner point of view it would be nice to be able to do bulk edits on the go, such as changing an image or ad across all subdomains, or a subset of them, as well as tools to see what has changed or which pages are getting most views - handy statistics viewer, etc. 

Such an app would be quite nice for the iPad, and of course an Android version should be included in this discussion.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-15-2012 06:41 PM

I prefer now to build directories that only link to other .Tel domains, as not much maintenance afterwards. By linking to live data, there is no replication of content. If you look at large online directories, even a 1% annual change in addresses, companies going out business,etc represents a significant resource to find, delete, update. So a Tel Directory app shouldn't load data, just show it. IMO
    Mark

Simon G06-15-2012 09:41 PM

There was locksmiths.tel which was a superbook adaption for iphone

Geo06-16-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 24509)
    I prefer now to build directories that only link to other .Tel domains, as not much maintenance afterwards. By linking to live data, there is no replication of content. If you look at large online directories, even a 1% annual change in addresses, companies going out business,etc represents a significant resource to find, delete, update. So a Tel Directory app shouldn't load data, just show it. IMO
    Mark

[size]
    I hear you Mark... I was thinking - there's no way I can maintain such a directory...

However, such data could be used to seed a paid or free live directory, simply by putting an expiry date on each record. The seed records would eventually drop out and be replaced by the live updated client records (hopefully there would be critical mass of those to keep going). I could also add a link to each record if someone wants to report a change or obsolete record to bring them to a form to suggest changes or to flag for delete.

If say the directory were for localsales.tel as mentioned in the other thread then all records would expire and so the whole content would be kept fresh.[/size]

Geo06-16-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon G (Post 24511)
    There was locksmiths.tel which was a superbook adaption for iphone

[size]
    Thanks Simon - that was exactly what I was hoping for... except it doesn't work where I am - UK only.

@Henri... is there any chance Henri of adding the source code to your Telnic developer area?[/size]

Simon G06-16-2012 06:03 PM

No probs. Pretty sure all source code needed is in developer area already
    Perhaps someone could provide a link on this thread

It would be idea if you could search with in such an app to a specified group of tels.
    Think it would be smoother via the proxy and this one of the tasks telnic is planning to do.
    Hopefully you could upload a text list to cth specifying the domains

supercyberheroes06-16-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo (Post 24526)
    I hear you Mark... I was thinking - there's no way I can maintain such a directory...

If say the directory were for localsales.tel as mentioned in the other thread then all records would expire and so the whole content would be kept fresh.

[size]
    I got quite similar idea like that: live directory but more or less I will say classifieds to be in the directory for 1, 2,or 3 months, yes of course we need the sister site like .com or .co.
    To save money in site baskets there is an international company that people could pay by phone without debit or credit card is called http://daopay.com and a good one for just UK is called http://impulsepay.com

Regards
    http://supercyberheroes.tel[/size]

Geo06-17-2012 12:10 AM

I was thinking of developing one 'sister' site as a kind of hub to manage a network of Tel sites, and provide a portal for those wishing to add listings or ads to sites within the network. That way discovery of one Tel site can lead people to a host of other sites, and leverage the hub network aspect. My dream is to create a kind of domain parking service, which those with premium names could plug into and share revenues while attracting a greater business listing clientele.

Frankly, I think that Telnic is missing out on an opportunity by not doing this themselves wrt Telpages, creating their own version of Adwords/Adsense with only Tels... or even those without Tels who just want to advertise. I think Telnic would be much more aggressive in development if they saw the light in terms of revenue potential here.

Sumerlin06-23-2012 06:55 PM

Unfortunately Telnic is missing a lot of opportunities

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 7:32 pm