The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Maximising Sales using WhoIs entry

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Maximising Sales using WhoIs entry Empty Maximising Sales using WhoIs entry

Post by Telnic 2014-12-31, 6:30 pm

mikeseaton01-03-2011 03:28 PM

Maximising Sales using WhoIs entry

When you register a Dot Tel domain there are 3 permissible WhoIs formats:

1. Natural (ie. person) - Hide details
    2. Natural (ie. person) - Publish details
    3. Legal (ie. business or organisation) - Publish details

The vast majority of Dot Tels registered will be for a business or organisation (Legal), not for a personal name (Natural).

But many registrars default to Natural/Hide so unless you go in and change the designation yourself the WhoIs entry will not display any contact details - just the registrant's name.

Does this matter? YES - if you want to sell the domain - for 2 reasons:

1. The first thing most serious buyers do when considering a domain purchase is to check out the details of who owns it using a WhoIs service. If this is hidden (just a registrant's name shown with no contact details) there is naturally a reluctance to consider handing over money to buy the domain.

2. You can use the WhoIs entry to generate sales enquiries. When people are playing around with domain combinations to find a good name they often use a WhoIs service to check availability. If you modify the WhoIs (I use first line of registrant's address) to show the domain is for sale you can generate sales enquiries as well as promoting your own domain sales site. Have a look at http://www.easywhois.com/?domain=itabletsales.tel - this both shows that I am interested in selling http://iTabletSales.tel and also promotes my domain sales site http://Domains123.tel

The best thing of all is this method of domain sale promotion is completely free - it just costs a few seconds of your time!

Mike Seaton

teltheworld01-04-2011 01:28 AM

Hi Mike
    What a great idea! but I was wondering if I changed the details in the whois ie substituted my name for something like 'This Domain is For Sale' would or could this be perceived as a change of Ownership and wipe out anything or maybe everything listed on that .Tel?

I seem to remember doing something like that before and as a result had the .Tel removed from Telfriends.

Not intending to blame anyone if it all goes wrong but just wondering if there were any points to watch out for?

Aled01-04-2011 09:18 AM

teltheworrld,

With regards to TelFriends, yes, you're right. Any change to the Registrant details will be seen by the TelFriends system as a potential change of ownership. As a security measure it will remove the affected .tel from your TelFriends account. If this does happen, though, all you need to do is to add the .tel back to the account and all your settings and private data will have been preserved.

Thanks,

Aled

teltheworld01-04-2011 11:57 AM

Hi Aled
    Many thanks, I will give it a try on just one of them until I get into the swing of it, by the way, when I am entering 'Notes' on a .Tel I am still getting the word 'Note' appearing above the description.

ie: 'Note'
    Description
    .Tel address

It doesn't happen on every .Tel but it certainly happens on about 50% so don't know if it is possible for you to purge the system your end?

Aled01-04-2011 12:06 PM

Hi,

Can you give me a couple of examples where it's still happening please and I'll take a look. Feel free to send in a PM if you like.

Thanks

teltheworld01-04-2011 12:58 PM

Hi Aled

This is weird, when I put a 'Note' on a .Tel domain the word 'Note' shows up (Sometimes) along with the description and the .Tel address but ONLY in the Control panel.

When I go to the actual .Tel itself, the word 'Note' does not appear, so don't really know if that is supposed to happen?

When I say (Sometimes) what I mean is that in 'some' Control panels the word 'Note' appears but on other Control panels, it doesn't?

They are all with DM.

Aled01-04-2011 02:34 PM

Yes, it shows with the "Note" title in the control panel, but as you say, this doesn't then appear in the web proxy if a description has been included.

It should appear at all times in the control panel, however. When you say it appears in "some" control panels, the ones which it doesn't appear in, are these with a different provider/in a different account? Would you be able to send me a screenshot of this happening?

Thanks

teltheworld01-04-2011 11:17 PM

Hi Aled

Many Thanks, mystery solved!

Because of my lack of experience in putting notes on a .Tel I was wondering why the 'Note' word was showing up at all.

All my tels are with the same provider but some of them are in a different account, so bearing in mind what you said about that, it's probably the reason why that happened.

spline01-05-2011 11:28 AM

Thanks for the tip, added to your rep.

mikeseaton01-05-2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teltheworld (Post 12087)
    Hi Mike
    What a great idea! but I was wondering if I changed the details in the whois ie substituted my name for something like 'This Domain is For Sale' would or could this be perceived as a change of Ownership and wipe out anything or maybe everything listed on that .Tel?

I seem to remember doing something like that before and as a result had the .Tel removed from Telfriends.

Not intending to blame anyone if it all goes wrong but just wondering if there were any points to watch out for?

[size]
    Hi Teltheworld,

Aled's covered the situation re Telfriends, but the important thing is not to change the Registrant Name on a WhoIs entry - I simply shift the 1st line of Registrant Address to the 2nd line and put the "DOMAIN FOR SALE AT DOMAINS123.TEL" message on the 1st line - as inhttp://www.easywhois.com/?domain=itabletsales.tel

Mike Seaton[/size]

teltheworld01-05-2011 11:06 PM

Hi Mike

Many thanks

Owing to the 'Apparent' small space in which to insert your Address, that bit went over my head but having now looked a lot closer at the example you gave I have finally got it!

Genius, Mike well done!

mikeseaton01-08-2011 07:11 PM

Here's a useful thing I found today whilst doing a Whois Lookup - http://telnic.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1674

Mike Seaton

Current date/time is 2024-05-02, 4:17 am