The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Tel Registrations & Phase 2 (Automatic DNS Lookups)

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Tel Registrations & Phase 2 (Automatic DNS Lookups) Empty Tel Registrations & Phase 2 (Automatic DNS Lookups)

Post by Telnic 2014-12-31, 6:51 pm

mikeseaton05-04-2011 10:58 PM

Tel Registrations & Phase 2 (Automatic DNS Lookups)

The numbers from http://www.hosterstats.com/DomainNameCounts2011.php, make it look like .tel is currently reaching a plateau around the 300K mark.

I know there are YP deals in the pipeline which will bring up the numbers, but against that there are a lot of domains being dropped at the moment.

I've picked up some amazing names myself recently, being able to choose the cream from sometimes hundreds daily that are not being renewed.

I firmly believe in the long term future of .tel, but too many people are simply unaware of Phase 2 and the revolution to internet communication that it promises.

I know Henri has a carefully thought out strategy in place, but what concerns me is the threat from the likes of Google Places for Business, which means without the Phase 2 Killer App of Automatic DNS Lookups to tempt them many small businesses will find Google Places for Business is enough, and its Free!

IMO we need Phase 2 a.s.a.p. - assuming at least some Telcos would agree to implement it without (?enter the figure?) further .tel registrations in place.

Once one or two key Telcos offered automatic DNS lookups competing companies would follow quickly if customers liked and used the facility - launching Phase 2 could be the biggest boost to .tel registrations (and not letting domains drop) imaginable. Do others agree?

Mike Seaton

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)05-04-2011 11:01 PM

Agree. It's all there floating around the internet for Telcos to grab.

Mark

telrific05-05-2011 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 14479)
    The numbers from http://www.hosterstats.com/DomainNameCounts2011.php, make it look like .tel is currently reaching a plateau around the 300K mark.

I know there are YP deals in the pipeline which will bring up the numbers, but against that there are a lot of domains being dropped at the moment.

[size]
    Without the bulk registration boost that happened conveniently in Jan./Feb. we would already be closer to a 200k plateau and crumbling daily.

Quote:
    [/size]

Once one or two key Telcos offered automatic DNS lookups competing companies would follow quickly if customers liked and used the facility - launching Phase 2 could be the biggest boost to .tel registrations (and not letting domains drop) imaginable. Do others agree?

Mike Seaton

[size]
    Right now no matter what you add or advance in technology, a .TEL owner still feels like a "fish out of water". 

We STILL need a big promotion of PeoplePlace ! so that a world community of personal owners are seen using .TEL on a level like Facebook, etc. (just like advertised) - It's the perfect follow-up to the train video that is missing on a community level.

DNS Lookup will help - no doubt about it, but the Data should still come from .TEL users that aren't there yet, and may never be. Those who "bit" are dropping, because they feel alone and ???. You should love your .tel without a separate promotion to tell you that others do, and you should love yours everyday as you look around the world at the growing number of .TEL upgrades in PeoplePlace !, which even includes people that you know personally at some point !

:)[/size]

tony mayo05-05-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 14479)
    but what concerns me is the threat from the likes of Google Places for Business, which means without the Phase 2 Killer App of Automatic DNS Lookups to tempt them many small businesses will find Google Places for Business is enough, and its Free!

[size]
    I've noticed in recent weeks that Google Places for Business is blowing every other directory service out of the water - particularly on mobile devices which Google obviously sees as the future of search. 
    SMEs are queuing up to join, judging by the local businesses I am seeing appearing every other day.
    It's hard to see how any other directory service can compete with the technical and marketing resources of Google.
    The problem with Phase 2 is lack of critical mass right now. 
    I am building local directories which is helpful in driving traffic to my website, but in the long term I always believed this was just one of the basic functions of .tel and that much more exciting and innovative uses would emerge to make .tel domains unique and much sought after.
    I still believe this to be the case, but like other posters I share their concerns.[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)05-05-2011 11:21 AM

Justin shared his thoughts with me regarding Google Places last week. Perhaps he will share them here. Tel domains give SMB owners far more control over what they want to share and when. At any rate, GP has flaws, one being the rating system. Once rated, you can't get rid of a bad or incorrect rating. 

Mark

Justin Hayward05-05-2011 11:46 AM

Free services are great in many ways whilst they're around but there is always, always a downside. It's the same with Google Places. 

We'd recommend using as many free services as SMBs need to be found, but even Google argues with it's latest Panda change that owning a domain is the authoritative solution for anyone, SMB or other (according to Local SEO Guide Andrew Shotland's recent talk at the Local Search Association conference). 

Added to that, Google Places needs a validated physical location, will also place content not under the control of the SMB on their 'own' page (ie customer reviews, which may be negative, which I have seen gamed in order to promote a competitor on another page) and, at the end of the day, a URL that doesn't belong to the SMB and may be long and clunky. So which is easier to manage and promote? Free here means a lack of control.

Additionally, for reputation to be managed effectively, the key is being the owner and the responsible party for curation. In order to do this, one must be in control. See my blog post from today - http://www.telnic.org/blog/2011/05/0...ne-reputation/. Whether it's a simple .tel domain enabling you to get good results or another TLD that's harder to manage, owning your point of reference, contact and curated content is critical moving forward.

This article also highlights some of the other pitfalls of losing control - http://econsultancy.com/uk/blog/7482...m_source=topic - the best way is to cover all bases in an affordable manner.

Justin Hayward05-05-2011 12:12 PM

Jens, we are and have been as open as we can be about our development plans, timescales and business development. We can't directly influence what people 'feel' about it all, nor do we share the level of our personal emotions on progress. I appreciate that many different people have many different levels of 'investment' in .tel becoming 'successful'. We continue to work every day to try to meet the expectations of all of them.

Thanks

Justin

tony mayo05-05-2011 12:47 PM

Phase 2

What Justin says is a fair and reasonable analysis. The lack of control downside will filter through to SMEs over time. 

In the long run quality always wins out.

Regarding Phase 2 and direct DNS lookup, I am not altogether clear about how this might affect directory builders placing adverts and coupons.

Will entering a business name or service in the smartphone keypad return a list of relevant search results (Telpages search); the correct sub-domain for the business or merely the contact information?

I do realise where a person/business has their own .tel domain that will always be returned as the correct result, but I would like to know in what format.

AJV USA05-05-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 14485)
    Right now no matter what you add or advance in technology, a .TEL owner still feels like a "fish out of water".

You should love your .tel without a separate promotion to tell you that others do, and you should love yours everyday as you look around the world at the growing number of .TEL upgrades in PeoplePlace !, which even includes people that you know personally at some point !

[size]
    That says it all, people get ideas and upgrade and share and suggest when there's a community of users that isn't just a forum, they're users in the "book", a popular one. PeoplePlace is the best .TEL directory for personal users in 2 years for sure.

:cool:[/size]

Chica05-05-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJV USA (Post 14507)
    That says it all, people get ideas and upgrade and share and suggest when there's a community of users that isn't just a forum, they're users in the "book", a popular one. PeoplePlace is the best .TEL directory for personal users in 2 years for sure.

:cool:

[size]
    I think peopleplace is better than facebook or whitepages or anything. It has really great potential for helping .tel success. :)[/size]

telrific05-06-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens (Post 14523)
    Could you please describe the benefit of it?

How?

[size]
    I can answer that one easily enough !

There have been many members of this forum who have made positive statements about the PeoplePlace effort including the above members. In addition, I have received requests for inclusion by many, many participants - so, why all the positive comments and why the requests for inclusion ? 

"It's about time somebody did this for .TEL" and "Please include my .TEL" and "This needs to be on Telnic's front page permanently" are regular comments.

For exactly the same reason that Facebook and MySpace have millions of participants is the short answer, as well as YellowPages and WhitePages - the community of it. 

"Community is the very root of Communication" ... (to give a "duh" answer that's been missing all along and people know it). When no Business community with a good TelPages.com, they're gone. When no Individual community with a good PeoplePlace.tel, they're gone. Just that simple.

The "Train" video suggests that Individuals have a new way to communicate - so where's the community of it ?

It's no different than this forum, and it shows a place where inclusion and organization meet.

There are those who like a private community, and those who like a public community.

PeoplePlace ! is simply the latter half of that statement that the world loves, a public Community of Individuals.

It inspires, encourages, bridges ... the adjectives are endless !

Like the "Olympics", it's nice to know the world is a community of PEOPLE too !

AJV USA05-06-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 14535)
    For exactly the same reason that Facebook and MySpace have millions of participants is the short answer, as well as YellowPages and WhitePages - the community of it....When no Business community with a good TelPages.com, they're gone. When no Individual community with a good PeoplePlace.tel, they're gone. Just that simple.

[size]
    Exactly. Telnic advertised "Your Hub" and "Global Directory"

There's been no good Community until PeoplePlace is all ... 

tindaya05-06-2011 07:59 PM

One question, when you speak about IMO, is about https://o.imo.im/ ??
    Normally there is a lot of acronys, so is not easy understand to the people of the other countries.

Another think about the telco, they don´t want the domain .tel because they need to sell services, they are with RCS-e in the mobile, the idea is that the agend of the mobile can do many thinks like the domain .tel..... Of course that I prefer the domain .tel, but I also know that the telco and the factories of mobile are working with the RCS-e

telrific05-06-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tindaya (Post 14547)
    One question, when you speak about IMO, is about https://o.imo.im/ ??
    Normally there is a lot of acronys, so is not easy understand to the people of the other countries.

Another think about the telco, they don´t want the domain .tel because they need to sell services, they are with RCS-e in the mobile, the idea is that the agend of the mobile can do many thinks like the domain .tel..... Of course that I prefer the domain .tel, but I also know that the telco and the factories of mobile are working with the RCS-e

[size]
    He was just making a statement using the acronym, not the service.

"IMO we need Phase 2 a.s.a.p."

In My Opinion we need Phase 2 a.s.a.p.

(sometimes) IMHO - In My Honest Opinion ....

Just the acronym use I believe.

BTW (by the way) did you see your PeoplePlace listing and the pics ? Was it okay per your recent request ?

tindaya05-06-2011 08:19 PM

So IMO Phase 2 a.s.a.p. meaning: In my opinion we need phase 2 as soon as posible? 

Yes I am in the PeoplePlace, but I don´t understand what to do, and also in up is not the search, so if I go to Spain, like is the last, I must go 4 screens. Will be better the search, I write Spain, and I go to Spain. Now is europe, more, more, spain.
    Where I can see the listins and the pics?

telrific05-06-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tindaya (Post 14549)
    So IMO Phase 2 a.s.a.p. meaning: In my opinion we need phase 2 as soon as posible?

[size]
    Yes, the Phase 2 that Henri spoke of, I don't have the exact post handy, I'm sorry.

Quote:
    [/size]

Yes I am in the PeoplePlace, but I don´t understand what to do, and also in up is not the search, so if I go to Spain, like is the last, I must go 4 screens. Will be better the search, I write Spain, and I go to Spain. Now is europe, more, more, spain.
    Where I can see the listins and the pics?

[size]
    I know what you mean believe me ! I'm in the United States, one of the last countries !
    Then one of the last letters, and last names and ...

Telnic said they are looking into searching records to alleviate this problem, a problem which will only grow as the .TEL directories of any kind are created ! The new pics on computers for viewing.

As for what to do, that's easy ! Why would someone look you up in WhitePages ? To find your phone number and talk to you ! Why would someone look you up in Facebook or MySpace or Twitter ? To look up your page and talk to you that way.

How does anyone find tindaya on Facebook ? Search for tindaya's page for Facebooking !
    How does anyone find tindaya on Twitter ? Go to Twitter search ! Or your email ? Or your telephone number, maybe in White Pages ? What about just one place to search for all tindaya's addresses on his .TEL of all addresses ?

The point is that now someone can look one place for any way to contact tindaya ! This is the whole point of .TEL of course - one place for everything.

(Only thing missing is one place for everyone's one place for everything {duh}, so PeoplePlace.tel for People's .TEL !)

So, what to do ? Tell everyone there is ONE place to find ALL tindaya's addresses to talk to tindaya about anything that is tindaya's way of talking, without the business pages ! And one place to find it if they forget the .TEL !

:D[/size]

AJV USA05-06-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 14551)
    (Only thing missing is one place for everyone's one place for everything {duh} ... )

[size]
    As I was involved in this conversation, I have just one last comment as you "hit the nail on the head" with this one telrific.

Who just can't seem to get this when most people on the planet do ?

:confused:[/size]

telrific05-08-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJV USA (Post 14554)
    As I was involved in this conversation, I have just one last comment as you "hit the nail on the head" with this one telrific.

Who just can't seem to get this when most people on the planet do ?

[size]
    To tell the world that "One Place For All Your Addresses" is so important, and then not follow through 
    with "One Place For All .TEL Addresses" being just as important, pretty much says it all, eh ?

A better TelPages.com or the like, along with promotion equal to or greater than .TEL is critical.

:([/size]

mikeseaton05-09-2011 02:37 PM

Updated Tel Registrations for 1st May

The latest figure for Tel registrations at 1st May from http://www.hosterstats.com/DomainNameCounts2011.php shows a drop of over 12K from 1st April
    - re-inforcing my post at the beginning of this thread that we need Phase 2 to be launched a.s.a.p.

Sometimes in business, as in life, you just have to "go for it" rather than waiting for perfect conditions to exist before making your move.

Mike Seaton

dottel.net05-09-2011 02:41 PM

current figure is 308k - see http://dottel.net for daily running total
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Tel Registrations & Phase 2 (Automatic DNS Lookups) Empty Re: Tel Registrations & Phase 2 (Automatic DNS Lookups)

Post by Telnic 2014-12-31, 6:51 pm

tindaya05-09-2011 08:56 PM

I think like you, but I also I think is better to begin a slowly proyect, and learn, we must learn. If you go out now, and come back in 3 year, you will be lost, and will have lost your oportunity.
    Slowly but learn it, because the oportunity never know when will be.

Current date/time is 2024-05-20, 6:38 am