The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

.tel On The Map apps

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

.tel On The Map apps Empty .tel On The Map apps

Post by Telnic 2014-12-31, 6:54 pm

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-06-2011 10:51 PM

.tel On The Map apps

Picture businesses in your community beaming their latest specials and coupons to your browser or cell phone. All using .tel as the vehicle. Literally putting .tel on the map.

http://www.telvisitors.com/images/onthemap1.png

Let's get .tel On The Map!

TelView is a working, open-ended project that requires standards and involvement from the community. Today I passed a standards specification to Telnic. I will post at Telmasters.com for all to comment upon. Personally, I believe that any kind of visualizaton in this manner should be a hot ticket item for the 2011 RoadMap.

When you think about it, Telpages is a repository of great information but it isn't used or known. So instead of searching, the better way I believe is to use Tel domains as the vehicle for pushing local information to consumers, where anything that needs to be found or disseminated could be found at .tel sites in real-time in the consumers vicinity. That way viewers find local stores, coupons, offers and more through both mobile and browser apps that would be developed by Telnic and/or the community. And it would appeal to SMB because the cost is a miniscule $10-$20 per year compared to hundreds and thousands for YP listings. Reduced yellow page fees is what it's all about. 

The standard way for finding information is via the search engine. Since search engines are far from being aware of the power of local tel information, the better way is to give the information to the consumer. When you look at TelView, what I am trying to do is make any .tel a dominant vehicle for displaying local information without the need for advertising. This puts the SMB owner in control at all times.

The power of .tel can be easily showcased through visualization. This is our ideal marketing vehicle.

A Killer App for Critical Mass

Visualization of tel data is a killer app - these apps can be developed quickly and cheaply and given away to promote tel. The ability to show live, local information will sell itself to SMB and when promoted locally by the owners themselves, should go a long way to exposing .tel and gaining the critical mass we need. With such apps, I plan on selling tels locally just by going door-to-door and through local chambers.

Promotion

Visualization would need to be promoted but it would be an easy way to promote Tel. Locally through SMB via stickers on their doors. By Telnic through campaigns. Virally we could have a game embedded using random tels in views. On Telnic's website for people to see the power of tel visually. Telnic to use visualization apps for contests and offers. Place "easter eggs" among tel domains worldwide. Visiting such a domain will provide more information on a contest or offer. Create a scavenger hunt game using icons to help sell more domains. Just some ideas but the ability to place tel on the map visually has got to be the biggest here.

Development and Ownership

OnTheMap/TelView is a prototype project with a simple HTML5 mapping app. HTML5 is device independent and is fast becoming the new web standard. For the short term HTML5 could be used. However, since mobile apps are more robust, ideally mobile versions should be developed. It is preferable for Telnic to create and maintain the visualization apps on behalf of, and with the involvement of the community which in turn will go out and sell more Tels. There is no incentive for the community to develop and maintain apps, not to mention carry the cost of development, as no money can be made directly from these apps. These apps must be free and freely distributed. Given some standards and tools, the community can certainly enhance the apps.

Happy exploring.

Mark

Cees04-07-2011 09:21 AM

Like you said elsewhere, this "looks impressive", I'll have to read the post a few times to absorb the significance of this Mark.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-07-2011 12:19 PM

Specifications for mapping standards have been posted on the TelMasters Blog. Standards will allow for consistency of how tel visualization information is stored within the .tel DNS records. Here is a summary:

1) opt-in for map visualization: should your tel be on the map ?
    2) primary YP-like category: eg plumbing, lawyer, grocery store
    3) custom map icon url: if not using standard derived from primary category
    4) coupon discovery and storage: where coupons are found
    5) original content indicator: is your tel the real-time source of data or a copy
    6) map information templates: how much information is shown in popups

Your feedback is important.

Mark

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-07-2011 07:33 PM

Mapping suggestions added.
    You can also get to visualization via www.OnTheMap.tel via the new geodetection link.

Happy mapping...

Mark

Cees04-07-2011 09:51 PM

Mark, truly amazing.
    To help tweak this beast.
    For me at "onthemap.tel" it opens up highlighting at the top of the page "Click Blah etc Chatswood New South Wales Australia" 
    This is pretty damn good but probably not the result your after.

Once I click on the "Chatswood" location it does actually open up at my correct location (Quakers Hill), however thats about 35km by road from the location first shown.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-07-2011 10:12 PM

Two different technologies are employed. Onthemap.tel uses a free IP-geo database which I am finding is not as accurate as I'd like outside of North America. Telview uses HTML5 geolocation but I don't know the underlying technology for that. Once I figured it out I'll use it for both. Most that have tried find both fairly accurate. For TelView I want within 2KM accuracy as the default radius is 10KM. For Onthemap I just want nearest city accuracy. Thanks for the feedback. 

Mark

Cees04-07-2011 10:39 PM

Those parameters sound adequate to me.
    Had another look, "onthemap.tel" in my case appears to toggle between showing (thus far) Chatswood or Sydney, telview at the moment doesn't want to play!
    Will try again later.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-07-2011 10:49 PM

Was updating the image parameters at onthemap.tel - should be back in a bit.
    Mark

aliencafe04-08-2011 04:41 AM

Mark, the site really is excellent. The icons work amazingly well, I put my location down as Waikiki and the results are terrific. Restaurants, hotels, all of them worked.. Nicely done.

Where do you find the time to dev all the cool tools and apps!

I hope this gets widespread promotional backing from everyone. I definitely support your effort.

best regards..

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-08-2011 12:12 PM

Aliencafe: Thanks for the feedback. Evenings mostly, just part-time. It's amazing how many tels you can find in any locality. Once visualization is widespread, it will be even more amazing. Community support will make this a reality.

Mark

Simon G04-08-2011 12:49 PM

Mark, that looks fantastic. Well done.
    Itryed to use it just now by setting my location to edinburgh but it was reporting a stack overflow error.
    Could be my work firewall tho.

Do you have any tips for listing .tels to be picked up as tryed searching in edinburgh near the castle last night and could not pick up my listing for it (castle.edinburgh.) Wondering if its something to do with my directory structure?.

Quote:

1) opt-in for map visualization: should your tel be on the map ?
    2) primary YP-like category: eg plumbing, lawyer, grocery store
    3) custom map icon url: if not using standard derived from primary category
    4) coupon discovery and storage: where coupons are found
    5) original content indicator: is your tel the real-time source of data or a copy
    6) map information templates: how much information is shown in popups

[size]
    Looks like this is really well thought out. Especially that fact that opt in would be required. 
    With regards to number 4. I would like to see events and promotions (for that day) showing on the map also eventually. I presume this would require an events (folder) added to .tels as such so the data could be located. How cool would it be if someone just had to look at a map on a weekend morning to realise that there were 2/3 events within close proximity.[/size]

maximka04-08-2011 03:35 PM

----- deleted because of forum migration -----

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-08-2011 07:18 PM

Simon, pop up the help and there are tips already there for how to ensure your tel shows up. Two things with your tel: it shows up on the map fine, but castle.edinburgh might not because it is a hidden folder not found from your main page. Coupons, offers, specials, events could in theory be linked to one entry related to displaying current information. CPN spec has an expriy date so could also have an event date all the same. Subfolders is another approach that would work, with standard naming. As more people come up with ideas, they'll just become part of the spec. It's still up to Telnic to decide as it's in their control what goes into the DNS as new records. Otherwise all we can do is use Custom Keywords. Hope not to have to.
    Mark

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-08-2011 07:21 PM

Maximka, coupon discovery is all about how a mapping app will find coupons (including offers, specials, events, lost and found, etc) in the DNS. Coupons is just a generic term now for additional information to attract attention. It could be anything a .tel owner wants to get displayed immediately in the results.
    Mark

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-08-2011 08:16 PM

Simon, forgot to mention the other thing about root page edinburgh.tel. Because it is a geo tel for a city it does not have an exact street address and consequently there are several other tels in the exact same location of the city centre. On the map you'll see these tels are buried under the marker. So to ensure your tel icon appears alone, just move it over a bit in your CTH map.
    Mark

maximka04-08-2011 08:24 PM

----- deleted because of forum migration -----

Cees04-08-2011 08:52 PM

Devils advocate

Mark, in the event that .tel ever becomes universal, that is everyone and his dog, will there be to much information shown?

Blunderer04-08-2011 09:02 PM

Hi Mark,

IDNs?

Regards,

Roy

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-09-2011 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cees (Post 14041)
    Mark, in the event that .tel ever becomes universal, that is everyone and his dog, will there be to much information shown?

[size]
    We can cover that with filters. For example, on initial load I would suggest showing coupons and offers first within 10KM. Then load maybe 20 additional tels. We would have filters by category, so if you want shoe stores or greek restaurants, you pick those. No need to display everything as TelView does now for conceptualization. Generally you have interest in something specific so you pick that category. But merchants want you to know about specials, and that's why those should display by default. And a smart app will remember your settings or past history.

Mark[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-09-2011 12:29 AM

Blunderer, please send me to an IDN tel with geo and I'll check it out.
    Thx
    Mark
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

.tel On The Map apps Empty Re: .tel On The Map apps

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-09-2011 12:36 AM

Sorry Blunderer, should have just done a TelView on Beijing. The immediate answer is no, and I have to tweak the code to display IDN tels and also for titles and text.
    Mark

Blunderer04-09-2011 09:53 AM

There goes the weekend!!!

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-09-2011 11:56 AM

Actually it seems to depends on the browser and operating system. FF running Windows 2000 is a problem. Otherwise I've tested under under Chrome, FF and IE9 and the tel names appear correctly. It is the titles that appear as gibberish. 
    Mark

Cees04-09-2011 12:47 PM

Mark,
    This may be of interest to you given your current project.
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/...90-metres.html

Blunderer04-09-2011 04:44 PM

Hi Mark,

I have tried Genève, xn--genve-6ra, Geneve and Geneva, on IE, FF and Chrome but Genève.tel is a no-show. Any ideas?

Regards,

Roy

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-10-2011 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cees (Post 14055)
    Mark,
    This may be of interest to you given your current project.
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/...90-metres.html

[size]
    Thats was an interesting read. I was recently searching to find out how geolocation works. For me it points my house and never understood how. Here is another geo-domain-related tool for competition detection: http://www.name.com/localsearch

Thx

Mark[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-10-2011 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderer (Post 14058)
    Hi Mark,

I have tried Genève, xn--genve-6ra, Geneve and Geneva, on IE, FF and Chrome but Genève.tel is a no-show. Any ideas?

Regards,

Roy

[size]
    This is puzzling. I did a Telpages search and a TelView "push" using what I assume are same parameters: tels within 50KM of the centre of Geneva, no other filters. Telpages yields 905 results, TelView 440. In TP Genève.tel shows around #45. In TV, not found in first 250. Results are in a different order. I think TP uses a ranking algorithm where TV just displays what is returned from the Soap call to the TP API. Perhaps Telnic can explain further.

Mark[/size]

Blunderer04-10-2011 11:46 AM

Oh well, that's another map broken!

Thanks for your effort, Mark.

Regards,

Roy

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-10-2011 02:09 PM

Happy to report that Genève.tel is on the map now. I forgot about IDN's and with the help of Henri this is now fixed. But I still have to fix the decoding of the unicode strings later today.
    Mark

Blunderer04-10-2011 05:24 PM

Mark/Henri, your hero's. Thank you very much.
    Regards,
    Roy

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-12-2011 03:48 AM

TelView update

The latest TelView now displays unicode and IDN properly. There is also detection for mobile and presents a compact view.
    Mark

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-15-2011 10:14 PM

Google isnt always the answer. Neither is YP.

This post shows that small business doesn't depend on Google, as Groupon gets more market share. Like Groupon, .tel owners should be given the opportunity to use coupons and vouchers with tel visualization (eg Telview) to compete locally without needing Google or YP. We can't depend on Google to deliver results for us. Let's make Tel Visualization a reality - an alternate vehicle for SMB with great benefits.
    Mark

Cees04-16-2011 02:30 AM

That's an interesting post Mark, one I agree with 100%

Funny you mention coupons etc, just yesterday I registered amongst others, giftcoupon.tel
    and travelcoupon.tel purely speculative at this stage.

dutchstreetdog04-24-2011 08:29 AM

Hello i was checking it out on my iPhone but you cant scroll the results!
    Its onley showing the first 8 results and after that its finnish?
    And i also dont see my sexwinkel acount?
    Is this onley for desktop?

mikeseaton04-25-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 14175)
    This post shows that small business doesn't depend on Google, as Groupon gets more market share.

[size]
    This post by Rick Schwartz is definitely worth reading if you are a domain investor who likes to think and plan ahead!

Mike Seaton[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-25-2011 07:20 PM

One of those light bulb moments.
    Mark

telrific04-25-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 14175)
    Google isnt always the answer. Neither is YP.

[size]
    TelPages.com is the best of both - Advanced YP Listing, No Google Garbage.

This was the driver of Registrations at General Availability - A Better, Global Directory.

Too bad this isn't the focus ... still.

:o[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-25-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 14348)
    TelPages.com is the best of both - Advanced YP Listing, No Google Garbage.

This was the driver of Registrations at General Availability - A Better, Global Directory.

Too bad this isn't the focus ... still.

[size]
    Telpages just needs a couple of changes and then widespread visualization should be the focus. Unless there is a big event, nobody will be searching Telpages directly - apps like Telview and what Henri is developing will be using the Telpages API. IMHO.

Mark[/size]

telrific04-25-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 14350)
    ... Unless there is a big event, nobody will be searching Telpages directly ...
    Mark

[size]
    Yeah, that's what they said about Facebook when MySpace was big ...

Quote:
    [/size]

Imagine if Facebook had said:

"If you people had any real pages, maybe Facebook would be worth something."

The "Face" on the "Page" will always determine the traffic/visitors and revenue generated in any final sense, but if you ever keep from pursuing success as a "Book" because of the value offered by the person's content, you are pretty much in trouble to begin with !

[size]
    There you go !

;)[/size]

tindaya04-25-2011 09:50 PM

My english is not very good, so I don´t understand the real meaning of the post. What is the resume of the post of Rick Schwartz ?
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)05-11-2011 04:27 PM

Since jojo.tel is tel of the week because of store locations, here's how it looks under Telview.

Mark

tindaya05-11-2011 07:08 PM

Also I have put Onthemap in http://benarum.granada.andalucia.ofertascasarural.tel/
    You can see the result in http://www.telview.co/nearmenow.php?...&go=Go&zoom=12

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)05-11-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tindaya (Post 14663)
    Also I have put Onthemap in http://benarum.granada.andalucia.ofertascasarural.tel/
    You can see the result in http://www.telview.co/nearmenow.php?...&go=Go&zoom=12

[size]
    Effective use of onthemap imagery.

Mark[/size]

dutchstreetdog05-18-2011 01:37 AM

:-)(

Your app is not scrolling on a iPhone!
    Its Just showing the first 6 7 or 8 results!
    Are you not able to build a app that can scroll on a iPhone So i can see the other 348 results to!

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)05-18-2011 12:37 PM

Will find someone with iphone and look into int.
    Mark

dutchstreetdog05-18-2011 01:03 PM

hello

ive you want i can send you a screenshot?

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-10-2011 04:21 AM

Visualization through ON.TEL

Having not heard anything concrete yet from Telnic other than it's being discussed, I want to keep tel visualization idea in the forefront. So, here's an idea to challenge Telnic...

Since ON.TEL is reserved for some future purpose, I'd like to suggest to Telnic (if this isn't already the plan) that ON.TEL be used in conjunction with official .tel apps - visual mapping and augmented reality apps that put tels on the map. Use the branding power of "ON TEL" to promote and market tel. You could have ...

food.on.tel
    shoes.on.tel
    sushi.on.tel
    plumbers.on.tel
    anything.on.tel (simple autodetect and redirect via proxy)
    etc.

all directed to use the new app to map local tels (just like telview.co is doing) but in a more powerful, committed and strategic manner. Every local tel (with geo location) would be mapped instantly and visualized, with all coupons and specials popping up in the app. Real-time access to vouchers, popping up in your app as you drive by a store, open house, and more. All through the power of Telpages geo goodness live to your handset.

Furthermore build the apps to allow white labelling to tel owners to promote to their version to small business and small biz to their community.

What say you Telnic, up to the challenge? 

Mark

dottel.net06-10-2011 08:44 AM

well put - totally agree.

i've secured a nice set of names (.com & .tel) around the concept of local + vouchers (near.tel, vouchercode.tel, locals.tel, proximity.tel, nearherenow.com, voucherous.com, etc) and will continue going it alone but really hope that the telnic bandwagon catches me, takes the bull by the horns and runs with it... that's the only way to get this to the next level

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-10-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 15222)
    i've secured a nice set of names (.com & .tel) around the concept of local + vouchers (near.tel, vouchercode.tel, locals.tel, proximity.tel, nearherenow.com, voucherous.com, etc) and will continue going it alone but really hope that the telnic bandwagon catches me, takes the bull by the horns and runs with it... that's the only way to get this to the next level

[size]
    Planning for local is exactly what we are doing now. We are building the technology and as of yesterday have acquired the domains we need to build out locally. However we are very aware that this plan depends on having mobile and desktop apps for discovery. That's why I am pushing for visualization and sure hope Telnic steps up to the plate.

Mark[/size]

dottel.net06-10-2011 11:30 AM

we also have already built out the technology and are using it - problem is adoption and discovery...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-15, 3:59 am