The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

What could make .tel a success?

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

What could make .tel a success? Empty What could make .tel a success?

Post by Telnic 2015-01-01, 2:12 pm

Jens03-08-2012 12:03 AM

What could make .tel a success?

Obsolescent

wibblenut03-08-2012 04:50 AM

It's a two-pronged approach.. going after SME's, which Telnic has arguably been more successful at so far (so should expand upon this strategy) and targeting consumers, which has proven much more difficult. Partnerships with carriers would help here, and would lead to hardware manufacturers making tighter integration (which you alluded to). But remember, if the first approach is cracked then secondary success with consumers will inevitably follow.

Short answer: double down on what's proven to work.

Kartoshka03-08-2012 11:32 AM

How many times one thing can be repeated.
    you're right once again, Jens. 

I'm personally giving up on this dead walking mode. Need this, need that, in order to become this or that. Having exactly 0.000% of voting, all i can actively do is to watch the show from remote coast, commenting "whoaaaa, how cool!" or "ooooooups, how sad!" to my colleagues/friends while the show keeps going on.

Saying clear 'no thanks' to most renewals (as 'diluting the investment allocation', thus giving up on expectations and personal beliefs in their nominal value should go up in future). No significant progress - no money - everybody's happy.
    One way of keeping me convinced is maintaining IR communication up and live. 
    Press Room 

It's a worrying sign for investors when employees, and managers chose or to bail out and find another job, especially in short period of time without official statement of restructuring, published in advance by that company on one of it's communication channels 
    Blog

Email communication (telegraph style) sent once in a while by young, dynamically evolving and innovative company, won't make bad impression. Once in a while means a bit more frequently than 4 per year. And graphics person must be involved in email creation chain it before it's sent, come on. Visual touch, if not a necessity, is much anticipated in our days.

mikeseaton03-08-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens (Post 20741)
    What does it take to reach critical mass for .tel?

When taking a look at these possibilities it becomes clear none of these targets can be accomplished by Telnic.
    The phone manufactures must implement DNS requests into their products.

Any other suggestions or opinions?

[size]
    Jens, this subject of what needs to be done to make .tel a success has been covered so many times on this forum, both you and I know that none of the myriad suggestions made so far have resulted in any significant change to Telnic's marketing and product positioning strategy.

I agree that if phone manufacturers implemented DNS lookups in their handsets that would make a big difference to .tel, but that won't happen without "critical mass" being achieved first.

If you define "critical mass" as say 2 million registered domains containing phone details, that means 10 million actual registrations if you assume that 20% of domains have these details entered (the current % is probably less than that).

Given that we appear to have reached a 300K plateau this "critical mass" is simply not going to happen if we continue along the present course.

Here's a quote from Justin on the subject of getting DNS lookups integrated into mobile phones:

Quote:
    [/size]

Originally Posted by Justin Hayward (Post 17484)
    Last year we had a very positive reaction from a major European high street retailer of mobile phones who was looking to integrate the .tel offer into their web offering. They loved the product, saw a good fit and liked the apps we had developed. However, when it came to the crunch, the registrar they were looking to work with let the whole thing down with the purchase process, and interest went dead. Will we get a second chance? I don't know.

Getting a phone manufacturer to embed a domain dialler in their handset is a huge challenge. Have we been talking to companies about it? Sure. Do you know how many layers of people you have to go through, how quickly people join and leave these organisations and how many priorities they have?

[size]
    So something dramatic has to be done to get to "critical mass" in order to make integrated DNS lookups attractive to phone manufacturers.

Here's a quote giving suggestions I have made:

Quote:
    [/size]

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 19132)
    Dramatic action is needed now by Telnic e.g.

- Get a major player (Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Skype, etc.) to buy into, or purchase outright, Telnic.

- Get millions of domains registered in the next few months by giving them away with mobile phones free for 1-year.

- Conduct a mass marketing campaign to ensure that everyone has heard of, and desires, a .tel domain.

- Ensure that .tel has a presence at the London 2012 Olympics.

- Etc., Etc., Etc.

To use a famous quote, "Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results".

[size]
    I have made contingency plans in case .tel continues more or less along the same path as it currently is - though like all on this forum I hope that one day .tel will catch the attention of "Joe Public" so that owning a .tel domain will be as natural as owning a mobile phone.

Mike Seaton[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-02, 12:49 pm