The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Adding a .tel search to a .tel page

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Adding a .tel search to a .tel page Empty Adding a .tel search to a .tel page

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 2:51 am

spline10-05-2009 09:00 AM

Adding a .tel search to a .tel page

I would really like to be able to have a .tel searchengine box to my .tel pages.
    (perhaps as a small link (button) that opens a searchbox).

This way if a visitor comes to my page with a cellphone, he/she would not have to leave the .telspace to find other similar .tel pages.

Lets say a visitor that is looking for something comes to my page, but realize that its the wrong page.

He could simply make a search in the searchbox and continue to any of the next results.

1. It would make it very simple to keep browsers in the .tel space.
    (which is probably what the browser person wants since he is looking at a .tel page in the first place.)

2. Having access to a builtin searchbox would really improve the usability.

3. It would make .tel pages more attractive.

(sure I and others could add a link to a .tel search engine by themselfs)

But the important thing is that I think it must common place.

If you implement it, it could be by default turned on for all domains.
    But in advanced it could be turned off if someone has a domain where they don't want to give that possibility.

However why would you want to limit your customers?

nadya10-05-2009 10:31 AM

Thank you for your suggestion, spline. Yes, definitely a search inside a .tel is on our roadmap, http://telnic.org/community-roadmap.html 

The first stage would be to release TelPages, the .tel directory search engine. Once we've done that, we can implement a search box inside a .tel domain to use TelPages but look inside this domain only. 

I can't see why you'd enable somebody to hide the search box on their .tel, so I expect it'd be shown on all domains. 

You also got me thinking: what if I search in your domain, and can't find anything. The search results page should probably also offer a link to telpages.com (opens in a new window) to search all .tel domains for my query. Do you think it's a good idea?

Shahid10-05-2009 12:15 PM

Hello,

That's a very good idea of the search box it will not only save time but also help people to find things faster, more over if a record of those searches are stored in the .tel stat it will add more fun to it because lets say someone came to my .tel and searched for a word service and i did not have it listed i will more then happy to list it next time if someone comes as i would want a person to be hooked to my.tel

i think if the search box comes it should be visible on all pages as that's the key to it, more over even if it plans to search more results on telpages.com it should be mobile friendly that could help other .tel owners reached faster too

just a suggestion :) 

Shahid

dotteler10-05-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nadya (Post 1756)
    Thank you for your suggestion, spline. Yes, definitely a search inside a .tel is on our roadmap, http://telnic.org/community-roadmap.html

[size]
    This will definitely elevate the use of .tel as directory to new heights.[/size]

TELnew10-06-2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Once we've done that, we can implement a search box inside a .tel domain to use TelPages but look inside this domain only.

I can't see why you'd enable somebody to hide the search box on their .tel, so I expect it'd be shown on all domains. 

You also got me thinking: what if I search in your domain, and can't find anything. The search results page should probably also offer a link to telpages.com (opens in a new window) to search all .tel domains for my query. Do you think it's a good idea?

[size]
    Search box inside a .tel domain and a link to telpages search i a great idea indeed.
    Looking forward to see it's happening soon.[/size]

mactel10-06-2009 06:55 PM

Brilliant!

Yes, exactely:

One search engine, for the domain name itself. And:
    One global search engine, such as „telpages“.

This is the key to the success of the dot tel domain!
    Bring out the champagne! Lets party! :) 

spline10-06-2009 06:58 PM

Quote:

The first stage would be to release TelPages, the .tel directory search engine. Once we've done that, we can implement a search box inside a .tel domain to use TelPages but look inside this domain only. 

[size]
    Thats very nice to hear

I think that rather than first having to perform a search and then find the "search this on telpages.com link" it could offer two clickable buttons. 

1 Search this .tel (default marked)
    2. Search all .tel (searches the query on telpages)

This way you will only need one keypress.

The search all button would take your search and do it on the telpages.com (with option to refine search by location. etc.

Google checks from what country someone is searching. 

The same should be for the telpages search. It could check what area the previous domain the surfer was on, and sort the search by distance. If its possible.

It could be very useful when for example searching for a restaurant or other service nearby.

Should the searchbox be at the top of pages or at the bottom, or allways on top like in a different frame?[/size]

tony mayo10-06-2009 08:40 PM

Yes, this is indeed good news. 
    I have been carrying out some tests of my own using the existing .tel search engines for specific searches and it is most encouraging.
    You search and then just two clicks and you are talking to the business/restaurant/hotel you require.
    Populate your .tel domains and Telpages will do the rest.
    Roll on Telpages.

mactel10-06-2009 08:49 PM

Populate your .tel domains

Yes: Populate your .tel domains:

Highly important!

FreakySteve10-06-2009 11:39 PM

Hi All,

I love the idea of a .tel search engine within the .tel itself. 

I am 100% opposed to a mandatory link that sends people to the TelPages SE. This sounds like a repeat of the Telnic backlink when .tel started.

Searching within the domain is fine since that keeps my traffic within my domain. A link to the TelPages search engine is an unacceptable traffic leak. If I put marketing effort and $$$ into driving traffic to my .tel only to have them search and find someone else's, because of a Telnic imposed option, I would not be happy at all.

That would be like saying a .com (or whatever TLD) should automatically have a link to Google in case the visitors can't find what they are looking for. If people can't find what they want at your a website, it is your choice to offer alternative search methods or other destinations.

The option should be there but I should have the choice as to whether I send my visitors there.

mactel10-07-2009 01:08 AM

Two searchengine boxes:

One for telpages (or any other .tel search engine), and the other for searching within your specific .tel domain, which you are looking at.

Save time, by just entering key words into the box.

The idea, is to stay on the TelProxy, and not have to leave it, by going to a website. Or else, you might loose your way back.

Again:
    Stay on TelProxy, and use one or two of the two search engines.

Safe time.
    Only go to .tel domains from thetelyouarelookingat.tel

FreakySteve10-07-2009 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mactel (Post 1785)
    Two searchengine boxes:

One for telpages (or any other .tel search engine), and the other for searching within your specific .tel domain, which you are looking at.

Save time, by just entering key words into the box.

The idea, is to stay on the TelProxy, and not have to leave it, by going to a website. Or else, you might loose your way back.

Again:
    Stay on TelProxy, and use one or two of the two search engines.

Safe time.
    Only go to .tel domains from thetelyouarelookingat.tel

[size]
    As long as it is up to the .tel owner as to whether that TelPages field is visible, then that could work. Alternatively, you could have a check box for "Search All .tel Domains", but again, the visibility of this option would have to be up to the domain owner.

It is not acceptable for links or forms that take traffic away from my domain to be imposed upon the layout of my domain. If I want to offer the option for my visitors to visit TelPages (or Google, or Bing, or Telodex, or whatever) that should be my option as theowner of the domain and not up to the layout of the proxy.[/size]

mactel10-07-2009 02:27 AM

The "Search All .tel Domains" searchengine box, is the more important one, not the other one.
    The "Search All .tel Domains" searchengine box within a .tel domain (no link, but a box) will be what will help .tel. 

It is the only solution to make the dot tel domain economically viable.
    Without the "Search All .tel Domains" searchengine box within a .tel domain, .tel would be a "non go".
    Because, otherwhise, mainstream would never (be able) to pick up .tel.
    But if it will have that box, directly on the telproxy, the dot tel domain, will be very hard to outperform, to outclass, or to beat.
    As soon, as that would be there, and work...: Wow!...:

For the first time, you will be noticing, that the meanstream is picking up .tel, and using it.
    At present: who do you see, using the dot tel domain?: telsters, developers, small businesses, and a few other minorities. That is a fact. I don't see mainstream using .tel, but maybe very soon, if no one misunderstands the concept with the search engines, and messes all up.
    Put both boxes, and make all happy. No links. Only direct search entries.

spline10-13-2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreakySteve (Post 1784)
    Hi All,

I love the idea of a .tel search engine within the .tel itself. 

I am 100% opposed to a mandatory link that sends people to the TelPages SE. This sounds like a repeat of the Telnic backlink when .tel started.

Searching within the domain is fine since that keeps my traffic within my domain. A link to the TelPages search engine is an unacceptable traffic leak. If I put marketing effort and $$$ into driving traffic to my .tel only to have them search and find someone else's, because of a Telnic imposed option, I would not be happy at all.

That would be like saying a .com (or whatever TLD) should automatically have a link to Google in case the visitors can't find what they are looking for. If people can't find what they want at your a website, it is your choice to offer alternative search methods or other destinations.

The option should be there but I should have the choice as to whether I send my visitors there.

[size]
    .tel domains must become more useful in order to get people to find and use them.

The best way to do that is to offer people a chance to search within the .tel space and within you domain.

You are not losing customers if .tel places a searchbox on the .tel domains, in fact you are gaining new customers as people will start to use .tel domains and find your .tel domain from the searchbox on the millions of other .tel domains.

In order for it to work it has to be a default.

Facebook have a searchbox to find new things on facebook. You don't have to leave facebook and go to google.

It will benefit the whole adoption of .tel domains. 
    People will start to consider .tel useful, it will benefit you more than if there where no searchbox on any .tel domains.

Its not the same thing as a backlink to .tel since the search is very useful as opposed to a backlink to .tel.

Today everyone has a google searchbox on the top of their webbrowser.

In order for people to not use the google searchbox on their webbrowser and leave the .tel space there have to be a searchbox on the .tel pages.

Though I can see your point. 

If there is a possibility to remove the searchbox, it should be something that is not very easy to do. So only the most dedicated people for not having the searchbox can remove it.

There must be an easy way by default to navigate from one tel to another without leaving .tel space that is what will lose you customers.

And rather than having two searchboxes, one box two buttons.

The default button, when pressing enter should ofcourse be search within the .tel site.[/size]

mactel10-13-2009 07:37 PM

Spline, 
    I fully agree with you.

And I second your comments about this issue.
    There is not much, to say about this, because you are so right.
    It will be ecactly about this search engine feature, which will decide about if mainstream will pick up the dot tel domain, or if it will not.

And here, for all to hear:

If it will not, then .tel will fail as a mainstream domain. 

But maybe not as a domain for techies.

But most of the money, that is supposed to make .tel viable, would be comming from mainstraim. As "streaming and flowing money", for any economist to understand, as well.
    All makes full sense, and is about simple mathematics and common sense.

Current date/time is 2024-05-11, 6:21 pm