The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Szenario for another .tel video (not possible, yet)...

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Szenario for another .tel video (not possible, yet)... Empty Szenario for another .tel video (not possible, yet)...

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 2:59 am

mactel12-31-2009 06:04 PM

Szenario for another .tel video (not possible, yet)...

Hi,
    It looks like I need your help:

I just said to my self:

Hey!: What about .tel and and the telephone (non-mobile)?

I guess, that might not work, with dialing a name?

But as far as I know, it once was possible, to dial a name, in the Twenties, or so (without, and as a combi word/number).

Imagine this szenario.
    A woman met a guy, on her way from work, going back home: He said, "...my name is Pete, and my phone number is pete.tel. Give me a call, when you get back home..."

So, the woman, as soon as she has arrived home, she goes to her phone on the desk of her home office, and dials "pete.tel".:

I haven't heard of such a possibility, but I think it would be great for .tel, and for all of us, if it would be real, one day...

Any ideas, or suggestions?....
    P.S.: To simplify: Let's assume the person has no PC, laptop, or mobile phone..., at home (for whatsoever reasons), and only a rather outdated digital telephone... 
    I guess, that if pete's number is for example 043875058, the home-telephone would need a dial with letters, as well, and the phone service provider would have to be able to read "pete.tel" as "043875058". - I understood, that that was the case, one time, till it was changed to a combi number: For example "pete058". Which got replaced by "043875058", which is where we are now, again...

.tel12-31-2009 10:07 PM

Hi Mactel,

For cordless phones (DECT) there could be a possible solution for your mentioned scenario.
    Please take a look : http://telnic.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248
    I hope someone from Telnic read this as well.

Happy New Year!
    .tel

mactel12-31-2009 11:12 PM

Thank you so much. Very interesting and informative.

I think, if the dot tel domain wants to be a telefon number, and claims it is a telefon number ("Love Train" video), then it would make sense, to try to achieve that .tel not only works on mobile phones, but also on other type of phones (house and office phones), and also wire phones.

I still don't quite get it, that Telnic names a domain extension ".tel",and that it only works on a mobile phone... (for telephone / phone usage).

Because ".tel" does mean "telephone", and not "mobile".

And it is the dot mobi registry, that knew, that there are a lot of "dummies" out there. That is why it launched the .mobi extension, and not a ".tele" extension, or similar. 

Telnic just did not assume, or imagine, how many "dummies" that are out there, because the "dummies" still don't grasp or get .tel.

But if you could tell a "dummy", that .tel works as a telefonnumber for (nearly) all types of telephones, than he will understand: 

----------- .tel = telephone ---------------- (inclusive mobile phones).

Now: If you ask a "dummy", what ".mobi", means, he will tell you:

------------- .mobi = mobile, repectively, mobile phone, or cell phone ---

.tel is still confusing, for outsiders. It is not as confusing for insiders.

But we want to provide outsiders (mainstream / potential .tel newbies) with simple messages, that the can understand.

Ok, ok: The dot tel domain was mainly meant for mobile usage...: I understand. But it is hard to explain that to simple people, if the domain has a extension, that is named ".tel".

Now, make a advantage out of the dissadvantage, that .tel obvioulsy has, because it confuses people.

Something like this, would of made a lot of sense: The dot mobi registry would of merged with the dot tel registry, and there would be no more .mobi's and .tel's anymore, but only one extension for mobile usage, that works according to the "old .tel concept": Simply ".mo".

Now Telnic better see, that .tel also will work on other types of phones, and it might be done.

The problem is not the technology: The problem is only the existing confusion with domain extension names.
    And there might be a few too many around. And so every existing domain extension must provide us with a valid reason for it to exist. Why it has the right to exist and remain within the domain or Internet industry. And why we should continue to support it (and that goes for .mobi and .biz, as well, which are the two other whipping boys of the domain name industry, next to .tel). I am sure, there are valid reasons, for each and every existing domain extension. But just point those out, and: Get better, improve your self. Move. Make a effort. Show some enthusiasm. Make the extra mile. 

And the new domain extensions to come, such as .gay, .eco, etc.: They won't have it any easier, and will have to prove their selfs, and try to survive. 
    Dot com neither had a easy life, and had to struggle, at times, but had a lot of financial support and promoting, as far as I know. 

You either like or love a domain extension, or hate it: I do love them all.
    Happy New Year!

.tel01-01-2010 01:02 PM

Hi Mactel,

today some softphones already support a .tel domain name as dialstring!

http://dev.telnic.org/pages/more_apps.html 
    => PhonerLite Softphone 

you need just enter i.e. "henri.tel" as dialstring. 

1.) DNS lookup (First TEL will be used, maybe here Telnic could implement a prefered contact method checkbox)
    2.) TEL-URI convert into ENUM
    3.) Dial

Thanks
    .tel

mactel01-01-2010 03:00 PM

Thanks!
    Fantastic!
    And what about the mainstream users?
    What about the "dummies"?
    What about "average Joe"?
    What about "Granny Smith"?
    About "Aunt Rosy"?
    About my mum?
    About potential .tel newbies?

Will they all go to the developers page, and install those phones, or phone up a IT engineer or technician, to get the job done?

Surely not.

Hey! Wake up!: The dot tel domain is suposed to go mainstream. Or where can it go?
    .Tel is still only for techies, but should be for the mainstream, if it wants to get big.

Mainstream friendly....., but which .tel is not.

nadya01-01-2010 03:33 PM

Mactel, Thank you for your post. 

I think we all agree that the ability to dial a .tel name on any phone would be greatly beneficial for the promotion and spread of the .tel extension. In fact, late last year we created a simple Perl script that can run on a dect phone to do the DNS lookup, show you the retrieved numbers and allow you to call. We are now testing this script on our phones in the office and hope to make it available on the developer site shortly. This is yet another step in the direction of direct dialling .tel domain names, but adopting new technology takes time, and bringing it to the general public worldwide takes even longer.

mactel01-01-2010 03:53 PM

Hi Nadya, have a good start in this new year.
    Thanks, for your update. For updating me.
    That sounds very promissing, and is another reason, why we should strongly support the dot tel domain. 

Because also this will be correct:
    ----------- .tel = telephone ----------------

and:

---------- .tel = telephone + mobile (phone) ----------------

which means that if:

---------- .mobi = mobile phone ------------

then .tel looks more interesting than .mobi.

As people will understand, that ".tel" means "telephone and mobile phone", and all sorts of modern phones.

A dot mobi domain, will still be saying: "I am a mobile website, for viewing on a mobile phone". - Anything more, the .mobi extension can do, or offer?

So, people will then see, what the dot tel domain offers, and they will compare, etc. 

Conlusion:
    A confusion between .mobi, .tel and other domain extensions will then be less. Less confusing. As definition is easier. And understanding, too.
    Till now, the usage of a dot tel domain name/address, involves the following, and shows the following constellation:

----------- small business owner on the go (plumber, taxi, etc.) ////// client (in need of help/services) ----------

For example, the company adverts his .tel on his car, in newspapers, or online. The client then sees that, and contacts the company either online (web), or through his mobile phone, or he even notes the telephone number from the website of the company, and adds it to his phone address book, I guess, that the last example might be done most (adding classic telephone number to digital telephone address book). Because people who are asking for services, like to do it from home, and save costs, as phoning from a mobile device is more expensive.

We are still in the middle of Internet development. And it is still early times for Internet. There will be many more users to be using Internet in future, who don't have Internet access at the moment.

This simply means, that you will be rewarded for your patience, as well. 
    You can be fast, and create and develope useful things fast, but obviously, you can not expect mainstream to take up the same pace, because mainstream is always very slow. But you better educate mainstream, and be ready, for when mainstream is ready.

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 10:09 am