The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Suggesting a default icon

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Suggesting a default icon Empty Suggesting a default icon

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 3:20 am

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-28-2010 02:48 PM

Suggesting a default icon

Telnic/Aled:

Is it possible to change the proxy to have one default icon per all domain pages?
    This is what is already done for template colours as the .tsm record is replicated.
    And same for google adsense with .gad record.
    So why not extend to icons, it sure would make things easier and nicer.
    Still can have individual overides for specific pages.

Mark

Aled04-28-2010 03:08 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Mark, I'll log it for internal review. Note, however, that this would be different to the current functionality for colours and AdSense. They both automatically waterfall through the entire domain "tree". There is no granularity to say that a certain folder is a different colour.

If such functionality is offered, in addition to the granularity on a per-folder basis, the complexity would increase greatly. We need to balance usability and functionality.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-28-2010 03:22 PM

Aled,
    The nice thing about having the logo cascade is that it brings uniformity to a domain, same as a color or template change brings uniformity. 

Perhaps the simpler solution is to have the proxy read the root DNS NAPTR for the logo if there isn't one at the subdomain level?

Mark

maximka04-28-2010 04:04 PM

Mark, do you mean to have the same logo on all pages automatically?

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-28-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximka (Post 8577)
    Mark, do you mean to have the same logo on all pages automatically?

[size]
    Yes, then change sub domain icons as needed[/size]

dottel.net04-28-2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 8567)
    Telnic/Aled:

Is it possible to change the proxy to have one default icon per all domain pages?
    This is what is already done for template colours as the .tsm record is replicated.
    And same for google adsense with .gad record.
    So why not extend to icons, it sure would make things easier and nicer.
    Still can have individual overides for specific pages.

Mark

[size]
    the record is not replicated - was experimenting with having it added by default then reset for a couple of subdomains but this does not work.[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-28-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 8580)
    the record is not replicated - was experimenting with having it added by default then reset for a couple of subdomains but this does not work.

[size]
    I didn't say the icon record was replicated. I'm suggesting it to be auto-replicated as an option in the future.[/size]

dottel.net04-28-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 8581)
    I didn't say the icon record was replicated. I'm suggesting it to be auto-replicated as an option in the future.

[size]
    i didn't say icon either

Quote:
    [/size]

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 8567)
    Telnic/Aled:

[size]
    it's the template colours record that im refering to here. this also doesn't appear to be replicated as you can't change it on a per subdomain[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-28-2010 06:23 PM

I suppose semantics matters. At any rate, I made the suggestion, it's up to Telnic to implement if there is enough interest.

tel4rent04-28-2010 09:37 PM

Mark,

Very interesting point. But the other way around is true. What about if we need the logo to display only on the main page...if updated on all pages, you will need to visit every subdomain and remove the logo

So it should be optional...with possibility to choose either one or all and then change the individual pages.

And it should be optional for colors as well as adsense

Be well.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-28-2010 09:54 PM

Yes optional is the idea.

Rinaldi04-29-2010 11:10 AM

Howdy, folks!
    I just figured out, that your .Tel site can get found easily in Goolge Search/Images, through your .Tel logo.

But only providing you do have a logo on your .Tel pages (at least one, on your main/landing .Tel).

Just another typ, for having your images found in Google Search:
    Name (or rename) the logo with searchable keywords, and don't have empty spaces between the words. Example for Image Properties:
    http://www.mybusiness.tel/images/logo_mybusiness.gif.

If you then check the Link Properties of that image (within Google Search/Images), then you get to see a link, similar to this one;

htt...//images.google.ch/imgres?imgurl=http://myimages/logo_mybusiness.gif&imgrefurl=http://mybusiness.tel/

The image/logo will display within Google Search/Images, and will then most likely lead to your .Tel domain, if you click on the image/logo.

That applies for any website logo. Very clever, isn't it?...
    Now, if you wanna have a sub-domain found that way, you would have have a logo on that sub-domain, and name it accordingly. 

It will probably only take a week, for your image to show up in Google Search. Possibly on the first page.

Bye, folks, see ya!...

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-29-2010 12:01 PM

Rinaldi, nice info. 

Adding a label to your icon should also help SEO, although when I view the source for a .tel, I don't see my long label from the photo Naptr record.

Aled, shouldn't the CTH logo description that be there as either a title or alt tag ?

Correction: my mistake - labels do appear

dottel.net04-29-2010 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 8599)
    Rinaldi, nice info. 

Adding a label to your icon should also help SEO, although when I view the source for a .tel, I don't see my long label from the photo Naptr record.

Aled, shouldn't the CTH logo description that be there as either a title or alt tag ?

[size]
    how are you setting the description? via the control panel?
    It's definately working if applied via a Soap API request, see here:
    http://oxfordstreet.tel - view the source and the long label has been applied within the title[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-29-2010 02:49 PM

Yes that works via Soap, but CTH has a description field with the logo for 99% of everyone else, and that appears not to be working.
    Mark

Correction: logo does in fact work, I have two logos on one domain, one with label, one without.

OnSpec04-29-2010 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 8600)
    http://oxfordstreet.tel - view the source and the long label has been applied within the title

[size]

I've added a bit more. Hover over the icon at http://blowdrybars.tel. Wonder what effect it will have.

Cheers,[/size]

Aled04-29-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 8603)
    Yes that works via Soap, but CTH has a description field with the logo for 99% of everyone else, and that appears not to be working.
    Mark

[size]
    Mark,

I've just tried using the CTH and there wasn't a problem, the tags were added as expected. Do you have an example of it not working? Are you able to recreate?

Thanks[/size]

dottel.net04-29-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnSpec (Post 8604)

I've added a bit more. Hover over the icon at http://blowdrybars.tel. Wonder what effect it will have.

Cheers,

[size]
    nice try :)[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-29-2010 04:04 PM

Aled, I apologize - my mistake. Just did a Dig and the site has 2 photo records, one doesnt have a label, the other does and the proxy picked the one without. It just happened to be the first site I picked and probably the only one that I thought didnt work.
    Mark

Rinaldi04-30-2010 01:29 PM

Howdy!

About the .Tel icons, that get displayed on Google Search/Images:

Without special treatment, all .Tel logos seem to get favored by Google Search/Images, and show up on the first page ot the relevant search (name of the .Tel domain, even without the ".tel" extension).

Thats cool!

Go check it out, if you can see your .Tel logo on Google Search/Images.

Heya, see ya, friends!
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Suggesting a default icon Empty Re: Suggesting a default icon

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 3:20 am

OnSpec05-01-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 8606)
    nice try

[size]

Working now... :)[/size]

maximka05-01-2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rinaldi (Post 8620)
    Without special treatment, all .Tel logos seem to get favored by Google Search/Images, and show up on the first page ot the relevant search (name of the .Tel domain, even without the ".tel" extension).

[size]
    In what way it is better to write keywords under the logo:

1. keyword keyword keyword keyword ... (with space between words)
    2. keyword, keyword, keyword, keyword ... (with comas)
    3. keyword-keyword-keyword-keyword ... ? (with dashes)

And what number of words/letters can be the optimal?

And should it be readable sentence or can be just a row of words?[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)05-01-2010 11:08 PM

Readable sentence IMO
    Mark

dob05-02-2010 01:25 PM

"One default icon per all domain pages" is good idea, Mark. Opt. default icon+link is it technicaly possible? For many domains as Geo tagged will be easter to attract general sponsors (bank, insuranse, club, etc).

Current date/time is 2024-05-20, 4:51 am