The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Reputation and purging with Openid.

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Reputation and purging with Openid. Empty Reputation and purging with Openid.

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 4:21 am

Bunjie01-20-2011 04:41 AM

Reputation and purging with Openid.

When we buy a .tel and use it to make comments, there's the issue that when we purchase one from a previous owner or pick up a dropped domain from a previous owner it comes with that reputation.

This is the same for any web domain, your buying traffic and links back but the issue of using oath/open id brings a new problem to light, most people are using their twitter or discus accounts or Facebook accounts as a way to validate their comment, and in most cases if someone stops using Facebook e.t.c it's only because they've been banned or died and most likely someone else won't have access to that URL name e.t.c.

Twitter does not seem to release old names unless you own some trademark e.t.c

Take me as a very good example, Imagine If I was to drop my bunjie.tel domain today! and you was to pick it up and use it as your own contact domain.

What issues do you think you might suffer? based on me having previously owned it?

Issue 1. comments you never said.

When I make comments I always use my .tel in the URL box so what ever I said can impact on your reputation if people still click through and see your contact data and not mine.

For instance I'm a commenting member of a certain news site that requires a different educate that is more in line with groups like /b/ and 4chan but a bit less extreme, now I should probably not have linked back but the damage was done once so it's become a part of me I can't hide.

Such a site requires a whole different persona but I still link back to my .tel so they know who I am in general and are aware within that scenario I'm not poetically pleasant, you don't go into a lion enclosure as prey you go in as a bigger predictor or with a respect of what customs are on that board, as such is with this forum we have rules and as such we abide by them.

Now all those comments impact on my reputation and all those click backs leave a scar on bunjie.tel so if you was to pick up my domain, less educated or less informed click through's would think you have said what I had said.

The solution to this is for Telnic to work with who ever created openid/oath and to start with Wordpress and allow the new owner or current owner of a .tel to pull up an archived list of all comments made and validated to that .tel.

Then use traceback and ping back e.t.c that are all ready a part of Wordpress for another reason and turn it into a system to purge or request a purge of that single comment or all comments, so that when you go to your comments menu on the control panel, you can click the purge all box and it will run through all the comment sites sending a ping or other such thing that on the other end will wipe those comments or remove the url and leave the comment intact but remove reference to the .tel.

This would give you a clean start, in some such situations you might want to keep a section of comments if they are good and within your field of expertise, like lawyer or other such comments, but it would be nice to have a system to modify those comments on a 3rd party site that are a legacy of the previous domain owner.

What other issues do you think you would have?

dottel01-20-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunjie (Post 12271)
    When we buy a .tel and use it to make comments, there's the issue that when we purchase one from a previous owner or pick up a dropped domain from a previous owner it comes with that reputation.

This is the same for any web domain, your buying traffic and links back

[size]
    I would like to correct few things here..
    1. The reputation of x website before drop and after drop will not be the same.
    2. SE will not valuate the x website just as it used to when it was live (not dropped).
    3. Reputation is not all about the traffic and back-links (quality reference).

yes I agree that a bad reputed social media id (taged to .tel site) may not be good for the new owner, but I guess that what makes a selling point? 

The buyer will and should check these things before purchase and am sure any buyer would think twice to put an offer on such domains/products/services which have negative reputation (in this case because of .tel open id)

So the bottomline is if tel owner has a plan to sell their .tel for a good price, then they work hard to gain good reputation and act responsibly. Same applies to buyer, if ones wants to buy a decent domain/site for huge price then they should do their investigation and place an order based on different factors (revenue, reputation, forecaste and etc).[/size]

spline01-20-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel (Post 12279)

The buyer will and should check these things before purchase and am sure any buyer would think twice to put an offer on such domains/products/services which have negative reputation (in this case because of .tel open id)

[size]
    Dont think the buyer will.

If I´m avarage joy and see my name free I will buy it, I will not think that someone else might have owned it before. Most people will not think about that.

Another question is that namenapping, by snappback services will become more interesting. But thats allways the case with domains in use...[/size]

dottel01-21-2011 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spline (Post 12281)

[size]
    It's not what I think or a sellers point. It's common sense of any buyer who does his homework before an investment.

Yes there are some % of people who might not even know how to use Internet but are curious to buy their domain name. 

Quote:
    [/size]

If I´m avarage joy and see my name free I will buy it, I will not think that someone else might have owned it before.

[size]
    Well then you might not even bothered about the reputation then

Quote:
    [/size]

Most people will not think about that.

[size]
    Well most of the owners would at least not do silly stuff with their openid that gets them negative reputation. If someone is that careless or irresponsible then then at the time of sale he will pay the price by getting low or no offers from buyers.

But again there is alway a chance of viceversa but that would be minimum.

Keep openid aside for now and image about social media profiles that so many business using on their .com or other tlds

Ex:
    Name.com
    Fb.com/namedotcom

So there is always a risk factor if you consider reputation. Ultimately it's in the hands of seller (to run successful business and get good price when sold), buyer (to consider different factors before purchase). 

I think there are alot more high priority things for telnic to focus on that helps reach the .tel message to more prospects and generate more actual users.[/size]

Bunjie01-21-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

If I´m avarage joy and see my name free I will buy it, I will not think that someone else might have owned it before. Most people will not think about that.

Another question is that namenapping, by snappback services will become more interesting. But thats allways the case with domains in use...

[size]
    People generally wont check and just take what's available that's true, but for business names they sure will inspect and look at all links and situation surrounding it, they have the time and money to data mine that to get a self image right where as a normal user wont.

And this thread is only focused general users really which is what we need more of, business is great and all but there's not much life in stale & static corporate e.t.c.

There is another option blocking referrers, so if x site sends traffic it bounces to a 404 page or a not found or to buy a .tel page but that's unreliable.

If we take Facebook as an example not everyone cares whats being put out in the open, it's only when it comes back to haunt them that they panic and if .tel is going to be around longer than the next 10 years they need to plan some way of purging or doing damage control for new owners or having the ability to deflect by referrer.

This is not for me... I don't mind what trouble will accumulate I've embraced the inevitable reputation and using it to my advantage but that's another story, the main marketing of .tel has always been there's only one your name.tel and hundreds of thousands of people in the world with the same name, if people are going to heavily use it then we need tools to remember where that reputation is coming from and be able to do damage control on it.

And yes I agree they have better things to work on, this is one for the back burner perhaps in the next 5 years but it should be on the table so people know what they're buying into and that it can be cleaned up even on a 3rd party site because telnic decide to recognize that this might be an issue worth investing thought and future planning in.

Or how about Telnic do a deal with http://www.archive.org/web/web.php the wayback machine so old links that you don't want forwarding to your page get pushed away to a copy of the .tel in the wayback machine so it's clear that someone else owned it e.t.c

Or maybe we can have our own archive page for each .tel that clearly states someone else owned it at x time that unwanted and "ticked" incoming links get forward too.[/size]

Cees01-21-2011 09:19 PM

This bit of software may assist to some degree.
    It places an expiration date on your chosen images.

http://www.x-pire.de/index.php?id=6&L=2

dottel01-27-2011 11:44 AM

Either this thread is for individuals or business, the reputation management is something that involves some level of manual work. There are agencies for this. It would be pretty easy to educate the user than trying to fix things via some software updates that are not reliable and 100% accurate.

If someone has real issues which were created by previous owner then can either
    1. Put a note on their newly bought site - "New owner", "Under New Management" or something similar.
    2. Close the accounts at the said social networking sites first.
    3. Other type of steps that help their site from such issues.

Things like customisation are the most priority ones that .tel should improve on..

No TLD offers any kind of reputation management tools as in practical that would not be possible for different reasons and the same applies to .tel as a TLD.

name.com has namedotcom facebook fanpage. If name.com ignores any negative comments left on it's page then it's name.com management responsibility to face the consequences rather than expecting .com TLD to provide tools to clean on the stuff that an individual/business/owner creates. Same applies to both individual and business.

Making a deal with archive.org is alright but that's just one site and there could be more than 1 service (may not be that large but clone or similar sites).

Moreover it's an individuals job to clean any of such things http://www.archive.org/post/342335/p...-pages-of-mine

The ideal thing is to educate buyers about reputation management rather than investing on software that can never be 100% accurate. Even the companies that do reputation management uses software that brings them the negative comments and their references, it's the reputation management company's job to handle it and lessen the effect of completely get it removed (if it's not a true feedback).

Having .tel specific archive still does not address the issue, moreover there is a thing called sitemaps. The search engines and crawlers look for these sitemaps because they are there for a reason. To have latest and upto date links of the site pages so that these crawlers crawl latest information.

Having appropriate instructions in a robots.txt file will prevent any unwanted robots to crawl your site and index. So it would be easy to avoid thousands of unwanted crawlers from a single line code than making deals with thousands of them

Current date/time is 2024-05-07, 12:02 pm