The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

OpenID

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

OpenID                  Empty OpenID

Post by Telnic 2015-01-03, 5:27 am

Tintent08-25-2010 08:01 PM

OpenID

Hi Folks,

I've just tried out the OpenID feature of .tel but found that I need to use the Username allocated to me by my host (DomainMonster).

The Username they allocated is a prefix 3 letters followed by a random 7 digit number. Now, there is no way I can remember this every time I want to log into a website. To me, this makes the OpenID feature useless!

Is this Username setup unique to DomainMonster? Or, is there a way of changing the Username?

Comments would be appreciated!!

J.

spline08-25-2010 08:22 PM

I know you can change it at name.com

Have you contacted domainmonster? They have really good support.

Cees08-25-2010 08:30 PM

At name.com you change it yourself, however I believe with domainmonster you have to get them to do it, I have found them to be helpful as well.

Bunjie08-25-2010 08:33 PM

Flock a Firefox social media variant, has an add on to help with OpenId http://www.flock.com/node/64720

For Regular Firefox:

Sxipper 2.3.4 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4865/
    VeriSign's OpenID SeatBelt 1.0.0.3935 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5133/

And yes you can probably change it if you contact support, just don't make it a weak login and password.

Tintent08-26-2010 10:05 PM

Hi Folks,

I got a reply from DM this morning. Unfortunately they say it's not possible for them to change the Username:

Quote:

I've discussed this with the Domainmonster.com Development Team for you and unfortunately, there isn't a way to change the Username for your OpenID. Obviously we don't want you to go to other providers however OpenID username modification isn't a service we provide. I would simply suggest copying it into a file you can easily access so that you can copy and paste it whenever you need it. As I said though, we're unable to modify your username for you. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, Jamie!

[size]
    It's not a deal breaker for me, I have another domain I can use but it might be worth the heads up to new users. I would consider this a registrar that is not fully supporting .tel though. I use several computers in a day, one of the reasons I'm attracted to OpenID. I don't think their "File Workaround" is much use for me!

Thanks for your comments. I hope the thread offers some insight to others.

J.[/size]

spline08-27-2010 10:27 PM

Are you sure they got your question right? Its not the username of your OpenID you want to change but the username to access your .tel?
    Seems strange to me that you can change it on name.com but not domain monster.

Tintent08-27-2010 11:16 PM

When I log into my Domain Monster account I have a username and password that I chose myself when I opened the account. Once I log in to my account I can access my .tel control panel without having to log in again.

However, if I want to log in to my .tel directly or use any of the 3rd party apps including OpenID, I need different log in details. This second set of details is allocated by Domain Monster. Strangely, the password is the same for both but the username is not. It is 3 letters followed by 7 numbers - not easy to remember!! Domain Monster say that they cannot change this username.

I hope this makes sense!

I find it disappointing that this is the case and hope that DM do something about it because, for me, it has a big impact on the way I can use my .tel.

dialaroom09-06-2010 03:06 PM

I have a couple of .tels with D.M. and find the password thing awkward, but now use Name.com, you can change your password, and assign different passwords and accounts to different .tels registered with them, great if you want to give another person permission to add things to one or two of your .tels.

henri09-07-2010 03:00 PM

Your OpenID "username" on 3rd party sites is your .tel of course.
    What @Tintent is talking about is that in order to authenticate himself using his OpenID .tel he needs to use the Telhosting username/password.

DomainMonster made a decision to simplify usage of the Telhosting control panel by auto-logging you in if you're already logged in to their domain management website (so you won't have to remember yet another user/pass combo). The flipside to this is that they generate exceedingly complicated usernames and passwords for Telhosting. In the case where you go from DM to TH it's a simple automatic click, but if you use OpenID then you have to use the TH username/password.

Again, this is purely a DM implementation and I do agree that it's at the least awkward, and now with the OpenID feature even more so.

telrific09-07-2010 05:18 PM

The entire idea "in a nutshell" for .tel is "one address for life".

The "one address for life" is supposed to "you".tel .

"You" is supposed to be ... ready for this ? ... "the name you use"

WOW, some people call this a ... ready again ? ... "username"

If .tel and friending and OAuth and telhosting and .... doesn't use the "you" part of "you.tel" for everything you can login to ... there is really no point !!!!

Username (for everything) should be the "you".tel

Let the password system be the ONE difficulty to remember.

ONE (or two or three) "secret password(s)" is the key, not:

1. .tel username password
    2. friending username password
    3. OAuth username password

etc., etc., etc.

Get the system to support the entire point of .tel .... simplicity through ONE for all.

AJV USA09-10-2010 07:40 PM

Doesn't OpenId do that now ?

telrific09-10-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJV USA (Post 10910)
    Doesn't OpenId do that now ?

[size]
    Benefits as stated on the OpenID site:

- Accelerate Sign Up Process at Your Favorite Websites
    - Reduce Frustration Associated with Maintaining Multiple Usernames and Passwords
    - Gain Greater Control Over Your Online Identity
    - Minimize Password Security Risks

One ID and Password is "All You Need" ... For You.

The point I was making is that even if you have "you" covered with OpenID,
    it doesn't mean that "you" are covered with those you are "sharing" with.

One ID and Multiple Profiles Should Be The Key, Just Like Any Security System.

One "Main" DataSet, with profiles that allow "access" per Administrator.

.tel obviously uses the theory with TelFriends, but a .TEL should only need a PASSWORD for each level of access or routing, 
    NOT a NEW USERNAME and PASSWORD.

ONE .TEL USERNAME FOR EVERYTHING - With Multiple Profile Passwords to Determine Access Privileges For Others.

Instead of "manage" or "private data may be available" simply "drop down" a list and enter a password for access - YOU control who can see what always with that system.

Use the old "I forgot password" if you need it from a friend, etc., with auto re-send. (to their .tel email address of course ;-)

:)[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 12:23 pm