The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

The Problem Of Pricing !

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

The Problem Of Pricing ! Empty The Problem Of Pricing !

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 5:30 am

mikeseaton04-29-2012 03:18 PM

The Problem Of Pricing !

I like the new Telnames template - http://ChicagoUSA.tel is the only one I currently own - and I may well transfer a few more to Telnames.

But I can't afford to move my domains en-masse to Telnames whilst they charge over 100% more than reputable and reliable registrars like Name.com and Dynadot.com.

Here's the comparison for Registration / Renewal / Transfer in USD (http://www.xe.com/ucc was used for converting Telnames £14.95 to $):

Name.com - 9.99 / 10.99 / 8.99

Dynadot.com - 10.99 / 10.99 / 10.99 (9.50 and 9.25 respectively with bulk and super bulk pricing)

Telnames.com - 24.31 / 24.31 / 24.31

I just don't think forum members will pay over 100% more to get the new features for anything other than a few of their domains - and of course they lose the ability to have Subdomains and AdSense revenue generation.

Maybe one solution is an Affiliate program offering forum members up to 50% commission on their own domain names as well as their referrals - that would still allow the Telnames retail price to remain intact - see http://telnic.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2795

Over to Telnames - do you want forum members domains transferred to you in bulk (assuming loss of Subdomains and AdSense is not a deterrent) ?

Mike Seaton

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-29-2012 04:34 PM

Forums members contributed to the initial "surge" of 30 purchases, mostly to test the waters. For instance, there were no sales yesterday. Telnames is not interested at all in sales from forum members. They want small business in the UK. And I doubt you'll see adsense at telnames.
    Mark

mikeseaton04-29-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 23101)
    Telnames is not interested at all in sales from forum members

[size]
    Mark, if you are correct, how interested will Telnic be in "keeping forum members on-side" by developing the non-Telnames templates and control panel ?

Or is it "game-over" for further significant non-Telnames enhancements ?

Quote:
    [/size]

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 23101)
    They want small business in the UK.

[size]
    Not just the UK I hope !

Telnames need to think big - if I was working as a PM there I would have an international Affiliate scheme (using CJ and/or TradeDoubler) up and running before the mid-May business start-up exhibition.

It can be done very quickly - just needs the will - the cost will soon be repaid many times over !

Mike Seaton[/size]

dottel.net04-29-2012 05:01 PM

there won't/can't be any sales beyond forum members 'testing' the waters because there hasn't been an marketing or seo push.

if the UK SME's are their target, they'd do better to partner with the government initiative I believe in collaboration with BT that was giving business a free .uk domain for a year. Believe the government and/or large corporates subsidise this so they wouldn't be giving it away at no cost to themselves...

p.s. This would be ideal as its not just a domain but an actual web prescence.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-29-2012 05:26 PM

Partnering with BT or government initiative makes sense for the UK. I suppose after their initial push at the UK business expo, they'll have to create new non-UK videos and collateral. As a registry, Telnic is allowed one bulk email to all registrants once per year, so you would think they'd use that channel?
    Mark

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-29-2012 05:30 PM

Telnic is the one that needs to keep forum members (who number far less than 1% of their market) and regular .tel owners happy by rapidly introducing the long-lost templates and at least the background images (even if only at the API level). That's something that they should do soon now that their Telnames development crunch is almost over.
    Mark

dottel.net04-29-2012 05:33 PM

as now telnames and telchina have the background feature, im convinced everything is already in place to expose this at the soap level. only roadblock would be they only current use hosted images. changing this to allow use of images hosted elsewhere (just like the logo) should be trivial (especially as they already have the code).

guess we'll find out more when the next quarterly telegraph comes out....

mikeseaton04-29-2012 05:36 PM

With all the recent Telnames excitement it's easy to forget these 3 winners !

This one is simply stunning !

Mike Seaton

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-29-2012 05:46 PM

Background support is inherent in the DNS .tsm record and I've already coded it, just waiting for the proxy to support it. The url should be any image url.
    Mark

dottel.net04-29-2012 05:50 PM

even better. url should or IS any image url? if the former, telnic pls fix this before exposing in the proxy...

Michael04-30-2012 02:54 AM

Hi Mike Seaton,

Regarding "This One is Stunning". Is this going to be reality? I have been waiting for the day that a .tel could be developed like this. If the original platform can be developed in this way, and maintaining the ability of sub domains. .tel becomes a no brainer in my view.

Is this type od development available now or will it be?

Thanks,

Michael

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-30-2012 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 23126)
    Is this type od development available now or will it be?

[size]
    It's there and visible in the DNS infrastructure, so it just needs Telnic to turn it on. So here's hoping it arrives with the imminent new templates.
    Mark[/size]

mikeseaton04-30-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 23126)
    Hi Mike Seaton,

Regarding "This One is Stunning". Is this going to be reality? I have been waiting for the day that a .tel could be developed like this.

[size]
    That's a question for Telnic, not one I can answer !

All 3 winning templates from the design competition were very good - this one just happens to be my personal favourite - ideal with its large image for a product per page (equals 1 subdomain) site.

It would be nice to get a definitive statement from Telnic regarding the release (assuming it is still planned) of the 3 design competition winning templates - I know some on this forum said they planned to hold off developing their .tels until these new templates were actually available.

Mike Seaton[/size]

mikeseaton05-01-2012 01:08 PM

Transfer Business available to Telnames

There's a lot of transfer business coming up in the next two weeks that Telnames could get if they offered .tel registrants a deal so that the current cost of $24.25 moves closer to the going rate of approximately $10.

I picked up a lot of premium 1-word keyword domains in the 1st week of June last year, these were initially registered on March 23/24 and therefore dropped at the beginning of June.

I wonder if Telnames will be pro-active enough to encourage transfer to them at less than the huge mark-up they currently require ?

If not I may transfer one or two of these premium names to Telnames, the remaining bulk of them will go to Name.com (transfer cost $8.99) or Dynadot.com (bulk pricing transfer cost $9.50).

There's a lot of difference between these prices and $24.25 - how keen is Telnames to take this business opportunity for the transfers coming up ?

Mike Seaton

PS. Telnames $24.25 calculated as £14.95 converted using today's exchange rate at http://www.xe.com/ucc

Current date/time is 2024-05-15, 8:37 am