The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Search Box

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Search Box   Empty Search Box

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 9:18 am

tel4rent05-08-2011 10:53 AM

Search Box

Hi Aled,

I agree with Boracay.tel that the Search Box issues are very important. It is such a powerful tool on the web and mobile. Its issues cannot be ignored or delayed too long. Customers are more and more seeing the benefits of using it and are actually send us (in my case) feedback. Would greatly appreciate your support:

Search Box with .tel and mobile, (.tel is set to search only within the domain):

1- The search results displays TELPAGES at the top which in turns takes you to the domain telpages.com. It defeats the purpose of setting it to search only under the domain name.
    2- Also, if you run a search with the search box provided below. The result returns a list domain that are outside the domain name.
    3- What are the chances to have the search box moved to the top of the domain when used on the mobile. Or at least have an option to enable it either at the top of bottom.

As always, thank you for your prompt reply.

Thanks

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)05-08-2011 12:44 PM

IMO, for mobile use, both where the search box appears and how the search results are displayed must be controllable options that the tel owner can set via the CTH. The interaction of tel visitors on mobile is an important topic that needs combined discussion of all the stakeholders.

Mark

dialaroom05-10-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 14581)
    IMO, for mobile use, both where the search box appears and how the search results are displayed must be controllable options that the tel owner can set via the CTH. The interaction of tel visitors on mobile is an important topic that needs combined discussion of all the stakeholders.

Mark

[size]
    Mark is quite right, I have a .tel set up in a particular way that the search box and where it appears on a mobile phone is of prime importance. So much so that the only way I can be sure it appears where I want it would be to use custom search and build a .mobi. - now, nobody wants that do they. Point made I hope.[/size]

Aled05-10-2011 08:53 AM

All, thanks for raising this. Making the position of the search box on the mobile proxy optional to be at the top or the bottom is certainly something we are looking at.

dialaroom05-10-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aled (Post 14641)
    All, thanks for raising this. Making the position of the search box on the mobile proxy optional to be at the top or the bottom is certainly something we are looking at.

[size]
    Thanks Aled. With all the different mobile platforms, and the rapid changes in them, I can but only imagine what a nightmare it must be.[/size]

tel4rent05-10-2011 08:43 PM

Aled and Telnic,

We would like to take this opportunity to reiterate the importance of the search box either on the web or smartphone. It is a great tool. Clients love it specially when it is well combined with keywords. Made optional is certainly a great plus.

We would like to ask another improvement ( if possible). Is it possible to have the search box actually searching across several .tel domains at the same time?

For example: Talfen.tel. If i am looking for hair dresser and type it in the search box at the root (Talfen.tel), the result returns nothing.

Today's Options: This.tel and All .tel
    Suggestion: This .tel, These .tel and All .Tel

Many thanks,

Aled05-11-2011 06:55 AM

tel4rent - this is actually something that we are already investigating as we appreciate the value it can bring to directory builders who are basing their directories across several .tels. There arre obvious complications involved as the owner would need to specify exactly which .tels should be grouped together in this way (rather than it automatically including all in a specific CTH account), but it's definitely something we are looking at.

tel4rent05-11-2011 10:36 AM

Aled,

Thank you very much for your quick reply. Is it something we could expect in the new CTH release?

regards,

dialaroom05-11-2011 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aled (Post 14649)
    tel4rent - this is actually something that we are already investigating as we appreciate the value it can bring to directory builders who are basing their directories across several .tels. There arre obvious complications involved as the owner would need to specify exactly which .tels should be grouped together in this way (rather than it automatically including all in a specific CTH account), but it's definitely something we are looking at.

[size]
    Aled it is quite easy at name.com and I'm sure other registrars as well to group our .tels into different CTH accounts. Are you saying that if we did we could have a search box for an account very easily and quickly?[/size]

tindaya05-11-2011 12:41 PM

I think also is very important to can create a usuary account, is like I have a administrator user, and I can create users account for the subdomains.
    So the administrator of one domain, will be possible to create one user per subdomain.

Aled05-11-2011 12:57 PM

tel4rent, no, it won't be in the new CTH when that is released. 

No, I just mean that it's not that simple for us when we are looking at it. We need to consider users who are with Registrars that do not allow new accounts to be created and even possibly users who have .tels that they wish to group with different registrars.

Blunderer05-11-2011 01:39 PM

Aled,

In an ideal world, a search of TelPages from a .tel, which produced multiple results, would display results in the same template and colour scheme as the .tel from which the search was generated, not the current TelPages view. 

This would create a better impression of inherent, integrated utility in .tel domains, rather than showing them as appendages to the search function, or vice versa.

Would that be possible?

Aled05-11-2011 05:46 PM

Hello Roy,

Are you talking about results which also include other .tels and not just the one that has been searched? If so I don't think it would be that effective in bringing the unity you mean as any .tel then linked to would likely have a different colour scheme/design.

tel4rent05-11-2011 07:02 PM

Aled,

I am sure that the telnic team is very busy but it is really crucial that the following be addressed within a specific time frame. Your feedback would be very appreciated.

- Search box option (top or bottom);
    - Results page should not allow user to navigate outside the specific .tel (if that option is selected);
    - Possibility to search across multiple .tel domains.

Many thanks

Blunderer05-11-2011 08:22 PM

Thats what I meant, Aled. I just thought it would give the impession that .tel domains have significant search functionality - within the .tel community, of course. At present, its apparent that a .tel is only a portal to a search engine e.g. my .tel uses the classic template and is coloured red - a search takes me to a grey TelPages, with a completely different style - this takes me to the object site which will probably (almost certainly) be different again. One might expect the object site to be different but, to move through three different styles is not attractive. It may even be confusing.

Anyway, if it's not possible then that's the end of the matter.

boracay.tel07-07-2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tel4rent (Post 14662)
    - Results page should not allow user to navigate outside the specific .tel (if that option is selected);

[size]
    this is a very serious "user experience" issue on mobiles. 
    Henri, simply adding this to a wish list is not enough.
    Surely something could be done about this???

thank you.

ps and I know this has been mentioned moons ago, 
    the mobile result page looks nothing like the mobile site.[/size]

tel4rent07-22-2011 05:09 AM

Aled!

One of my .tel domain is not being indexed on telpages. I have tried many different combinations / possibilities but no where to be found. Consequently, the local search box in the .tel domain is not returning any results although keywords are there.

Urgent help is needed.

Thank you for your support.

huw07-22-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tel4rent (Post 16359)
    Aled!

One of my .tel domain is not being indexed on telpages. I have tried many different combinations / possibilities but no where to be found. Consequently, the local search box in the .tel domain is not returning any results although keywords are there.

Urgent help is needed.

Thank you for your support.

[size]
    Can you advise on the domain name affected such that we can investigate further[/size]

tel4rent07-22-2011 09:47 AM

Hi there,

Just sent you a PM.

thanks

boracay.tel07-25-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracay.tel (Post 16103)
    this is a very serious "user experience" issue on mobiles. .....
    Surely something could be done about this???

[size]
    Aled, Justin, Henri? Weeks are turning into months on this issue.
    The mobile search results page needs to stay within the relevant .tel.

It's a major bug.
    Please give some feedback.[/size]
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Search Box   Empty Re: Search Box

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 9:18 am

tel4rent07-25-2011 02:01 PM

I totally agree with Boracay. It is a major issue/bug that need to resolve ASAP. Mobile, Mobile Mobile is our strongest point. Please do not let us down....

Keeping faith...

Aled07-25-2011 02:02 PM

boracay,

We are looking to remove this link from the mobile search results page if the .tel owner has specified that the search should only be performed within their .tel. I don't have a date, but it's something we shall try to do with the next release.

boracay.tel07-26-2011 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aled (Post 16406)
    boracay,

We are looking to remove this link from the mobile search results page if the .tel owner has specified that the search should only be performed within their .tel. I don't have a date, but it's something we shall try to do with the next release.

[size]
    Thank you for responding Aled.[/size]

Cedric07-26-2011 02:47 PM

Buttons of share link and IMs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by huw (Post 16361)
    Can you advise on the domain name affected such that we can investigate further.

[size]
    Sorry for my off-the-topic, but just visited Huw's .tel site, and found something curious:

The Skype and MSN button?

Are they just the two "250x250 Right Column image ads" with 2 small Images (but how to link to somewhere else besides http:// ), or a new feature?

Because I see on the Skype-Image, it show "Online" in Chinese Character.

By the way, if it is a new feature, why not put the addthis button at there :) http://www.addthis.com/

http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/6e07055djw1djjflrlngpj.jpg

Regards,[/size]

dottel.net07-26-2011 03:01 PM

they are two small image ads that have the msn and skype urls - the clever thing about it is the status is pulled 'live' and reflected on the tel domain.

tel4rent07-26-2011 09:04 PM

Could be a sneak peek of future features I must say it is cool to have...

tel4rent07-29-2011 08:53 AM

Hi Aled,

Question related to the search box and indexing.

The NOTE contact information is composed of a Description and Value. Could you please let me know which one is indexed and searchable?

Example:
    Description is: Dubai could be hosting the next world cup
    Value: Dubai World Cup

Which one is indexed? Which one is searchable? or both?

Thanks

Aled07-29-2011 09:07 AM

Hi tel4rent,

Currently no contact records (or NAPTRS as they are otherwise known) are indexed. This includes the NOTE field and any fields inserted in the "Contact Information" section of your control panel.

Thanks,
    Aled

tel4rent08-01-2011 03:52 PM

Hi Aled,

I am trying 2 methods for building directory. 

1- Regular method: domain, sub-domain1, sub-domain2, etc...business name (all "Create a link to this folder" are ticked)

2- Advanced method (SEO potential): domain, sub-domain1...(all "Create a link to this folder" are ticked) BUT businessname.domain.tel ( "Create a link to this folder is not ticked)

i have noticed that the system does not indexed the domains of option 2 in 1 day. It takes few days for all categories to be indexed. Actually, it seems that the one that are ticked (create link to this folder) get indexed before the ones without the link.

As you know, we keep on adding the businesses as we get the listing. And the search box does not find the business the next day unless it is ticketed. 

All i need is a confirmation on the above and if possibly (please) a good indication on how long it takes to indexed directory for 1 and 2.

Many thanks

Aled08-03-2011 09:46 AM

Hi,

With regards to your second method. I assume that you are creating a link from somewhere to businessname.domain.tel, otherwise it will never be indexed by Telpages as it will not be found.

With regards to any difference, there is no difference in how Telpages sees the link, whether it is created at the point the folder is created or at a later date. It is from the time that the link to the folder exists that it will be available to Telpages to index. Generally this will take approximately a day, but at times there could be a large number of new content to be indexed (as happened last week), at which time it can take longer. I'm afraid we can't give exact timings as it varies depending on the volume to be indexed.

boracay.tel08-18-2011 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aled (Post 16406)
    boracay,

[size]
    Aled or Justin, so the next release of mobile template has arrived, the search box has slightly moved.

Can you please comment about the mobile search results serious issue that still exists.
    Thank you[/size]

Justin Hayward08-18-2011 07:43 AM

I will check with the engineering team and if I have any update on this 'requested feature' I will of course let you know

tel4rent08-18-2011 08:01 AM

I tried it few times and the results showing on the mobile are still displayed on the old templates. In other words:

- Unformated blank page with blue hyper links;
    - Even if we have specified search only this domain, the page is not domain specific...
    - Format and colors of the initial template are not kept after search is executed

Also could you please confirm the following bug is fixed:

- Blackberry torch not displaying properly .tel template;

Many thanks

Justin Hayward08-18-2011 09:00 AM

All

So whilst it appears that a search is rendered 'on' your .tel page, this is in fact a function of Telpages and the various formats this appears in. At present, there is no smartphone version of Telpages, so either results are rendered back in desktop or mobile format, whilst keeping the same look and feel that you have on your desktop and rendering the mobile results in basic mobile format. When Telpages is next updated, we will look to provide a smartphone version, which will likely include this template to deliver results back in the smartphone look and feel. So this wasn't included within the updating of the .tel proxy as it is related to Telpages functionality.

tel4rent - please send us a screenshot if the BlackBerry Torch is not displaying the .tel smartphone proxy outside of the above topic; we tested yesterday and it is resolving fine for us.

boracay.tel08-18-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Hayward (Post 16851)
    When Telpages is next updated, we will look to provide a smartphone version, which will likely include this template to deliver results back in the smartphone look and feel.

[size]
    Thank you for clarifying the look n feel point.
    So, you are saying that "search this .tel ONLY" issue on mobiles will be fixed with a new mobile telpages. Ok. The bigger question is when. The search feature is fantastic on the desktop. Because it works as intended. It does not however work on mobiles.

Justin, example...
    If Somebody searches for "resorts" on boracay.tel, you will get many results which is fair enough, but then TRY REFINING THE SEARCH via the search box on the results page and instead of an expected 1 or 2 probable results you will now get results from thousands and thousands and thousands (trying to make this point, well, in chinese, maybe russion) of other .tel resorts directories.

It's not good. It's been around for a long long long time.
    I guess we just wait. 
    .[/size]

boracay.tel12-13-2011 04:45 AM

search box. mobile. singular "search this .tel"

I have been asked by all parties concerned with the boracay.tel project, to get clarification from telnic regarding the current situation with the mobile search box.

1. will there be an option to return the search box to the ORIGINAL bottom position? 
    OR is this a FINAL move with no options whatsoever.

2. any news or pending update coming for "Results page should not allow user to navigate outside the specific .tel (if that option is selected)" ?

thank you.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)12-13-2011 06:04 AM

This goes back to the old problem of Telnic doing whatever they want WITHOUT consulting us, THE community. I doubt there is a peer group that Telnic uses to pass ideas to. We should be the consultants, we need to be listened to. 

As simple as the are, changes like this need options. You can't just change things that work one way and tomorrow decide that no matter what anybody says or cares, we'll just implement something different. Soap can support options if Telnic is hesitant in changing the CTH to implement changes.

I don't understand why you folks at Telnic just doesn't get it! 

Mark

Simon G12-13-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

1. will there be an option to return the search box to the ORIGINAL bottom position? 
    OR is this a FINAL move with no options whatsoever.

2. any news or pending update coming for "Results page should not allow user to navigate outside the specific .tel (if that option is selected)" ?

[size]
    Would be interested to know this also. Seems pretty pointless changing things bit by bit without going the whole hog. 
    Its great that one can search in a .tel but not so if you want to refine the search a second time which then includes every result in telpages.[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-07, 2:11 am