The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Privacy protection question

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Privacy protection question Empty Privacy protection question

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 12:22 pm

kruwreka06-20-2009 11:34 AM

Privacy protection question

What is the policy with regard to privacy protection on .tel domains? 

I have two domains registered at Name that I was able to enable privacy protection on, and several domains that I have not been able to enable the PP on.

nadya06-20-2009 01:02 PM

I expect you are talking about WHOIS privacy, that is, information on who owns which domain. Please refer to our WHOIS policy for detailed information, http://telnic.org/downloads/Whois_Policy.pdf

dottel06-22-2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nadya (Post 236)
    I expect you are talking about WHOIS privacy, that is, information on who owns which domain. Please refer to our WHOIS policy for detailed information, http://telnic.org/downloads/Whois_Policy.pdf

[size]
    I guess one should be able to enable the private whois just as a normal .com or other extensions. This way, we can keep the correct contact details as they are hidden to general view but not to the registrar.

Otherwise, people like me would not be interested to showoff the contact details and may put all the junk in whois contact field:)[/size]

nadya06-22-2009 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel (Post 244)
    I guess one should be able to enable the private whois just as a normal .com or other extensions. This way, we can keep the correct contact details as they are hidden to general view but not to the registrar.

Otherwise, people like me would not be interested to showoff the contact details and may put all the junk in whois contact field:)

[size]
    Privacy of WHOIS data is a feature provided to you by your registrar. As a natual person, you should be able to hide your registrant details if you so wish. However, please remember that the purpose of .tel domains is to publish contact information. 

It's also important that if you publish junk information in registrant details, you won't be able to enable TelFriends for your domains because TelFriends verifies domain ownership and association with TelFriends accounts by sending an email to the registrant address.[/size]

dnsRegistrar.tel06-22-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nadya (Post 246)
    you won't be able to enable TelFriends for your domains because TelFriends verifies domain ownership and association with TelFriends accounts by sending an email to the registrant address.

[size]
    big problem. contact privacy is offered as a free option (sometimes too easily with some registrars shopping carts) and "poof" there goes the telfriends concept[/size]

Howard06-22-2009 04:04 PM

Even with privacy set up by the registrar, valid emails sent to the privacy address should still be forwarded to the domain owner. If this actually happens there isn't an issue with TelFriends as the owner will get the mail in the end.

There's only an issue if you put a completely false email address from which you cannot see the mail.

dottel06-23-2009 11:37 PM

Quote:

Privacy of WHOIS data is a feature provided to you by your registrar. As a natual person, you should be able to hide your registrant details if you so wish.

[size]
    Agreed. The feature may be from registrar. My reference was towards why the registrar have a problem with enabling the private who is to .tel domains?

I have bunch of domains that have enabled this whois protection enabled and I do get the emails from people in regards to sales enquiry or similar sort via the domainproxy email id. That is the default process.

Actually, when I try to enable the whois privacy option for .tel I get a message as "Not available for this extension" or something similar to that.

Quote:
    [/size]

However, please remember that the purpose of .tel domains is to publish contact information.

[size]
    Agreed. 
    .Tel is for communication but with an option to protect the privacy too?

Quote:
    [/size]

It's also important that if you publish junk information in registrant details, you won't be able to enable TelFriends for your domains because TelFriends verifies domain ownership and association with TelFriends accounts by sending an email to the registrant address.

[size]
    Yes its important to have correct email address otherwise the registrar cant contact and other important communication may be lost.

I guess TelFriends verifies domain ownership via email address, so I guess that wont be a problem.[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-06, 10:13 am