The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Roadmap Updated

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Roadmap Updated Empty Roadmap Updated

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 1:23 pm

Aled09-21-2010 05:18 PM

Roadmap Updated

I know many of you will be interested to see that we've just updated the Roadmap on the website - http://telnic.org/tools-roadmap.html. Lots to look forward to as always!

mikeseaton09-21-2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aled (Post 10986)
    I know many of you will be interested to see that we've just updated the Roadmap on the website - http://telnic.org/tools-roadmap.html. Lots to look forward to as always!

[size]
    Thanks for the update Aled - a few comments:

Quote:
    [/size]

Control panel redesign - More intuitive control panel with easier access to frequently used tasks

[size]
    Please can we have the facility to apply the same settings (eg. add AdSense, change Template style) or add a constant Web/Tel Link (eg. to an Index site) to all or selected domains in one account.

Owning several hundred Dot Tels it is a huge task to do something simple like this - every operation has to be manually repeated for each domain with the current control panel.

Quote:
    [/size]

Customization of .tel pages - Simpler and more diverse template options for your unique .tel feel

[size]
    Very welcome - but as mentioned above there does need to be an easy way to apply the customization to all or selected Dot Tel domains in your account.

Quote:
    [/size]

TelAds and vouchers - Managing advertisements within the control panel

[size]
    Again very welcome, but what would be a significant jump in Dot Tel monetization would be the ability to add affiliate ads like those from Commission Junction http://www.cj.com etc.

I hope this feedback is useful.

Mike Seaton[/size]

marimax09-21-2010 06:13 PM

Being able to add ads and seeing statistics without going to a third party website should be number one priority

telrific09-21-2010 06:25 PM

Looks like Telnic, .TEL, and TelPages is getting the "Second Wind" we've been waiting on !

Great job Telnic, Great Newsletter for September 2010 !

russellharper09-21-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marimax (Post 10988)
    Being able to add ads and seeing statistics without going to a third party website should be number one priority

[size]
    I think I'm with the majority here. It felt like the wind had been taken out of Telnic's sails a bit this year. Telpages was finally launched and then there was the anti-climax that nothing seemed to happen.

With Ian Bowen-Morris now onboard, news of work in China and proposed functions being added to the control panel, I actually feel more confident now that my investment and faith in .tel will be rewarded.

I'm not a programmer so the news of TelAds is music to my ears. I now have more of an incentive to start working on my directories again....

Telpages. Still needs some work but it starting to shape up quite nicely. Telnic, any chance of phone numbers being displayed in the sub-text so you don't have to open the link to find the main contact number? It just feels a bit like Google in the sense that you have to open the relevant website to find contact details. I know this can't be done for all businesses but I'm sure a maximum of 3 phone numbers is pretty standard and could be shown in the listings?

Looking forward to seeing how the next 6-12 months pans out.....

Keep up the good work![/size]

telrific09-22-2010 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russellharper (Post 10992)
    Telpages. Still needs some work but it starting to shape up quite nicely. Telnic, any chance of phone numbers being displayed in the sub-text so you don't have to open the link to find the main contact number? It just feels a bit like Google in the sense that you have to open the relevant website to find contact details. I know this can't be done for all businesses but I'm sure a maximum of 3 phone numbers is pretty standard and could be shown in the listings?

[size]
    TelPages.com needs alot of work. Fantastic start, but TelPages should be the best, not the worst in results.

This was a link from the past showing the comparison: Here's the Score

Nothing new since.

:confused:[/size]

russellharper09-22-2010 01:14 AM

Thanks for the link. I'm in total agreement, Telpages needs to assert itself in the market and be number one for quick and reliable access to contact information....

aliencafe09-22-2010 02:03 AM

Wow, excellent reference link- seriously appreciate the graphic. 

The Bing and YP sites look quite interesting. 

I'm sure Telpages will far surpass them all in time.

Especially with the DNS lookup on phones, Superbook and Telpages are extremely fast on the iPhone 4.

hotlogic09-23-2010 10:53 PM

Suggestions for control panel improvements

It's great that you can copy to or move to data from 'folders' (subdomains). What would be really useful is if you could move folders (subdomains) themselves around the hierarchy. This would save alot of admin time.

The Keywords section needs to be more flexibly editable. After an 'Add Keywords' procedure, any of the fields eg. Address, Business Address, Business Information not populated are not subsequently editable - another 'Add Keywords' procedure is required.
    I think this is counterintuitive and opposes the idea of easily managing your own .tel.
    Thanks.
    Ben.

.tel availability checks at: 
    www.hotlogic.co.uk 
    Register your .tel before someone else does.
    It’s your chance to receive a free iPod nano! 
    20% off 1 year registrations
    voucher code: dottel1year

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)09-24-2010 02:04 PM

roadmap and images

Beyond the importance of easier navigation in the CTH (thanks for that) what I don't see on the roadmap is the ability to slightly customize pages by highlighting text (eg bold, italics), allowing for custom logos and inserting images (via tags) as outlined per my prior visual post

Many users agree that the ability to insert images (under size constraint and layout rules) is probably one of the most important enhancements for this TLD. This is crucial to selling .tel to small business. When SMB buys a domain, I believe they need more than an icon per page. Images already appear via Google ads, so they can be controlled in the same manner. There should be no impact on performance as this rendering is done by your browser not Telnic servers. 

Although the original concept of this TLD being a single realtime point of contact, it has to evolve soon to include more visual elements. This little bit of visual control will make a big difference in the look and feel and useability of content.

Mark

mikeseaton09-24-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 11033)
    When SMB buys a domain, I believe they need more than an icon per page. Images already appear via Google ads, so they can be controlled in the same manner. There should be no impact on performance as this rendering is done by your browser not Telnic servers.

[size]
    Mark has hit the nail on the head - it is very important when talking to SMBs about the cost-effectiveness of Dot Tels that we are not faced with replies such as "but it doesn't allow me to show images - how can I promote my business without visuals?"

IMO the small 78x78 icon at the top of the page in not enough to convert SMBs en masse to the Dot Tel concept when there are many other internet-based resources available which are free or low-cost and do allow images.

As Mark correctly says, the performance implication is not an issue if the image is not stored on Telnic's servers.

I personally think the facility to display images in the body of a Dot Tel is far more important to our success than many items currently on the roadmap.

Mike Seaton[/size]

dotteler09-25-2010 01:20 AM

Mark is correct in the sense he has stated and in the larger sense of what .tel can 'frame' versus serve being an option or consideration. I applaud the effort to deliver results fast, but feel this is a decreasing concern with bandwidth what it is today and will become soon enough.

tindaya09-25-2010 09:55 PM

I´m also think that we need more photos. The owner must choose to put them o no

libros
    arte

hotlogic10-28-2010 01:06 PM

Updates

With my experience of sitting down with people to help them populate their .tels, I've made the following observations;

• As the VCard population isn't very reliable, I think the display of 'download VCard' should be an option changeable in the control panel.

• Once a ‘Keywords’ have been created and you subsequently click ‘Edit’, you cannot edit any fields that have not been initially created, even though they are displayed and greyed out in the ‘Edit Keywords’ window. This is confusing and maybe the greyed out titles should not be displayed. Otherwise, they should be editable.

• It's great that you can copy to or move to data from 'folders' (subdomains). What would be really useful is if you could move folders (subdomains) themselves around the hierarchy. This would save alot of admin time.

• The option of different templates in the Design tab is great, but could do with increasing the choices of templates to use.

• The option to include a logo is fine, although some have expressed the idea of being able to upload a logo/image (and more images). Of course it is important that users can upload their logo at present, but the stumbling blocks are:
      Having to ensure a 78x78px size (or else it is distored). 
      Having to upload to a third party.
      The solution discussed so far is to enable upload through the control panel. This would be easier than uploading to a third party.
      Nevertheless, I think that one image/logo is enough for now:-
      Everyone hopes that bandwith will increase significantly in the future, and if it does there should be noticable increases in download speeds, but there will also be more demand on the bandwith. (Watching more stored tv for example!) 
      The great advantage of .tels is that they are slimline. Lets keep it this way for now.

• Icons used in control panel and on .tel pages should be the same. For example, the encircled ‘i’ icon displays Free Text in .tel pages, but is used as the note icon in the control panel.

• If JavaScript is not enabled on a browser, even control panel login is not possible. (I think that every user interface and its capabilities need to be catered for).

[size]
    .tel availability checks at: 
    www.hotlogic.co.uk 
    - one address - no matter how you want to be contacted.
    It’s your chance to receive a free iPod nano! 
    20% off 1 year registrations
    voucher code: dottel1year[/size]

Bunjie10-28-2010 04:56 PM

Telnic stated they want to appeal to more professionals, and while VCard I have noticed has some issues, it doesn't fill in all the data correctly at least on mine I would like to see VResume allowed to be set to one sub domain in replace of VCard.

As professionals have resume's and frequently have them available online, it would be better than a web/pdf link to be able to download as part of a VCard type download, and would push VResume as a preferred choice.

But I think it would be good to offer the ability to have it only show if a person has befriended you through Telfriends to prevent any issues with people who should not have access to it. With a sort of micro time line version you can fill in on the more info like we have with hobby's & interests. Broken up with dotted lines to make it more understandable.

Perhaps if it's possible to add resume to VCard if they are on your friends list, but I don't know if you can expand on it (more boxes e.t.c) because it's supposed to be a locked standard thing?, perhaps Telnic can talk with the creators in order to push out an updated version that's in Telnics favor. (I think Microsoft tried to and they failed).

If theirs an issue with the proxy now knowing what data is important perhaps you can give us flags, to say "This e.t.c should go in VCard". Flagged for VCard, Flagged for ignore in VCard.

The standard VCard appears to be missing:

The ability to add more than one email - It seems to only allow one in the box, yet has a drop down indicating the possibility of more. And - we have no space to add a Digital ID? it appears to be some kind of token that allows you to prove you're who you say you are.

If Digital ID is what I think it is, then it might be a nice add on for Telnic to be a Digital ID provider and like we have with Twitter Verified Accounts we can link that back to Digital IDs, and if you get one through Telnic you get a nice badge on your .tel. Verifying you are who you say you are http://s.twimg.com/a/1288217225/imag...d/verified.png

The ability to add Gender - I'm male and most people know it, but it would be nice to have others know that basic thing as well.

The ability to add Group membership - It would be nice to be able to join "global" .tel groups like we have in the Telnic forums and have them show up when downloaded on the Vcard.

The purpose of which would be expanded on later perhaps for networking purposes, it's always nice to belong to a "group" or show your affiliations like "Aled"'s would show hes in the "Telnic Team" group e.t.c or "Telnic Administrators" e.t.c.

We really need the ability to share link, the 3rd link that should be under VCard or Print so that people will share data with other services. .tel is about communications and so far it does not allow the basic click to share like all other sites have, I think this should be on the list because while SEO is great, word of mouth via re tweets or posting to Facebook brings massive amounts of traffic and is one of the main preferred ways to get traffic these days.

And Username is almost useless, we need the ability to add web links like with GOTO masking that's hidden behind the Username, so we can link to profiles and not waste space. 

Because right now if we have a Username in a service we're having to have a Username link with no link to click and then a web link to the profile on that service, which means its 2x space wastage when we could only have one Username with a click link.

Also I need to look up the ability to use the API with Username, so I can insert modifications to Usernames as in (Online, Offline) which communicates which account I'm currently using and which they should instant message me on. If it's not added please add it to the API.

And what about IRC Links? - also Telnic should run a developer IRC

And you'll be stuck with me for 10 years or more soon if I decide to pay up in advance, which is looking more and more that way every day :p

marimax10-28-2010 11:29 PM

I don't even know what Vcard is.

Cees10-29-2010 07:14 AM

Well that's one hell of a vote of confidence! Look forward to your input for the next 10 years Bunjie.

Current date/time is 2024-05-16, 10:02 pm