The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Affiliate / Shortener

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Affiliate / Shortener Empty Affiliate / Shortener

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 2:58 pm

tel4rent03-02-2012 10:27 AM

Affiliate / Shortener

Hi All,

Need an advice.

Adding affiliate link to your .tel domain, what is best for SEO, indexing etc...

1- Add the affiliate link as is
    2- Use a shortener such as goo.gl, bit.ly or etc...
    3- Use your own domain .com, .net, .info as shortener. Example: mydomain.tel is the Tel domain and mydomain.info is used as a shortener domain. Some shortener apps allow you to use your own domain.

Thanks for your feedback

dialaroom03-02-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tel4rent (Post 20625)
    Hi All,

Need an advice.

Adding affiliate link to your .tel domain, what is best for SEO, indexing etc...

3- Use your own domain .com, .net, .info as shortener. Example: mydomain.tel is the Tel domain and mydomain.info is used as a shortener domain. Some shortener apps allow you to use your own domain.

Thanks for your feedback

[size]
    here's the best answer I've found.

"Matt Cutts,a well-known Google staffer recently answered this question in a video. According to him, URL shortening does not harm an article's Search Engine Optimization till the time the shortener uses a 301 redirect to the original link. 301 redirects are permanent redirects and help give credits to the actual link. Most URL shorteners like bit.ly use 301 redirects. Such redirects help in creating inbound links to the article/site and consequently help in Search Engine Optimization. However some URL shorteners use 302 redirects. They give only temporary link credits to the original article and lay more emphasis on the shortened link. Such URL shorteners are better avoided. So in case you had some worries about using URL shorteners for SEO . . . rest assured, they only add to your link credits. You just have to ensure that they use 301 redirects."[/size]

tel4rent03-02-2012 11:40 AM

Hi dialaroom,

Thank you very much for the below.

Would you know by any chance if goo.gl used a 301 redirect?

thanks

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)03-02-2012 02:18 PM

If you are using a shortener to direct to affiliate sites then I don't think it matters whether it is permanent 301 or temporary 302. What matters is that it looks nice on the page. If you need to include the link goodness then use 301 type. I've written my own shorteners with customizable tags, but they use 302 because I need to be able to adjust the destination periodically to my product pages. For permanent .tel links I use x.co - I think they are 301 even though they allow link changes too.
    Mark

tel4rent03-02-2012 02:47 PM

Thanks Mark!

As mentioned on my previous post, is google shortener a 301 or 302 redirect. 

Is google shortener better crawled by google engine?

dialaroom03-02-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tel4rent (Post 20630)
    Thanks Mark!

As mentioned on my previous post, is google shortener a 301 or 302 redirect. 

Is google shortener better crawled by google engine?

[size]
    goo.gl uses a 301 redirect[/size]

mikeseaton03-02-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tel4rent (Post 20625)
    Adding affiliate link to your .tel domain, what is best for SEO, indexing etc...

[size]
    In order of preference 3) then 2) then 1).

Domains such as .info, which cost just a few dollars a year, are often used for redirection purposes.

You may prefer to pick up a .co at the moment for this purpose - currently on offer at http://manage.Name.com/pricing for just $9.99.

Quote:
    [/size]

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 20629)
    If you are using a shortener to direct to affiliate sites then I don't think it matters whether it is permanent 301 or temporary 302.

[size]
    It does if you want to keep your newly-acquired eBay Affiliate status Mark !

eBay's EPN Affiliate program requires you to use a Permanent 301 redirect, NOT a Temporary 302 redirect.

Further info and advice re the eBay Affiliate program can be found here

Mike Seaton[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)03-02-2012 05:27 PM

@mike great advice. I am not using shorteners for eBay but am for Zazzle tweets. I picked up eby.me for a future eBay affiliate shortener so will certainly use 301 for that. 
    Thx
    Mark

tel4rent03-02-2012 08:11 PM

Mike and mark and DialaRoom...many thanks for your advise.

If i buy a domain for the sole purpose of shortener, any suggestions on how to go about it? any recommended services? does it mean it is a 301 redirects?

Another question out of the context

Adsense is phasing out its Domain parking feature. Any service you could recommend?

Many thanks

mikeseaton03-03-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tel4rent (Post 20640)
    If i buy a domain for the sole purpose of shortener, any suggestions on how to go about it? any recommended services? does it mean it is a 301 redirects?

[size]
    You could spend ages trying to come up with a good unregistered .com or maybe a few minutes to come up with a decent .co or .info to register.

Any major registrar should be OK to use, but you will have to buy hosting (and learn a bit of programming to do 301 or 302 redirects) to handle the redirection of individual affiliate links.

Some domain registrars offer a control panel redirect service (and may allow a choice of 301 or 302) but this is just for the domain name as a whole rather than individual pages - I don't know of any that allow you to specify different redirections for individual pages, though there may be a registrar somewhere who offers this.

Quote:
    [/size]

Originally Posted by tel4rent (Post 20640)
    Adsense is phasing out its Domain parking feature. Any service you could recommend?

[size]
    I develop most of my "non .tel" domain names but do sometimes park them.

I use Sedo for this - here are a couple of examples of my parked Sedo domains - HotDatesOnline.com and BetNova.com

If you set a Buy Now (i.e. fixed rather than make offer) price you can get the domain name offered via some registrar outlets using the Sedo MLS service - it costs more in Sedo commission but gets your domain name displayed automatically as an alternative when people search for a name at a registrar but find it taken.

Mike Seaton[/size]

tel4rent03-03-2012 01:37 AM

Thanks Mike! 

Will do some research on what you mentioned.

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 3:48 pm