The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Trademark Question

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Trademark Question Empty Trademark Question

Post by Telnic 2015-01-03, 5:36 am

teltheworld12-09-2010 07:10 PM

Trademark Question

When performing a 'Trademark Check' is it normally good enough to search 'Words' for an 'exact match' or do you need to check a 'string' as well.

I would be interested to know the method of choice for checking the Trademark of a .tel

If a .tel is only one word (not counting the .tel extension) would I be correct in thinking that the 'Word exact match' method would be good enough for most practical purposes.

(search) For Word

(Search Type) Exact

(Text) Insert text

dialaroom12-09-2010 07:44 PM

Exact word match is not enough. 

The main criterion here is whether the name of the product is confusingly similar to the trademark. If they are, then potential buyers might accidentally buy the wrong product, and that is exactly the kind of situation that trademark law was designed to prevent. 

However similarity in itself is not sufficient, the trademark holder must prove that there is a chance of confusion. There is a lot written about it. It's very complicated and can be very expensive if you get it wrong, especially if it is proven that you are trying to gain from the trademarked name or similarity, or benefit by selling on the name to the company.

I'm sure other forum members will have opinions and experiences, as I have.

I for one think if a domain name is trademarked it should not be available for general sale. It usually ends up with bad feeling and you losing your fees.

teltheworld12-09-2010 08:00 PM

Hi dialaroom

You are certainly right on that one, the whole things a bit of a mine field and totally agree with you that trademarked names should NOT be available for sale.

If it's ok to buy something it should be sold with all the rights to use it or sell it on, or not be on sale at all.

Whatever happens the TLD provider appears to be in the clear no matter what happens.

dialaroom12-09-2010 08:06 PM

At the moment it is down to the unsuspecting domain name buyer, with no re-course if the domain is unusable.

Current date/time is 2024-05-02, 6:54 am