The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Search this tel

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Search this tel Empty Search this tel

Post by Telnic 2015-01-03, 6:01 am

dialaroom03-23-2011 10:12 PM

Search this tel

Aled - Am working on a new .tel heavily emphasising the search this tel facility. What exactly does the internal search, index please?

tel4rent03-23-2011 10:40 PM

I was about to ask the same question. I am building a directory and counting on the search for only dot tel. So far, i have tried it and got the following results:

1- if you search for a entry already existing, it will display that particular page. For example: the shop name is Two Sparrow Bookstore. If you search for Two Sparrow. The search engine return and display the folder enter Two Sparrow Bookstore.

2- If you search for a folder. it returns not found. Not too sure why?

Questions:

1- If you enter keywords for a particular directory, will the search engine find it?
    2- Does the search engine scans all entries in the directory?

thanks

dialaroom03-24-2011 09:50 AM

Thanks tel4rent. Perhaps Telnic can tell us please, if folder names are indexed, or just their contents.

Aled03-24-2011 10:28 AM

Hello both,

It's simpler really to explain what the search doesn't currently index, which is NAPTRs, or Contact records. So yes, it will index keywords, header text and folder names. The difference, which may be causing confusion, is between folder names and folder labels. Folder names are indexed, but labels, being NAPTRs, are not currently indexed.

tony mayo03-24-2011 11:40 AM

In the case of getting a list of contact records indexed, I got around this by entering contact names in keywords so that each entry would show in a Telpages search. 

This only arises where you might have a list of say plumbers/dentists - or in my case satellite TV installers - rather than giving each one their own folder.

The search works in Telpages and works very well in Google searches also, but it's too laborious and not a long-term solution. 

I also agree it is not the 'perfect' SEO friendly way of building directories, but on the other hand it does work very well from a navigation point of view for smartphone users.

I still feel we are going through an experiminatation stage with .tel directory development and in order to get my local directories out there and showcased I have put this degree of effort in for now.

So the question to Telnic is are there any plans to index NAPTS and contact records?

dialaroom03-24-2011 11:49 AM

please give example of folder names as against folder labels

dottel.net03-24-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dialaroom (Post 13649)
    please give example of folder names as against folder labels

[size]
    See: http://oxfordstreet.tel/
    The folder 'Shopping' has a folder label of 'Browse the Hundreds of Stores situated on Oxford Street'

The label in this case is actually a separate NAPTR record. This was a feature they added a year or so ago so we could have more descriptive and longer folder labels.[/size]

dialaroom03-24-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 13651)
    See: http://oxfordstreet.tel/
    The folder 'Shopping' has a folder label of 'Browse the Hundreds of Stores situated on Oxford Street'

The label in this case is actually a separate NAPTR record. This was a feature they added a year or so ago so we could have more descriptive and longer folder labels.

[size]
    Thanks dottel.[/size]

dialaroom03-24-2011 12:05 PM

Just one last query, how often does the search engine re-index itself?

Blunderer03-24-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dialaroom (Post 13657)
    Just one last query, how often does the search engine re-index itself?

[size]
    and...should you re-submit a site to search engines if there has been substantial change (e.g from one folder at the first submission, up to twenty, fifty, etc. folders, six months later)?[/size]

dottel03-24-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderer (Post 13661)
    and...should you re-submit a site to search engines if there has been substantial change (e.g from one folder at the first submission, up to twenty, fifty, etc. folders, six months later)?

[size]
    Nope
    you don't have to resubmit your site everytime you update your site (no matter how big or small the update).

hope this helps[/size]

Aled03-24-2011 02:50 PM

To respond to a couple of the earlier questions in this thread. We are considering the indexing of NAPTR records. If approved, we'll add to the roadmap on the website.

Telpages (and as a result the site search) is reindexed every day.

dialaroom03-24-2011 04:44 PM

Thanks Aled knowing that folder names are indexed and refreshed every 24 hours is good. To have the title indexed would be great, as folder names cannot contain spaces.

Now that we have analytics, I am trialing a .tel directory with a purely minimum landing page. Just title and search box and instruction to enter town name, with a hidden folder for every town, village and city at root level. You may ask why I'm trying this.

1. It looks fantastic on most mobiles, (almost like an app) and has the benefit of not having to scroll down a list containing 2,000 entries. Or navigate alphabetically or by county then town or village.

2. if a town name is typed in it usually returns that towns open folder. If not then a couple of other results.

3.The main advantage that I can see would be in seo. If you have all the towns etc. as a subfolder of the root domain, the url that google etc. sees is e.g. brighton.plumber.tel or aberaeron.chinesetakeaway.tel and hopefully these should have good serps, being great keywords.

As each folder can have 100 records of plumbers or chinese takeaways for instance I think this could be a useful, fast and efficient directory. And as you can store 3,000 folders, with 100 records in each, it should cope with most countries and services therein. And all for a tenner.

I'll be comparing this to a similar site populated in the conventional navigation way and see which gets better search results. Let me know if I'm missing something here or have completely lost the plot. Mactel (an old forum member) proposed a similar sort of idea about 18 months ago, then disappeared form the forum. So he either has made a fortune with this method or is still waiting for the control panel to resolve.:)

Right now who has chinesetakeaway.tel, I'm feeling hungy.,:D

Blunderer03-24-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel (Post 13662)
    Nope
    you don't have to resubmit your site everytime you update your site (no matter how big or small the update).

hope this helps

[size]
    Thank you for that reassurance.[/size]

Blunderer03-24-2011 05:25 PM

@dialaroom,

What happens if the user doesn't search for the terms you've included?

If you use carpenter, and the search is for carpenters, then there will be a nil result. 

No one will be so pedantic as to reject a display showing carpenter when they were thinking of carpenters but, they might be discouraged if a search for carpenters fails. You're going to have to put in a lot of alternate terms, or is the subject such that there is only a few different terms that can be searched for?

Anyway, top marks for pushing the boundarys

dialaroom03-24-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderer (Post 13670)
    @dialaroom,

What happens if the user doesn't search for the terms you've included?

If you use carpenter, and the search is for carpenters, then there will be a nil result. 

No one will be so pedantic as to reject a display showing carpenter when they were thinking of carpenters but, they might be discouraged if a search for carpenters fails. You're going to have to put in a lot of alternate terms, or is the subject such that there is only a few different terms that can be searched for?

Anyway, top marks for pushing the boundarys

[size]
    Basically people would be typing in their own town village or city, rather than choosing it from a huge scrollable list or navigating to it, be interesting tio see the bounce rate for this one.[/size]

boracay.tel03-24-2011 10:17 PM

I would like an option to NOT have a page indexed whatsoever.

"search just this .tel" is an extremely powerful in-built directory function. BUT, where it loses its shine is when a search ends up jumping to the outside rendererd "telpages" of multiple results. ugly ugly ugly

I would like to make 1 specific page the result, staying within my .tel, and jumping directly to the exact page... (and the easiest way is to simply turn off all other pages that telpages is surely going to include)

that is, i still want all my directory pages as part of my .tel structure, but i don't want them ALL indexed

dialaroom03-24-2011 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracay.tel (Post 13681)
    I would like an option to NOT have a page indexed whatsoever.

"search just this .tel" is an extremely powerful in-built directory function. BUT, where it loses its shine is when a search ends up jumping to the outside rendererd "telpages" of multiple results. ugly ugly ugly

I would like to make 1 specific page the result, staying within my .tel, and jumping directly to the exact page... (and the easiest way is to simply turn off all other pages that telpages is surely going to include)

that is, i still want all my directory pages as part of my .tel structure, but i don't want them ALL indexed

[size]
    How about it Telnic - a do not index option for folders - how easy would that be to add to the roadmap? 
    The more I use .tel the more I see how useful that little search box can be.[/size]

Cees03-25-2011 07:57 AM

[QUOTE=boracay.tel;13681]I would like an option to NOT have a page indexed whatsoever.

I'm not a programmer but this apparently works on blogs, anyone here feel this may work?

Aled03-25-2011 09:28 AM

dialaroom,

I really like your plan, but something you need to be aware of with regards to the search function is that it is only initially aware of the top level .tel. It "finds" any subfolders by travelling through the links to subfolders. So, if the subfolders on your site have no lonks at all to them, then they will not be indexed.

These links don't need to be on the home page, but there must be a way that the engine can crawlk to them from the top level.

Similarly, if you do have a folder which you don't wish to be indexed, then don't link to it (BTW, this doesn't work in reverse, removing a link won't remove a listing, so you need to not link to it from it's creation.)
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Search this tel Empty Re: Search this tel

dialaroom03-25-2011 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aled (Post 13693)
    dialaroom,

I really like your plan, but something you need to be aware of with regards to the search function is that it is only initially aware of the top level .tel. It "finds" any subfolders by travelling through the links to subfolders. So, if the subfolders on your site have no lonks at all to them, then they will not be indexed.

These links don't need to be on the home page, but there must be a way that the engine can crawlk to them from the top level.

Similarly, if you do have a folder which you don't wish to be indexed, then don't link to it (BTW, this doesn't work in reverse, removing a link won't remove a listing, so you need to not link to it from it's creation.)

[size]
    Thanks Aled
    That's why none of the towns show up in search. What if I was to add a few sort of sitemap pages with go to links to the top level subfolders on them, would that work? and would they have to be visible?[/size]

Aled03-25-2011 10:26 AM

Yes, you could add a folder called something like "links" or "directlinks" from the homepage, which could lead to a page (or pages) of subfolder links. It doesn't need to be in a "tree" structure, just that there is a link to each folder that the search can follow to find them.

By visible, do you mean active? If so, then yes.

dialaroom03-25-2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aled (Post 13695)
    Yes, you could add a folder called something like "links" or "directlinks" from the homepage, which could lead to a page (or pages) of subfolder links. It doesn't need to be in a "tree" structure, just that there is a link to each folder that the search can follow to find them.

By visible, do you mean active? If so, then yes.

[size]
    I mean does the links page have to be showing or can it be hidden.[/size]

Aled03-25-2011 11:22 AM

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow, how are you planning to hide it?

dialaroom03-25-2011 11:49 AM

Thanks Aled, I'll try it out. Was sort of hoping I wouldn't have to put any links on the home page, but can live with 1

tel4rent03-26-2011 12:39 AM

hi Aled,

Search ONLY my Tel.

We are busy building a complete directory for a town. The response has been so far very positive. And indeed, the search (little box) is a very very powerful tool on smartphone and the web. Few points:

1- To solve the issue of NAPR not index, i am adding a keyword in the text field for each category. For example: dubai.tel, folder food, sub-folder restaurants. No other entries. Search engine wont pick up restaurants because the search engine does not index restaurants ( as a subfolder). Is that correct?

2- Is the directory information / business address etc... under section keyword indexed? Will the search (little box) find it? It could be a great way to categories businesses and shops...

3- When the search box returns a result, it does not display the title but rather a link. Also, if the address is filled, it display the description and business address under the link. What fields or text are displayed?

4- On the blackberry (smart phone) the search box is at the bottom of the directory. If you have 25 folders, you almost ignore the search box. Can it be displayed on the top?

5- On the blackberry, TELPAGES link is not disable even if the setup at the dottel is disable. Therefore it directs the user to other pages. Also a search by type or location is enable. Can we do something about it? 

Thanks a lot for your support. 

regards

tony mayo03-26-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tel4rent (Post 13722)
    hi Aled,
    4- On the blackberry (smart phone) the search box is at the bottom of the directory. If you have 25 folders, you almost ignore the search box. Can it be displayed on the top?
    regards

[size]
    Also applies to iPhone. Excellent suggestion.[/size]

dialaroom03-26-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony mayo (Post 13728)
    Also applies to iPhone. Excellent suggestion.

[size]
    HTC HD2 shows search at top - really useful position.http://dialaroomdottel.co.uk/images/htchd2.pngMost of the others I emulated show search at bottom, not so useful.

By the way http://www.mobilephoneemulator.com/ is a really good free online emulator.[/size]

Blunderer03-26-2011 09:27 PM

Is that the mobile proxy?

dialaroom03-26-2011 09:30 PM

That's it emulatored on the htc hd2 if you go to http://www.mobilephoneemulator.com/ you'll be able to see 7 different types of phones each on behaves differently

Blunderer03-26-2011 09:57 PM

Hmmmmm

Must be missing something here. All I can see is your existing mobile proxy - no search box at the top.

Aled03-27-2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderer (Post 13738)
    Is that the mobile proxy?

[size]
    no, the screenshot shown is the desktop proxy. The proxy has not identified the emulator as a smartphone in this instance. If someone has this actual handset, can you please confirm if it's the desktop or smartphone proxy shown?[/size]

dialaroom03-27-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aled (Post 13745)
    no, the screenshot shown is the desktop proxy. The proxy has not identified the emulator as a smartphone in this instance. If someone has this actual handset, can you please confirm if it's the desktop or smartphone proxy shown?

[size]
    Aled - for those of us who do not have access to all kinds of mobile phones, which I'm sure you have tested on, looking at the pics on telnic.org - are there any images you could add to resources, or is there a site which accurately emulates .tels on mobiles.

It would really help when deciding where and what to put on our pages.

Many Thanks[/size]

Aled03-27-2011 09:36 AM

dialaroom,

It's not going to vary by device, there's just three options:

desktop - and how it appears here depends on the template the owner has selected
    smartphone browser - this is what is shown on the iphone/blackberry etc
    mobile - for mobile devices which do not have the capabilities/screen size of a smartphone. This uses the "old" mobile proxy which is what used to be shown on all mobile devices before the smartphone version was released.

dialaroom03-27-2011 09:51 AM

Thanks for clearing that up for me Aled. Are the emulator screen caps below accurate?
    http://dialaroomdottel.co.uk/images/ip.png http://dialaroomdottel.co.uk/images/bb.png

Sorry to be a pain but if they're not, it would help me to know.

Cees03-27-2011 10:45 AM

Steve,
    This is a screen shot on my iphone
    https://files.me.com/cees/bsejxg

dialaroom03-27-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cees (Post 13749)
    Steve,
    This is a screen shot on my iphone
    https://files.me.com/cees/bsejxg

[size]
    Thanks Cees that's really kind, would you mind if I made use of this image sometime?[/size]

Cees03-27-2011 12:46 PM

Standard fee's apply:)
    Use as often where and when you please.

tel4rent03-27-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

hi Aled,

Search ONLY my Tel.

We are busy building a complete directory for a town. The response has been so far very positive. And indeed, the search (little box) is a very very powerful tool on smartphone and the web. Few points:

1- To solve the issue of NAPR not index, i am adding a keyword in the text field for each category. For example: dubai.tel, folder food, sub-folder restaurants. No other entries. Search engine wont pick up restaurants because the search engine does not index restaurants ( as a subfolder). Is that correct?

2- Is the directory information / business address etc... under section keyword indexed? Will the search (little box) find it? It could be a great way to categories businesses and shops...

3- When the search box returns a result, it does not display the title but rather a link. Also, if the address is filled, it display the description and business address under the link. What fields or text are displayed?

5- On the blackberry, TELPAGES link is not disable even if the setup at the dottel is disable. Therefore it directs the user to other pages. Also a search by type or location is enable. Can we do something about it? 

Thanks a lot for your support. 

regards

[size]
    Hi Aled,

Not to sure you had the chance to read the above. Appreciate your feedback.

Many thanks,[/size]

Blunderer03-27-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dialaroom (Post 13750)
    Thanks Cees that's really kind, would you mind if I made use of this image sometime?

[size]
    Steve, didn't mean to set the Hare's running. For info, the display on an HTC Desire is, as Cees screenshot. I havn't found anything that gives a display like the picture you posted - search box at top left, and I can only get the emulator you named to show a web proxy for the HTC HD2, whilst all the other model options given display the mobile proxy!

Regards,

Roy[/size]
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Aled03-28-2011 09:26 AM

Hello tel4rent,

To answer your questions in turn:

1 - are these the actual foder names? i.e. is there a food.dubai.tel as I can't locate it? If there is no link path to the sub folder from the top folder then no, it won't be indexed

2 - Yes, all Keywords are indexed

3 - It can vary on what fields have been populated. I'd recommend experimenting until you find the best combination for what you are trying to achieve

4 - This is somthing that has been suggested previously and is under consideration. It's positioning would need to be user selected, with the default being as it currently is because for non-directory .tels having it at the bottom is generally the preferred placement so it doesn't push contact items out of sight

5 - If you are seeing the smartphone proxy, which I assume you are if the search box is at the bottom, then it should also reflect the search preference you have selected. e.g. I just checked oxfordstreet.tel on my smartphone and that only gives the option to search inside that .tel, which is different to the options shown on aled.tel where I also allow a Telpages search.

tel4rent03-29-2011 01:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Aled (Post 13770)
    Hello tel4rent,

To answer your questions in turn:

1 - are these the actual foder names? i.e. is there a food.dubai.tel as I can't locate it? If there is no link path to the sub folder from the top folder then no, it won't be indexed

Yes they are actual folder. Under accommodation, i have sub folders hotels, guest house, self-catering but the search engine does not find these sub-folders. Are sub folders indexed if their contents are empty.

2 - Yes, all Keywords are indexed

3 - It can vary on what fields have been populated. I'd recommend experimenting until you find the best combination for what you are trying to achieve

Please see the attachments.

4 - This is somthing that has been suggested previously and is under consideration. It's positioning would need to be user selected, with the default being as it currently is because for non-directory .tels having it at the bottom is generally the preferred placement so it doesn't push contact items out of sight

Is that on the road map? any time frame on it?

5 - If you are seeing the smartphone proxy, which I assume you are if the search box is at the bottom, then it should also reflect the search preference you have selected. e.g. I just checked oxfordstreet.tel on my smartphone and that only gives the option to search inside that .tel, which is different to the options shown on aled.tel where I also allow a Telpages search.

[size]
    The search preference on my dottel is to search only my .tel. When i execute a search on my blackberry curve, the page returns the results as per docs attached and also at the top "TELPAGES" that links to search all .tel. In addition to that, at the bottom, you have the option to search by type or location. Please advise.[/size]

Aled03-29-2011 07:53 AM

1 - as mentioned earlier, there must be a link path to subfolders from the top folder or they will not be indexed. there are no links on dubai.tel, so nothing below wil be indexed

3 - I see what you mean with the title. I'll need to take a look into this

4 - No, it's under consideration for adding to the roadmap, rather than being on the roadmap

5 - What options do you get for oxfordstreet.tel on the curve?

tel4rent03-29-2011 11:32 PM

Hi Aled,

I tried oxfordstreet.tel on BB curve and can confirm that:
    - The search box is at the bottom.
    - TELPAGES shows at the top of the search results and links to TELPAGES;
    - Search by type or location showing at the bottom;
    - Titles on oxfordstreet.tel are correct but not on my .tel.

Please check sedgefield.tel

Thanks for the help.

Aled03-30-2011 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tel4rent (Post 13798)
    Hi Aled,

I tried oxfordstreet.tel on BB curve and can confirm that:
    - The search box is at the bottom.
    - TELPAGES shows at the top of the search results and links to TELPAGES;
    - Search by type or location showing at the bottom;
    - Titles on oxfordstreet.tel are correct but not on my .tel.

Please check sedgefield.tel

Thanks for the help.

[size]
    I'm sorry, I previously misunderstood your question. I see now that you are referring to the search results page on the mobile proxy (thought you were speaking about the search box which is displayed.

Yes, if there are multiple search results, then the results page does have a link to TelPages. I have noted your suggestions and shall discuss these with the team.[/size]

Aled04-08-2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

[size]
    tel4rent - this issue should now have been resolved. The title, if populated should always now be used. I have tested the specific case you raised this for and it works there now. Please let me know if you see any repeat instances.[/size]

tel4rent04-08-2011 07:55 PM

Hi Aled,

Thanks for the quick fix. I can confirm that it is solved.

regards

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-13, 8:25 am