The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

.tel email

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

.tel email         Empty .tel email

Post by Telnic 2015-01-03, 6:50 am

ynp07-26-2011 10:10 PM

.tel email

Does any one know if it is possible or have you had success with sending email from a .tel email address? 

I am able to forward email to a .tel email address but I have not been able to send an email from a .tel email address?

Thank you.

Steve

406i.tel

dottel.net07-26-2011 10:52 PM

yes you can. i've used gmail and hotmail

details here:
    http://www.telnic.org/community-tips.html (tip 6)

ynp07-27-2011 08:33 PM

Thanks dottel.net ... more people using emails with .tel extensions might help things move along here.

unlocktel07-28-2011 09:36 AM

no wonder most just have yahoo and google,hotmail to much messing about.

boracay.tel07-28-2011 12:15 PM

Agree.major hurdle. Just ridiculous dialog everytime the email "missing" topic is brought up.
    Seriously, if I buy the "worlds easiest personal contact solution" and it doesnt come with email??? What the?

I understand why it's probably not bundled re storage etc etc, but seriously.
    Do a deal. Make the technical hurdle disappear.
    Silly situation.

Aled07-28-2011 12:24 PM

Boracay,

All .tel registrars have the commands required to bundle email with a .tel available to them and are welcome to do so. Most, if not all also offer their own email solutions.

boracay.tel07-28-2011 12:51 PM

Aled,
    A personal or first name tel that doesn't come pre-packaged with corresponding email out of the box makes no sense. The reasons why it doesn't, or who actually does offer it, well, it just doesn't matter. I bought a bunch of firstname.tels for friends and family and I can't even give them away. It should be part of the package, even if it never gets used.
    I'm sorry if this opinion upsets, I too have a lot riding on the success of .tel

I hope you can convince people to go the free technical route.

Justin Hayward07-28-2011 12:57 PM

Boracay, you're going after the wrong team here. Telnic is not allowed to provide Registrar services, including email. As Aled has already said, we've provided everything possible for the Registrars to provide this service.

Simon G07-29-2011 10:26 AM

Justin, I believe boracay is raising the issue with the correct team. My reason for this argument is you as a registry have alot more clout with registrars than we as a few members of the public. 
    You mention you have provided everything possible, this can be proven by digitrad whom have provided email from the beginning, but perhaps there is one more thing you could offer. 
    Incentive in the form of leverage (sharing the risk with the registrar)
    is it be possible for telnic to provide a discount on the cost per unit of a .tel to registrars who provide an integrated email system. This would not have to be done for ever - but at least long enough to allow registrars to realise a profit in return for integrating the api into there system. They could then charge and additional fee. 
    Registrars such as domain monster already provide this for other tlds/cctlds so perhaps this discount would give them the extra incentive.

This could work for everyone.
    End users: Has easy access to a memorable email address on the "worlds easiest personal contact solution" rather thanbobbuilder123@yahoo.co.uk
    Registrars: Get a discounted price to allow them to pay for the quicker extra hassle factor and cost of integrating the api to there current system.
    Registry: Takes a marginal loss per unit initially which potentially will be replaced by increase sales, more customers, free pr/advertising (on customers email ie bob@builder.tel). 

If the registrars can make a profit from the extra costs of the email integration and hassle factor then why would they not do it?

Justin Hayward07-29-2011 10:32 AM

Simon, as you point out, many Registrars already do offer .tel-driven email addresses, including digitrad, domain monster and others. Those that wish to offer this do so. There is no risk and no additional difficulty in doing this above and beyond other extensions.

Simon G07-29-2011 01:19 PM

Justin, yes they do offer tel driven email addresses. However it is not a simple process other than digitrad. See below message on domainmonster control panel.
    Quote:

Due to the nature of .tel domains we are limited in the DNS that we can create and are therefore currently unable to offer POP Mailboxes on .tel domains. However, you may still create as many Email Forwarders as you wish. We hope to be able to offer you a POP Mailbox service in due course.

[size]
    If there is no risk or difficulty why is the above message on my domainmonster control panel?
    I have sent an email to Domainmonster to clarify this.

Name and other registrars as Jens correctly commented also provide .tel email function via assigning email servers and even through google apps. This is definately "possible" but is not easy for anyone with little to no technical knowledge or confidence. Which is definately the type of people who would be attracted to a .tel.
    I have marginal technical knowledge and was required to read up on how to set up an email to google apps. Most people will loose interest prior to completing the task.

My point is if telnic could encourage registrars who are willing, to simplify the process then perhaps there would be more people using .tel email or alternatively if a .tel email setup wizard was inplace which willing registrars only had to point to their email hosting. this would be a definate improvement.
    My example of digitrad shows how easy the process can be when compared to the process required by domainmonster or name. With sincerity if you do not believe me please try purchasing a .tel and comparing these services yourself and imagining you have no technical knowledge.

I understand the registry has no obligation to do anything further and does not control the actions of registrars or the end user. However to go above and beyond that which is expected: 
    whether it be streamlining and making processes simpler, 
    continually improving a product 
    or going that extra mile with customer care 
    can make the difference between a good company and a great one. I want .tel to succeed and as such feel telnic should and can be a great company. 
    ///////////////////////////
    Enough of my rant if I can provide further explanation please let me know via pm or email and I'll be happy to explain my thoughts.[/size]

Justin Hayward07-29-2011 02:43 PM

Simon I completely understand. All I am saying is that you can lead a horse to water. We can discuss what you believe we have and haven't done to educate and incentivise our partners to promote and sell .tel effectively but at the end of the day a) we are not able to provide registrar services and b) we cannot force them to change their business practices. Therefore, there is choice in the marketplace and we recommend choosing the registrar that suits you best. Until that situation changes we are a little stuck.

boracay.tel07-29-2011 03:29 PM

the worlds easiest personal contact solution. Just add...

1. In CTH "turn on my email"
    2. on the .tel page itself, "check my email"

.tel personal domain and email is a package. It cannot be split into pieces over here and over there.
    Buy a personal tel and it simply comes complete. It's the same wherever it's purchased.
    That's too bad it's too complicated to gather up, keep on top of this n that.
    Put in the CTH, then access from the .tel homepage.
    Or,.. I guess we are stuck

Justin Hayward07-29-2011 04:21 PM

Very valid idea Boracay. And Registrars are absolutely able to take the CTH and modify it in exactly the way you suggest. As we are not allowed to provide registrar services, this is why we encourage them to take the CTH and modify it it themselves.

Blunderer07-29-2011 05:14 PM

Justin, how much capacity for modifying the CTH do registrars have? For example, could they enable mobile viewable image ad codes to be displayed by providing for them to be pasted in to the CTH (like Adsense codes) by the .tel owner?

Justin Hayward07-29-2011 05:19 PM

Blunderer, if it can't be accommodated in the free centrally-hosted version they can get the code for free and run their own instance like TelChina does, giving them complete freedom over the services they provide.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)07-29-2011 06:18 PM

Wouldnt it be better for Telnic to maintain CTH changes centrally and distribute so we all have the same functionality, instead of leaving it to motivated registrars to create partitions?

Mark

Simon G07-29-2011 07:12 PM

My beliefs do not come into this. I have several registrars I use and am knowledgable enough to be able to find one which works for me. The general public are not and won't shop around for a .tel but rather use a .com with a registrar provided template with possibly a bundled Email as well. Telnic is missing opportunitys whether they want them or not.

It appears the current system is not working at present. While telniclimited cant and does not have to act as a registrar. It appears few registrars have neither motivation or incentive to hack away at cth, while this may not be due to lack of education or incentives on telnics part. It is what is happening.
    Someone has to budge and innovate, the registrars have plenty of tlds to flog (some with better margins) and more gtlds to come which which can be easily upsold with hosting and email without additional work on the registrars part. 
    If they have options set out in front of them that can be actioned at the click
    Of a button then they won't have to be be force to change there business practices the will choose the one which makes the most sense.
    There is a saying that seems to be appropriate here: 
    Build it and they will come

boracay.tel07-30-2011 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Hayward (Post 16493)
    Very valid idea Boracay..... we encourage them to take the CTH and modify it.

[size]
    How about....
    It's like gokarts racing. You know, carts always seem THROTTLED, can't win with a slow cart. Telnic owned track, the free track, has lots of curves and tight bends. the registrars are renting out the karts on telnics track.They don't rent fast karts FOR THIS TRACK. And No other .tel tracks. Trying to be lighthearted and make some sense of this.
    Somebody gotta give.[/size]

RonMunson07-30-2011 08:05 PM

Google apps

Quote:

Originally Posted by ynp (Post 16427)
    Does any one know if it is possible or have you had success with sending email from a .tel email address? 

I am able to forward email to a .tel email address but I have not been able to send an email from a .tel email address?

Thank you.

Steve

406i.tel

[size]
    A company I work for set up Google Apps for free and multiple email accounts. We use it everyday and it isn't any difference than any other email system.

Works excellent.[/size]
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

.tel email         Empty Re: .tel email

Post by Telnic 2015-01-03, 6:50 am

tel4rent07-30-2011 08:58 PM

Same here.

Me and my clients are using my .tel with google apps and no issue at all.

Current date/time is 2024-05-02, 1:41 am