The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

backup/restore when changing registrars

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

backup/restore when changing registrars Empty backup/restore when changing registrars

Post by Telnic 2015-01-03, 7:59 am

boracay.tel04-19-2012 03:30 AM

backup/restore when changing registrars

what if any, FILE SIZE limitation exists when re-importing the "export.xml" file?

Has anybody had difficulty uploading a previously downloaded file from the losing registrar's telhosting system, then into the telhosting system of the gaining registrar? I have a 7.1MB file that will not upload. absolutely nothing has been touched with the file. it was simply downloaded from one system, then upload immediately to the new system. the error is...

"No import data available. Please upload previously exported data before starting this operation."

I wish to add, that uploading a much much smaller file has no problems whatsoever.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-19-2012 03:33 AM

Happened to me already. Backup file was ok but wouldnt restore as was too large. Aled had to do it for me.
    Mark

boracay.tel04-19-2012 03:43 AM

Phew, thats a relief...
    Aled, where can I send the file please.

Aled04-19-2012 08:18 AM

boracay, can you send it to me at awilliams@telnic.org please and we'll upload it to you. We'll also review the current limitations.

boracay.tel04-20-2012 12:33 PM

Thank you Aled.

Could we please know the current limitation of the restore file size? 
    And/or will that be amended in the next few months?

I appreciate you taking the time to upload that huge file for us into our new provider.

Aled04-20-2012 02:39 PM

It's 5MB.
    I don't know if/when this could be increased. It is the most intensive CTH command as I'm sure you can imagine. Increasing the limit could have an impact on system load as a whole. As such we need to investigate the potential impact before any changes are made.

If anyone needs to perform a restore of a larger backup file than this please either send to me, or there is the RestoreDomain SOAP operation.

Geo04-20-2012 07:34 PM

Roughly how many pages and records results in a 5Mb backup file?

Blunderer04-20-2012 08:46 PM

3,000 folders and 30,000 records, I hope :eek:

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-20-2012 08:49 PM

Mine failed at around 1500 folders I think.
    Mark

dottel.net04-20-2012 09:04 PM

if you have loc records in each subdomain, you'll easily hit that limit. to quote, aled "i'd never seen a backup file soo large", last time i did that

ended up not using the backup/restore feature and instead just used the original source xls file and my script to repopulate.

dottel.net04-20-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderer (Post 22463)
    3,000 folders and 30,000 records, I hope :eek:

[size]
    its not the folder or record count, its the type of record that also matters. the loc record in particular appears to take a larger amount of kb's[/size]

Blunderer04-20-2012 09:22 PM

Of course

To my simple logic, if you can not get twelve bottles in a twelve bottle box, you should not tell people to take them out if they are already in there

dottel.net04-20-2012 09:24 PM

totally agree - when switching registrars it should be as simple as flicking a switch without having to dump & reload. can we get this added to the dev queue to be looked at one day?

dutchstreetdog04-20-2012 11:52 PM

Talking about easy for users.
    This shout bey much easyer to do
    If it was easy i would have change my hosting months ago

boracay.tel04-21-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo (Post 22457)
    Roughly how many pages and records results in a 5Mb backup file?

[size]
    Quick answer here...

I have half filled boracay.tel with sub-domains (1500 folders)
    About 100 of these folders are maxed out with the 100 records.

Bottom line, I'm not using anywhere near the current theoretical maximum records per .tel
    My export.xml file was 7.1mb (turned into approx 10mb when emailing to Aled)

I am very thankful that Aled is offering his time. I do see a problem coming though... I will probably be looking to move again depending on what templates are where. Boracay.tel has only just begun...(ie a LOT more data is coming soon) ...so already know im relying on outside help.[/size]

boracay.tel06-24-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aled (Post 22448)
    It's 5MB.
    As such we need to investigate the potential impact before any changes are made.

If anyone needs to perform a restore of a larger backup file than this please either send to me, or there is the RestoreDomain SOAP operation.

[size]
    I have another large file that needs importing. 
    How do I go about using the "RestoreDomain SOAP operation" please.[/size]

Aled06-25-2012 09:25 AM

The parameters required as well as an example request and response is available at http://dev.telnic.org/api/client-soa...oredomain.html.

boracay.tel08-27-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aled (Post 22412)
    boracay, can you send it to me at awilliams@telnic.org please and we'll upload it to you. We'll also review the current limitations.

[size]
    Hi Aled, I would like to have your help please in uploading another file.
    Do I send it to the same address?[/size]

Aled08-28-2012 09:23 AM

Yes please.

boracay.tel09-06-2012 08:03 AM

Hi Aled, I have sent you an amended boracay.tel data file.
    its 7.4megs. Please let me know when its uploaded so that I may continue on with our boracay.tel project. 

thanks in advance.

Current date/time is 2024-05-07, 5:54 am