The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Mobile phone data costs advans of tel v com etc

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Mobile phone data costs advans of tel v com etc Empty Mobile phone data costs advans of tel v com etc

Post by Telnic 2014-12-30, 12:14 pm

markske08-27-2009 01:53 PM

Mobile phone data costs advans of tel v com etc

Is there any information out there comparing the amount of data a mobile phone user downloads when accessing a .tel site compared to .com site.

I am currently developing a number of .tel directories and if asked by a potential user of the sites I would like to be able to give them a fair answer, just so I can illustrate the lower cost of using .tel

Thanks

Mark

Howard08-27-2009 03:26 PM

markske,

There are a number of variables that have to be taken into account and it is difficult to generalize, so the best thing to do is to talk specifics. Depending on the richness of the content of a .com site, whether it is m. or has a .mobi website and it has been optimized and whether you’re accessing a .tel domain over a mobile browser or through the .tel applications, the amount of data being transmitted will differ. It depends very much on the .com, but as an example for you to use, we've just run a test on Nestle's sites. The results were as follows (and we will document how we achieved these figures after the results):

nestle.com - 447.9 K (Desktop)
    nestle.com - 447.9 K (Mobile) – i.e. doesn’t seem to be optimized for mobiles
    nestle.tel - 54.2K (Desktop)
    nestle.tel - 3.2K (Mobile)
    Nestle.tel – 1.2K (Application on a mobile device such as Superbook on the iPhone or .tel for the Blackberry)
    We've verified these numbers using DIG for the direct commands that the mobile apps will be using. The other data has come from the YSlow plugin for Firefox. If anyone wishes to reproduce please note that you need to include the download of all the components (including images etc) and not just the HTML.

Please remember that this is just an example for a specific .tel, and the more records in a single level of a domain, the more data will be transferred.

Additionally, what is really important is that there are no applications out there for any other generic domain that can parse all of the information stored under that domain extension that can bypass the web browser and call that data back directly over the internet connection. So, comparing downloading .tel domain information against other websites becomes irrelevant when you look at the data transfer taking place over the applications. We do acknowledge however that the free applications are by no means pervasive in the marketplace as yet and additionally there are many devices that don’t yet currently have free applications to support them. Equally, no other domain can ‘dial’ a domain when inputted into a VoIP application like Kiax, voipGATE or digitrad, which again look up the information at no cost. But again, until these applications come to mobile handset devices, this is not something that can be compared. 

If you are using this information with others, please make sure that all of this information is shared. We would also be interested in hearing of other examples with .tel domains that have good population, as part of the user experience is to manage the size of the data being looked up. We recommend not having more than 10 records per page in order to make the download speeds and user experience compelling over the browser and equally through looking at the information on the applications.

Hope this helps,

Howard

dottel08-27-2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard (Post 1164)
    Edited to provide a more complete response

[size]
    Hi Howard,

Can we expect a proper in-depth analysis around this section from Telnic?
    or even if this kind of comparison is done by a statistic analysis company that would be even great :p (hope I am not expecting too much)

thanks[/size]

markske08-28-2009 09:28 AM

Hi Howard

Thank you for the info it's spot on. This is currently my own project so the information will at this stage only be shared with potential advertisers on my sites.

Thanks again

Mark

RonMunson08-28-2009 12:34 PM

Good answer Howard.

Howard08-28-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel (Post 1165)
    Hi Howard,

Can we expect a proper in-depth analysis around this section from Telnic?
    or even if this kind of comparison is done by a statistic analysis company that would be even great :p (hope I am not expecting too much)

thanks

[size]
    That's a good idea dottel. We'll investigate further to see what we can do.[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-01, 8:41 pm