The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

First fully-interactive tel directory.

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

First fully-interactive tel directory. Empty First fully-interactive tel directory.

Post by Telnic 2014-12-31, 5:25 pm

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)07-15-2009 03:15 AM

First fully-interactive tel directory.

www.yorkregion.tel has been created as a model for additional regional directories in my area. Besides being a directory for essential contact information within a specific community, this site continues to promote development efforts to showcase interactive tel domains, encouraging residents to participate through self-entry of content. With the primary focus for a community .tel being rapid access to important, centralized contact info, the secondary purpose of this site is to allow residents to list all kinds of community-related events and notifications like garage sales, free items, club meetings, charity events, news, lost and found, etc. When adding content into various folders, residents date any time-sensitive events, such that out-of-date entries are automatically deleted. The site will soon support a limited number of advertisement units, allowing for monetization of a community directory.

If anyone has the time, I'd appreciate some critical feedback before I introduce this site to my community.

Thanks
    Mark

BTW, this site is constructed using the populate.tel bulk upload tool. This allows me to completely rebuild the site (120 subfolders, 500+ permanent records) with updated content in about 5 minutes. Once in production, the site will no longer need bulk upload.

dottel07-15-2009 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 535)
    www.yorkregion.tel has been created as a model for additional regional directories in my area. Besides being a directory for essential contact information within a specific community, this site continues to promote development efforts to showcase interactive tel domains, encouraging residents to participate through self-entry of content. With the primary focus for a community .tel being rapid access to important, centralized contact info, the secondary purpose of this site is to allow residents to list all kinds of community-related events and notifications like garage sales, free items, club meetings, charity events, news, lost and found, etc. When adding content into various folders, residents date any time-sensitive events, such that out-of-date entries are automatically deleted. The site will soon support a limited number of advertisement units, allowing for monetization of a community directory.

If anyone has the time, I'd appreciate some critical feedback before I introduce this site to my community.

Thanks
    Mark

BTW, this site is constructed using the populate.tel bulk upload tool. This allows me to completely rebuild the site (120 subfolders, 500+ permanent records) with updated content in about 5 minutes. Once in production, the site will no longer need bulk upload.

[size]
    Good to see a stuffed .tel :) 
    Hope it does attract more traffic and rankings.

I have checked your populate tool, you are charging $20 per domain.
    Can you please tell me what is the major advantage in using your service (paid service) over the http://telfeeder.com/ (free services)

Thanks[/size]

Howard07-15-2009 09:32 AM

The site looks great Mark. One element that I was looking for that wasn't there was the weather. It could be a useful section for tourists. You know how us Brits are obsessed by the weather! Adding that could make it into a single resource that people may be likely to visit often.

Something like the dynamic feed in bigcity.tel would be a fantastic addition.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)07-15-2009 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard (Post 544)
    The site looks great Mark. One element that I was looking for that wasn't there was the weather. It could be a useful section for tourists. You know how us Brits are obsessed by the weather! Adding that could make it into a single resource that people may be likely to visit often.

Something like the dynamic feed in bigcity.tel would be a fantastic addition.

[size]
    Weather is there, always has been. But I decided on a direct link to weathernet instead of a live rss feed... http://weather.yorkregion.tel/
    Mark[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)07-15-2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel (Post 543)
    Good to see a stuffed .tel :) 
    Hope it does attract more traffic and rankings.

I have checked your populate tool, you are charging $20 per domain.
    Can you please tell me what is the major advantage in using your service (paid service) over the http://telfeeder.com/ (free services)

Thanks

[size]
    The site is currently free, the $3 to $20 per domain hasn't been activated yet and might never be! The difference is that I use a visual format instead of a spreadsheet. Far easier to edit and manage text, one line per entry IMHO. I find that using CSV is cumbersome, trying to force fields into columns. Even editing under excel is a pain. Perhaps telfeeder has made this easier - haven't tried it since it first appeared.
    Mark[/size]

RonMunson07-15-2009 08:58 PM

My approach to .TEL's is to make them free and hook them to an applicable service as soon as you prossibly can. When you get traffic levels that will be the time to look at making money. I don't really feel the end user should ever have to pay for using your dot tel, otherwise they will find a free .tel that offers the same service.

The faster people develop these things the quicker the usability increases and the faster your domains will grow in value. By Christmas I think we'll see a massive directory of valuable content with these .TEL domain names.

dottel07-16-2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 552)
    The site is currently free, the $3 to $20 per domain hasn't been activated yet and might never be! The difference is that I use a visual format instead of a spreadsheet. Far easier to edit and manage text, one line per entry IMHO. I find that using CSV is cumbersome, trying to force fields into columns. Even editing under excel is a pain. Perhaps telfeeder has made this easier - haven't tried it since it first appeared.
    Mark

[size]
    Thanks for the information.
    I appreciate your work and time on the script. I would recommend you make a video on how exactly a user can upload this (very detail).

Other thing is, when you are not charging fee you should consider removing the text about the price/fee.

Because people like me may just click close seeing the price without even reading because of different reasons (time/lazy/etc)

Cheers[/size]

OnSpec07-16-2009 05:33 PM

Let the customer set the prices...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMunson (Post 563)
    My approach to .TEL's is to make them free and hook them to an applicable service as soon as you prossibly can. When you get traffic levels that will be the time to look at making money. I don't really feel the end user should ever have to pay for using your dot tel, otherwise they will find a free .tel that offers the same service.

The faster people develop these things the quicker the usability increases and the faster your domains will grow in value. By Christmas I think we'll see a massive directory of valuable content with these .TEL domain names.

[size]

Ron,

While I agree that this approach works in many situations I'm going to take a bit of a contrary approach. I'm developing condos.tel whereby I am offering realtors, brokers, agents and companies the ability to purchase display advertising and contact listings at prices that are ultimately set by the customer

My feeling is that users are more serious when they have some skin in the game, even if it's only a small amount. In that respect I'll set a very low "costs less than a cup of coffee a day" price and then let the users decide on what the value of listing with us is.

As traffic increases, more leads are generated, more leads translate into more qualified prospects and those prospects eventually turn into buyers.

We're still fine tuning the pricing mechanisms and will go public as soon as we have the bugs worked out.

Cheers,

Scott[/size]

Shahid07-16-2009 10:28 PM

Hello,

that's a nice post, well personally i feel .tel should be in 2 ways.

1) Currently many softwares that are introduced for people should be free not charged as
    one would rather use a freebie then pay for it.
    2) i think one should build a directory like www.marineparts.tel and get some good companies
    you might think would want to be there mail them and do inform them about being listed there
    incase they have any problem do remove them that way you don't have problems in future, hopefully
    when more end users come there or advertisers they might contact you for a listing there that way 
    they have seen what they will get and further more when your paid advertisers reach good in number
    the remaining can be mailed and given 2-4 weeks time and then just removed incase they don't wish 
    to pay as it would make justice to the people who paid. :) 

Thanks

Shahid

Current date/time is 2024-05-15, 2:49 am