The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

The Big Picture

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

The Big Picture Empty The Big Picture

Post by Telnic 2014-12-31, 6:21 pm

aliencafe08-17-2010 05:58 AM

The Big Picture

Members of the Community/Telnic:

Alot of our posts have been needs, wants, and desires to make changes on the control panel- change the look and feel of the telpage or profile and so on.. 

I think most of these updates and upgrades have ocurred- yes we all have a few minor tweeks that are wanted, but for the most part .tel has the majority of what is needed to make it a viable product.

Now on to my main point: What is it that is going to Launch dottel, Promote dottel, Excite the public to use it, have it on every phone and be used by the masses? 

I'm looking for ideas from everyone on the killer app, the best use of the technology, the killer directory product- what is the best idea?? 

I'm sure any good idea brought to light here, will be moved on- I personally would team up and put forth my effort with a group.

Remember i'm not talking improvements on the existing dottel- im talking about the next "exciting killer app or game or pay.tel" whatever it may be...

Let's hear what you have to say Community!! ???

Best regards, good evening-

Blunderer08-17-2010 02:33 PM

Firstly, thank you for starting this thread.

I do not know about apps - how to make one, how to publish one or make it available, how much it would cost, etc. but I have observed that the "click an icon to reach a source" mentality is what mobile users want these days.

It has occurred to me that if an app was available that linked to a specific .tel then that might make the usage uptake greater; make it "sexier" e.g. my tel site has the facility for users to download an app just to that .tel (a bookmark, in effect but, one that can sit with all the other apps on their phones). On some of my sites I have invited viewers to bookmark the page - it was worth a try!

At this time, an app download facility, inherent to each .tel site, which displayed the site name or logo would, I think, improve the credence and confidence of users (they expect it) and engender greater use of sites that have appropriate content.

Could Telnic provide such a facility?

(and can someone stop this quick reply box timing out before my two little fingers have accomplished their task?)

Bunjie08-17-2010 05:15 PM

Social App that's a cross between 4square and twitter, Telnic specifically tell us they won't support .tel or Telfriends going social, I think that's a big mistake because you basically give out your contact card in real life to "be social" and make contacts, so not pushing that course dramatically impacts on the ability of .tel to go global.

If I was wanting to see an application it would be this, stuff I said before about mobile integration, but building from DNS/rss data pulls.

With the ability to use infrared or what ever blue tooth to friend someone on the go, from phone to phone. Touch Follow Go.

Take a look at your twitter, what is it?

1. A list of who you follow
    2. A list of how many follow you
    3. A list of how many lists your on

[size]

So why not make an application that focuses on pulling RSS as if it was "tweets" that Telnic can allow us to add into our .tel pages as normal RSS that is published in the "code" background but comes from data we post from apps like my.tel or other applications to the none existent Telfriends API.

Because Hay if I had a Telfriends account, I would sure as hell want to tell my friends what I was up too, so adding a simple API to add "tweets" using the login is simple and can be used to publish them to an RSS feed hidden in the background of the corespondent .tel owners page.

Let me try to explain simply

App > Tweet > Telfriends API > RSS Feed on .tel domain

Quote:
    [/size]

[size]
    App > Follow .tel domain user/company - Really following the RSS but you get the DNS data too.

App > Read RSS status updates - Of people you follow as if was twitter stream. - all it needs to do is store and aggregate a list of RSS feeds you want and organize them in a time line.

App > View profiles - of people with .tel domains, themed by the application pulled from DNS.

App > Check in - of companies with .tel domains, themed by the application pulled from DNS like 4 square, leave comments and updates through telfreinds api.

Basically Taking everything and porting it into an application that goes over the top of .tel, all we need is a status update RSS for .tel domains from an API on Telfriends.

That's not too much to ask from Telnic.[/size]

dotteler08-17-2010 06:16 PM

Maybe there should be a distinction between '.tel auth' and '.tel friends'
    I think the networking aspect of a .tel directory begs for layers of options accessible by the type of association: private, friended, auth-in, etc.
    One idea I like is creating this twitter-.tel type integration and allow .tel owners to post a 'coupon' to the friends channel. The content would have to be searchable, which is another wish for tel pages.
    If people adopted their own .tel name to simply access this 'specials' or members only type directory, use it once and cover the cost for a year? I think it might be incentive to own a .tel for both business and 'customer'

aliencafe08-17-2010 07:45 PM

great ideas! keep them coming.

So far it looks like both of you are saying a social app pulling from the DNS...

Blunderer08-19-2010 05:02 PM

For my personal benefit only may I ask was my suggestion, above, a good idea or, was it worthless?

dottel.net08-19-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderer (Post 10659)
    For my personal benefit only may I ask was my suggestion, above, a good idea or, was it worthless?

[size]
    do you mean provide a bookmark me facility directly on the telproxy?
    or a custom my.tel or superbook type iphone app that is customised and configured to only present data from your .tel?

both are do-able, just want to understand which one you mean before commenting further.[/size]

Blunderer08-19-2010 07:13 PM

Hi Dottel, thank's for the response.

I meant a facility on each .tel to download an icon that can sit on peoples phones with all their app icons that, when selected, would connect to the specific .tel that it was downloaded from. If I mention bookmarks to my children I get a grunt in reply but, mention apps and their eyes light up.

If I come across oxfordstreet.tel, and find it useful (which of course it is), I can bookmark it/add it to favourites but, it's my impression that it would be more attractive to people (younger than me), and attract more use, if they could store the link like all of their other apps.

I know that there are apps for .tel as a whole but they still require a further search within them.

This would just be something to make sites that people might use frequently quicker to access. I live near Crediton and having an icon on the home screen of my mobile that I could use to find a business there would be more attractive than rooting about in bookmarks/favourites.

The ability to download and install such an icon/app button, assuming its possible, is something I would expect Telnic to embed in each .tel domain. That really would give local search on .tel an edge.

Am I fantasizing?

Blunderer08-19-2010 08:52 PM

Sorry, I should also have said that ideally the icon that was downloaded would be the logo on the .tel or, if none, the tel logo.

Triton NW08-20-2010 02:55 AM

Guys
    Aren't we getting tired of talking fantasy amongst ourselves. Everybody seems to be acting like it the write about it in a forum that it will magically appear. The TRUTH is that none of us have a clue if this will ever be a valid URL. I think Telnic has done a great job getting things started. It is not their fault if we hit a brick wall and this whole thing dies. I was asked a question last week by a friend that I bragged about my .tel acquisitions to in March 2009. We were at dinner and he enthusiastically said, "Oh! How are you doing with that .tel thing, I kick myself for not getting in. Where is it now?" 

You can imagine my stumbling answer. 

I am not saying it won't be huge, I am just saying that we have a very long road ahead of us.

dottel.net08-20-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderer (Post 10661)
    Hi Dottel, thank's for the response.

I meant a facility on each .tel to download an icon that can sit on peoples phones with all their app icons that, when selected, would connect to the specific .tel that it was downloaded from. If I mention bookmarks to my children I get a grunt in reply but, mention apps and their eyes light up.

If I come across oxfordstreet.tel, and find it useful (which of course it is), I can bookmark it/add it to favourites but, it's my impression that it would be more attractive to people (younger than me), and attract more use, if they could store the link like all of their other apps.

I know that there are apps for .tel as a whole but they still require a further search within them.

This would just be something to make sites that people might use frequently quicker to access. I live near Crediton and having an icon on the home screen of my mobile that I could use to find a business there would be more attractive than rooting about in bookmarks/favourites.

The ability to download and install such an icon/app button, assuming its possible, is something I would expect Telnic to embed in each .tel domain. That really would give local search on .tel an edge.

Am I fantasizing?

[size]
    Unfortunately there is no universal app - if you go that route you need an iphone app, android app, blackberry, etc, etc

An easier approach (albeit not as sexy sounding) is to allow users to save a shortcut (aka bookmark) to their device which when opened would launch your dottel in the their browser.[/size]

boracay.tel08-20-2010 10:26 AM

On an iPad or iPhone, an app icon is easily added to your apps area. That is, the created icon (company logo branded) jumps you directly to the webpage of company it represents. BUT doesn't do logos for a .tel. Ahhh sigh...

But as example, see the screenshots. You just hit the "+" on any webpage you are viewing. I'm not sure how it works but Many many websites get a perfect app icon (their own beautiful full glossy) being added to the apps area. Ahhh sigh, again...anyway

It works like this....
    1. Click the + sign and choose to save to apps area (homepage)
    http://files.me.com/boracay/kdn9au

2. See the pretty icon/logo brand about to be made??? That's what we need for .tel, but oops, see 4.
    http://files.me.com/boracay/wijkjy

3. There it is, sitting nicely on the apps homepage of the iPad
    http://files.me.com/boracay/tql22j

4. No specific icon for .tel generated, just a screen dump instead. 
    http://files.me.com/boracay/6ia6c9

Just sharing by way of showing. I hope that a few of our requests make the next proxy rollout.

dottel.net08-20-2010 10:44 AM

nice post boracay.tel - following on from your post, we found this:

To create your own custom icon for an iphone bookmark:
    Create a PNG format graphic file that's 45x45 pixels in size, name it apple-touch-icon.png and drop it in the root directory of your Web site.

So in theory that's all that would need to be added to the telproxy to enable this feature!! Very cool

dottel.net08-20-2010 10:59 AM

if anyone has an iphone and wants to test this out pls go to:
    http://oxfordstreet.tel.cm and attempt to bookmark

It should use the oxfordstreet icon

Unfortunately we don't have access to an iPhone so are unable to verify if this indeed works.

Blunderer08-20-2010 11:35 AM

What can I say? An excellent response. I will now see what I can do with an HTC Desire (android - like the Google phone). If anyone has a Blackberry maybe they could advise on the procedure, if available.

Maybe Telnic could make life easier for us by creating an optional info area with links to the free apps, and instructions for improving user utility (like the above) already installed - the owner just activates links to superbook, etc. or, activate viewer usage tips/instructions.

Thank you.

boracay.tel08-20-2010 12:01 PM

Here yo go dottel.net... iPad screenshot for starters
    http://files.me.com/boracay/44d03j

I would like to try our boracay.tel site with your extension.
    The wheel sooo slowww ly turns around here. Too long a wait about anything quite frankly.
    having our OWN icon/logo on our demo ipads, (when showing resorts/clients) well,.... that is just too important!!! 

...and we wish to show 1 photo per resort. 
    ...in the ideal photo area of the page (right side... as where currently the telads are drawn). 

No more waiting.
    I'll pm you, with some screenshots.
    Thanks

dottel.net08-20-2010 12:31 PM

thank you. that is very cool!! i'd also be interested in the procedure for blackberry, android, etc...

dottel08-20-2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 10676)
    i'd also be interested in the procedure for blackberry, android, etc...

[size]
    http://www.mollerus.net/tom/blog/201...n_android.html
    http://philwilson.org/blog/2010/01/a...id-home-screen[/size]

Simon G08-20-2010 03:23 PM

On the iphone 3gs using OS3 in cojunction with safari oxfordstreet.tel.cm works well when saving to home screen you get the logo showing up. FYI This page does not view at all when using opera mini

Simon G08-20-2010 03:26 PM

Perhaps There could be a function in superbook to view the image and save this as contact photo on the phones contact page along with the other contact info on the page.
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

The Big Picture Empty Re: The Big Picture

Post by Telnic 2014-12-31, 6:21 pm

Blunderer08-22-2010 04:52 PM

Thank's very much Folks. That will make a really big difference to my marketing strategy. I'm sure there are millions of mobile (and now ipad, etc.) users who don't have the time to figure out what their smart new phones, etc. are capable of - even something as simple as that. It's the end user that counts. I can now demonstrate even faster access to my sites, and show consumers how to achieve it.

If anyone knows the procedure for Blackberry and Windows - if different, please .tel

markske09-22-2010 02:55 PM

This months newsletter Sept has a great feature re the talfen.tel directory for Lebanon, they have developed an app for the Blackberry which does exactly what you suggest it places an App/Icon on your Blackberry and clicking this takes you directly to the talfen.tel site, I downloaded it to my Blackberry last night and it works a treat, would be good if they could show us how to get this app for our own Tel sites, I have sent them an email to see what their response is, will keep you posted.

aliencafe09-22-2010 06:27 PM

I'm in agreement. for example if I had the app button for iPhone for Waikiki.tel directory anyone could download the app and go to the stores shops hotels etc.

Right now most people understand the app store, but have not fully understood .tel yet. This would be a great boost.

I'm sure creating the app and button are very easy, just have not done it yet...

Cheers!

boracay.tel09-24-2010 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aliencafe (Post 11005)
    I'm sure creating the app and button are very easy, just have not done it yet...

Cheers!

[size]
    It's getting easier, but in hobby status for me (at least until the updated mobile proxy is released) Btw, apple is now the 2nd largest company on the planet. That is a lot of users to engage!

Create.iPadApp.tel

PM me if you need help to make it work

https://files.me.com/boracay/mbm93r[/size]

aliencafe09-24-2010 10:09 PM

@boracay

Extremely helpful, I have not used the tool yet but I will for Waikiki.tel and others.

Thanks again!

boracay.tel09-26-2010 11:55 AM

Seems like app usage is already a huge part (50%) of mobile internet traffic. 

http://www.zokem.com/2010/09/applica...ernet-traffic/

We have had a really great response too, since showing our custom app to a few important marketers here on boracay. They get it (the directory idea) much faster when they see the App (ie simply clicking and presto, the directory becomes the full screen of the iPad)
    iPhone app looks great too...(but just don't present past the initial splash screen for now....umm)

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 8:41 pm