The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Different looking templates

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Different looking templates Empty Different looking templates

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 2:54 am

spline09-02-2009 04:26 PM

Different looking templates

As a UIdesigner and Artdirector I think the .tel look really needs to be able to look more sexy if its going to take off with mainstream people. 

Right now it looks kind of boring, stiff and tech geeky the look is very yellowpages.
    But for a private person who wants just to use it as a contactpage it looks to boring.

It does not have to overloaded with graphics or effects just a couple of different templates with different colors/background patterns and fonts to chose from.

Such as a 

A slick black template.
    A pink template.
    A red template.

etc.

The more the better...
    I still think the layout should remain the same though.

telepass09-05-2009 02:35 AM

Welcome to the forum spline

I could not agree enough on your post.

dotteler09-05-2009 06:23 PM

I think templates based on category might be nice:
    a restaurant template
    a bar template
    a hotel template, etc.
    Offering unique links: i.e. menu for bar or restaurant wouldn't be necessary for a car dealership.

A lot of the request for graphics and logos and images sort of blends the ideas of directories or listings into one theory: .tel is more of a 'white pages' than a 'yellow pages'

In most cities I've seen phone directories, the white pages lists basic information, the yellow pages lists more of a display listing which allows just that: display of images, graphics, etc.

Is it a future development that .tel will be more of a 'yellow pages' than a 'white pages'?
    Isn't a traditional web site the internet version of the 'yellow pages' anyway?

telepass09-06-2009 03:18 AM

Let people make it look like they think it should look like. People are not geniuses. When you try to control them too much they just go elsewhere (which is what they do now). All template-based website gadgets have failed when companies tried to launch them in mid 90's it won't be different this year.

Only requirement is to keep the .tel data as it is, always accessible at the same place and in the same way, and keep the focus on this, which is what makes the product special, Having the possibility of branding and adding some content within the current structure is not only possble, but is the only way to make it interesting.

Open your mind. This is NOT rocket science.

Shahid09-06-2009 08:48 AM

Totally Agree with you all, we need more attractiveness in a .tel page if its so called my.tel your.tel or call me on shahid.tel well shahid need to be different from others in many aspect even if the information there is same, i do think allowing people to have a webbased templates that are hosted on the registrar wouldn't be bad.

i am even willing to provide use of www.webtemplates.tel :D incase you want to promote it

dotteler09-06-2009 02:53 PM

I think it would be valuable if someone actually was able to poll Joe Public to see what the real concerns and thoughts were, versus the speculation that is sounded here. The statements made as fact really aren't.

telepass09-06-2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotteler (Post 1310)
    I think it would be valuable if someone actually was able to poll Joe Public to see what the real concerns and thoughts were, versus the speculation that is sounded here. The statements made as fact really aren't.

[size]
    Go on the street and try to sell a dozen listings on a .tel directory, or simply .tels to any established business on your area.[/size]

Shahid09-07-2009 08:19 AM

Good point there Telepass, as i mentioned earlier i did try to mail many people regarding being listed on various of my domains at a price of just 10 US$ / yr none came back haha

dottel09-07-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telepass (Post 1311)
    Go on the street and try to sell a dozen listings on a .tel directory, or simply .tels to any established business on your area.

[size]
    Exactly
    some of the members might not have an idea of the reality.
    Unless they go out and sell the listings they will not know what people expect (the basics).

again no one is asking for graphics, the OP stated for a color scheme which is basically a simple basic code #000000, etc.

having a simple predefined size and format logo does not kill .tel or its uniqueness. The unique feature of .tel is the technology and not it's looks.[/size]

dotteler09-07-2009 02:53 PM

Is it simply 'cart before the horse'.

Do directories have any value if they're unknown?

I personally think directories will come into prominence once the domain is adopted, not before.

The opportunity, IMHO, is selling .tel names. Developing particular names as a directory is secondary.

dottel09-07-2009 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotteler (Post 1319)

[size]
    Very well said.

So you mean that .Tel does not have value unless it reach the final stage (dialing without the need of a third party tool?)[/size]

telepass09-07-2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

[size]
    Zero value, indeed.

Quote:
    [/size]

I personally think directories will come into prominence once the domain is adopted, not before.

[size]
    The domain is only being adopted by domainers and start ups because it lacks the flexibility required by established businsees (e.g. you can't do much with it.. no logo, no branding, no basic content).

Quote:
    [/size]

The opportunity, IMHO, is selling .tel names. Developing particular names as a directory is secondary.

[size]
    You just described a typical MLM scheme. Selling something to another person who can only do one thing with it : Sell it to another person. This works until the majority of owners realize that selling this to another is the only thing they can do with it. Then they drop the ball (they don't renew) and you end up with falling numbers and financial mess.

Selling hype works, but it does not last. The product has to be useful.

Any business can't be profitable until (or unless) it is built on a solid foundation : Real users (not resellers) who purchase the product because it is useful to them.

Real users need flexibility.. Templates would be a (small) improvement but why keeping on trying to control users? Let them do whatever they want with the graphics, logos, brandings and let them add content while keeping the .tel info where it is, so users can still get it in a flash.

Then you will have real users and when you have enough real users you can regroup them in directories, where people will go and find something interesting and useful, then it will build up. 

It just can't work the other way around.[/size]

dotteler09-07-2009 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telepass (Post 1321)
    You just described a typical MLM scheme. Selling something to another person who can only do one thing with it : Sell it to another person.

[size]
    Really? That's what you think selling someone a .tel domain is, a MLM scheme?

You don't see value in: "Call me sometime, you can get me at jerk.tel" versus "Call me sometime, my number is 555-555-5555"

That's the big deal about .tel. That's what it's for. Names versus numbers. Click to connect. Simple.[/size]

telepass09-07-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotteler (Post 1326)
    Really? That's what you think selling someone a .tel domain is, a MLM scheme?

[size]
    From what I see here, as the product is right now*, the only real usage so far is selling the .tel's to other persons, who, in turn can only sell em to another person etc. Show me established businesses who are actively using and promoting it and I may change my mind.

Quote:
    [/size]

You don't see value in: "Call me sometime, you can get me at jerk.tel" versus "Call me sometime, my number is 555-555-5555"

[size]
    In the old days we called that 'vanity numbers'. It's been around for many years

Quote:
    [/size]

That's the big deal about .tel. That's what it's for. Names versus numbers. Click to connect. Simple.

[size]
    How many business owners have you convinced to pay for this?

-------------------------
    * My point here is that there is not enough value in the product today to convince business owners to buy, develop and investing a substantial advertising budget in a .tel listing.[/size]

dotteler09-07-2009 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telepass (Post 1328)
    In the old days we called that 'vanity numbers'. It's been around for many years

[size]
    Well, it's actually the 'new' vanity number, even if it isn't a 'number'.

I'll admit I've sold a miserable few .tel names. However, the platform I'll be reselling hasn't actually been introduced. It is within days of finally being released.
    So, I've had to contend with being patient. I have voiced displeasure in the past that things weren't clipping along as well as I'd like, and made several observations that begged the question 'would .tel succeed'.

If the prospect of total failure were impending I think people would simply walk away. The fact that so many people seem 'up in arms' about their opinions about what's what with dot tel makes me think there's definitely more to it.

There are so many petty comparisons to other domains ( like .mobi ), mostly on namepros, that really just miss the whole point. 

It really is, however, just a frustration that some people still contend that it's acceptance seems reliant on what it looks like versus what it does.[/size]

telepass09-08-2009 01:16 AM

Here's how i see it:

If you want any product to take off, you have to offer value for the money. Or at least, customers have to see a value for their money, even if it is just a perception.

Without the individual customer seeing a real value for his money, you cannot build a commercially viable directory, UNLESS you have a ton a traffic to send them (And admit it, no one here has any substantial traffic to offer yet).

------------------------------

SIMULATION

Right now, you will try to show a restaurant owner a .tel listing (say, La Casa Bonita* casabonita.tel), saying it is valuable to them. 

He says 'what's in if for me?'

You say 'people will be able to remember your phone number more easily, because all they have to remember is casanbonita.tel'.

The owner replies 'yeah but i already have casabonita.com with my phone number in it, why I should register a .tel too?'

You say 'because users can click your phone number and get connected to you'

He says "cool please show it to me?'

You grab your phone, and show him your demo 'nicerestaurant.tel

He looks and says 'can I put my logo there? change colors? put a picture of my restaurant as we just renovated for $30,000 and clients think it's awesome?

You say 'no it's not necessary, and we can't put images there'

He says 'why not? I see images on my phone, why not on your site?'

You say 'because logos and pictures are just cute but not useful'

He says 'really?.. OK if you say it... so when is this thing going to bring me customers?'

You say 'when my directory superrestaurants.tel takes off

He says 'ok show it to me'

You show it to him

He says "Are we on the same page as before? It looks exactly the same"

You say 'No It's my directory'

He says 'How many people are visiting your directory now?'

You say, 'not many now but this will become the reference etc etc'

Then he tells you to come back later when your directory has traffic, tells you the coffee you just had is on the house and that he has another meeting with another person that wishes to sell him advertising.

------------------------

This, my friends, is the everyday reality of a small business.

No value? No sale. That's brutal but that's it.

Around 1995 I was one of the few people who launched a tourist directory on the Web, at this time almost nobody in the city had heard about the Internet. We were trying to sell 'web pages' to restaurants, florists, hotels, museums etc. These are the questions we were getting.. every single day... every single place we were going. We ended up selling hundreds of pages and were eventually hired by the City to build the official tourist directory (which is still online today). But you know what? Every business wanted to have its logo, it's colors and ad text, even if they had no idea of the traffic we were going to send them. But at least we were able to offer them a media channel that looked like their business and they were feeling comfortable with. 

All this just to say that the 'images is just cute' 'images and logos are useless' thinking is just opposite of what any business owner thinks. For all the business owners I met in my life (And i met hundreds of them) I remember none who would have say 'Well I don't need my logo there it' just a graphic and it's useless'

Any one of you who thinks logos and gaphics are useless, including telnic staff, should go out and meet in person with hard working small business owners and tell them their logo and graphics are useless and they don't need to show pictures of their business. 

Let's see what kind of answers you will get.

* This one is for South Park fans

telepass09-08-2009 02:49 AM

OK here's an example of what I think a .tel should look like, for blackberry / smartphone users (those are just ideas, far from perfect, but much more interesting that what we have right now). Of course if user has a crappy phone he should only see the boring version phone numbers etc (no graphics) but why penalize (and annoy!) the people who paid hundreds of dollars for theid BB, iPhone or HTC Touch? They expect more than a boring white page with a .tel logo which they have no idea what it means (and they actually don't care!)

This is just an idea of how an existing business (which is my favourite restaurant www.buonanotte.com) could look like only if people would open their mind and be allowed for creativity with the .tel platform. I think the idea of .tel was brilliant. However the execution of the strategy is many years behind what people are expecting from a mobile media in 2009.

http://www.lerelais.com/1.jpg

1) Background (5k)
    2) Official logo (10k)
    3) Splash picture (15k)
    4) .tel data (comes from dns). click to call numbers etc

http://www.lerelais.com/2.jpg

1) Picture gallery, which can be uploaded and maintained by the .tel owner. He could just take pics with his phone and upload them with the .tel app or a nice 3rd party app which would be developed by .tel community.

2) Navigation (Next picture or home)

----------------

http://www.lerelais.com/3.jpg

Location on the map (from .tel)

Shahid09-08-2009 08:42 AM

Telepass, That a brilliant approach to .tel and trust me if they adopt .tel in similar way .tel will skyrocket.
    as you very well put it, they technology was being reviewed by iccan and waiting for approval back in 2000/01 but now things have change.

EG: before you were happy with a phone that had no antenna ( my first phone Nokia 3210 ) now i have Blackberry Bold and i cant live without it.

speed of internet used to be 56kb -512kb now its 4mb-16mb broadband wireless, so things are changing and so should our mentality gradually, as a saying goes everything that shine is not gold but everything that shines sells

dotteler09-08-2009 04:53 PM

So basically you want .tel to be .mobi?

telepass09-08-2009 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotteler (Post 1350)
    So basically you want .tel to be .mobi?

[size]
    I want it to be useful and popular[/size]
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Different looking templates Empty Re: Different looking templates

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 2:54 am

dotteler09-08-2009 05:36 PM

I try to see the basic .tel pages as what they are, or comparative to a phone book, or white pages. You don't get a listing in the white pages with a picture or logo.. that's more for the yellow pages.

A lot of people seem to think .tel needs to be the yellow pages. They think the entire business model needs to be modified so that they can build pay directories with their registered .tel name.

That's fine, but that's not the strategy of this particular domain. A SIMPLE, single point of contact is the premise here. Not a replacement for your website, but an addition to the site. 

Try to go to sears.com and find out how to call the _______ department in a store near you. What do you have to do to even find the number?

If sears.tel was developed, you'd easily drill down, or click directly to the location you wish to contact, and quickly and easily find the right phone number to call. That's what .tel is for.

The argument that the pitch of .tel is 'you can click to connect' and the first response is 'where's my logo go' is really missing the point of how to sell this.

telepass09-08-2009 06:04 PM

alright. 

give me a proof that the 'no template / no graphics / no logo approach' is a staggering financial success somewhere on Earth and I'll shut up.

dotteler09-08-2009 06:50 PM

Given time it certainly will work. Your limited success is no indictment. I have not stated anywhere that .tel is what I'd hoped for, or that it's working yet. But it really is premature to say that because it boasts the .tel logo instead of the listings' picture or logo that the concept is not going to happen.

The look of the .tel listing is dependent on the device, anyway. Once it becomes the common form of contact information exchange we'll call it a success.

Just because you can't sell a directory listing doesn't mean it won't be.

dottel09-08-2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotteler (Post 1356)
    Just because you can't sell a directory listing doesn't mean it won't be.

[size]
    Its not just about directory listing.
    People (friends of mine) who I know personally think that they would be more interested to buy the domain if they could have their picture instead of .tel logo.

The number of these people might be less but this is a era where people are more interested to publish themself than in years ago.

Personally I would support to have one custom logo (may not be unique/different logo on each page) and there should be some level of customisation.[/size]

dotteler09-08-2009 07:30 PM

Since it's a DNS served bit of information and the DNS doesn't store such, what would you suggest?
    Scrap the premise of what .tel really is and just create another domain which will point to another server which can have whatever people want to store there?

I hear the arguments, but they're mute points since it's not a possibility. That said it would be great to move on to something constructive rather than beating this dead horse.

My point remains that it's going to be more difficult to pursue the route of populating directories than it is to sell people a .tel address. Is a .tel directory filled with listings of information or listings of .tels?
    I'd rather see a directory with a lot of go to .tel links versus just listings of info.

I am visualizing personally selling several hundred thousand .tel names. That's the strategy I wish others would adopt.

dottel09-08-2009 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotteler (Post 1359)
    Since it's a DNS served bit of information and the DNS doesn't store such, what would you suggest?
    Scrap the premise of what .tel really is and just create another domain which will point to another server which can have whatever people want to store there?

I hear the arguments, but they're mute points since it's not a possibility. That said it would be great to move on to something constructive rather than beating this dead horse.

[size]
    So you say that telnic can't provide or its impossible to have an option of calling a logo in place of existing logo? It does not require to store a image, if you what I am refering to (simple basic html code, img src)[/size]

dotteler09-08-2009 07:43 PM

They must be able to if their logo is shown.
    Embedding with html probably isn't in the game plan.

Again - the look of the listing is going to be dependent on the device. Most cell phones won't even show the .tel logo to begin with.

People would rather ignore the benefits and focus on what they perceive as drawbacks. It's really about speed and ease of finding the contact information (and not just a phone number, once again). 

Are you assuming people will need a logo or picture to be certain they're looking at the proper listing? To make sure they've got the right bobsmith?

I fear that "selling" what .tel isn't really will never work. I've said that all along.

dottel09-08-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotteler (Post 1361)
    They must be able to if their logo is shown.
    Embedding with html probably isn't in the game plan.

[size]
    Embeding could be one of the possible option to provide such feature.
    It would be more appropriate if Telnic announces its game plan:)

Quote:
    [/size]

Again - the look of the listing is going to be dependent on the device. Most cell phones won't even show the .tel logo to begin with.

[size]
    Most web browsers shows the logo. I guess the OP has refered in regards to this and not what .tel looks in a mobile (more over presently .tel can be dialed or accessed either via browser or third party tools so its very limited)

Quote:
    [/size]

People would rather ignore the benefits and focus on what they perceive as drawbacks. It's really about speed and ease of finding the contact information (and not just a phone number, once again).

[size]
    I am not a tarrot reader but I do believe a product success depends on its public demand apart from its features.

Quote:
    [/size]

Are you assuming people will need a logo or picture to be certain they're looking at the proper listing? To make sure they've got the right bobsmith?

[size]
    Are you assuming that people can blindly rely on bbcc.tel as they can rely on bbc.tel?

No one here saying to remove a feature. People here are refering to minimum customisation (this will not kill .tel)[/size]

dotteler09-08-2009 08:03 PM

I can't state what telnic plans. 
    I just feel that consistency is the key with branding. We're at the early stages of a new platform, really.
    It's not like any other domain. If .tel did show anything people wanted it may just as well be a regular domain.

It is special for more positive reasons than people here give it credit for. Maybe telnic will make a statement about plans to allow embedding or allowing html on the listings, but it just seems unlikely.

The issue is about remaining lightweight and not requiring servers to deliver information. We should be promoting the fact that it doesn't rely on servers and the information is served by the DNS = fast and lightweight. Instead we seem to be focusing on what this doesn't allow.

dottel09-08-2009 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotteler (Post 1363)
    It's not like any other domain.

[size]
    I know that. I am sure majority of the members here know that.

Quote:
    [/size]

If .tel did show anything people wanted it may just as well be a regular domain.

[size]
    Thats not necessarily true. People are asking for minimum customization and if .tel wants to be the same then it may not be used by people.

Having a custom logo and hex code color does not make .tel a general domain but it will make it more special than other domains.

Quote:
    [/size]

Maybe telnic will make a statement about plans to allow embedding or allowing html on the listings, but it just seems unlikely.

[size]
    Time will tell what is unlikely or Telnic should release a statement on this so that people can make their decision.

Quote:
    [/size]

The issue is about remaining lightweight and not requiring servers to deliver information.

[size]
    Lightweight? So having a same size and format logo in place of existing .tel will make the .tel heavy weight champion?

Having a pre-definsed hex-code backdrop makes the .tel heavy weight?

Having the above two options makes .tel bad? worst? LMAO

Having one logo/picture with pre-defined hex-code backgrounds will not decrease the speed. Logo size and stuff can be pre-defined. it can be made mandatory to have it hosted somewhere else.

Quote:
    [/size]

We should be promoting the fact that it doesn't rely on servers and the information is served by the DNS = fast and lightweight.

[size]
    So what do you suggest to the majority of the .Tel developers?
    Not to build something like tweet2.tel? (a tool/feature that feed the .tel with fresh relevant tweets?)
    Not to build something like guestbook? (a tool/feature that will display the guestbook messages/signatures)
    Not to build something like promoting.tel (which requires a separate web server to run the application that can be used to maintain .tel domains?)

Promoting.tel uses a separate API based script to accept the submissions/listings. This application is hosted on separate server and requires another domain extension. 

Quote:
    [/size]

Instead we seem to be focusing on what this doesn't allow.

[size]
    You say that .tel is what it is and one should not try for bettering it up to have it optimistic features?[/size]

dotteler09-08-2009 11:45 PM

I'm only stating that the angle of dissent is geared toward telnic. If there exists the possibilities of including various html alterations I'd wager that it will be up to the telhosting provider. I'd be willing to bet that one will offer many of the things everyone here is requesting.

Believe me, I have many domains 'in waiting' for many of these developments to occur. I have tweets on most of my .tels, for instance.

The issue for me is the constant pessimism and hounding over the same concerns. 
    I feel telnic has been and is responsive to the concerns of the community. And, like I stated, I feel there will be many more 'out of the box' developments around .tel. 
    It's just that it's not really up to telnic to jump at every suggestion. I vote that they stay the course.

The issues of prettying up the pages and including various html fragments will most likely be left up to 3rd party developers. We're seeing quite a bit of this type of thing from the telsters group and the Benny Traubs of the world.

I just take issue when people keep pronouncing .tel DOA because it's tough to sell a directory listing right now. When many many more people buy a .tel and it becomes much more known people will sense the value in it. When it's universally available on all devices people will know the value in it. At that point I wager people will wish they'd speculated and gotten their own name or business .tel.

I mean, it's less than $2 a month! If you're really savvy about utilizing the multitude of free web space out there, .tel can truly serve as your digital hub.. the only address you need.

Show me something else that has that kind of value.

dottel09-09-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotteler (Post 1366)
    It's just that it's not really up to telnic to jump at every suggestion. I vote that they stay the course.

[size]
    Well, all I have seen from Telnic so far in regards to basic customisation is, "We are listening" and I am not saying they are not
    I vote that they listen and act upon. It's not that people are asking to remove a feature, its just adding more value with basic minimum customization.

Quote:
    [/size]

The issues of prettying up the pages and including various html fragments will most likely be left up to 3rd party developers.

[size]
    I do not think it’s something that 3rd party developers can do to replace the existing logo with a pre-defined restricted size & format customised logo.

Quote:
    [/size]

I just take issue when people keep pronouncing .tel DOA because it's tough to sell a directory listing right now.

[size]
    The only way to handle to either Telnic to provide the basic customization feature or Telnic should release a note saying that .tel will not have such features.

Quote:
    [/size]

When many many more people buy a .tel and it becomes much more known people will sense the value in it.

[size]
    It's already happen, people started realising what they can do and what they can't (at the moment) with a .tel

Some have launched as is and testing
    Some are with the hopes and participating in the forums trying to get the minimum features that market demands.
    Some are trying to sell to the .tel fans and believers.

Myself I am believer in .tel otherwise I do not spare my time in participating here. At the sametime I believe in having optimistic features that .tel should have in order to appeal mass requirements.

Quote:
    [/size]

When it's universally available on all devices people will know the value in it. At that point I wager people will wish they'd speculated and gotten their own name or business .tel.

[size]
    There is no doubt what .tel could be. But there should be a time line for the milestones and if it is available to tel users it keeps them motivated.

Quote:
    [/size]

I mean, it's less than $2 a month! If you're really savvy about utilizing the multitude of free web space out there, .tel can truly serve as your digital hub.. the only address you need.

[size]
    Yes it is less than 2 to maintain a personal .tel but it will not be less than $2 per month if one wants to build a commercial .tel

To build commercial .tel one requires something like what promoting.tel uses
    - separate domain extension
    - a server to host the application/script
    - promoting two sites (one for main purpose, one for the accepting submissions and collecting fee/£££)

If .tel is just for individuals then there is no such additional cost.

Quote:
    [/size]

Show me something else that has that kind of value.

[size]
    No one is questioning the ability of .tel technology or its advantages.
    .Tel has advantages that no other domain extension have (at the moment), but it also have other drawbacks that needs to overcome to make it more appealing and shut the mouths of many .tel haters. Having optimistic features will help .tel gain more sales and build the .tel community stronger.[/size]

Shahid09-09-2009 11:02 AM

dottel, i liked what you said last.

".Tel has advantages that no other domain extension have (at the moment), but it also have other drawbacks that needs to overcome to make it more appealing and shut the mouths of many .tel haters. Having optimistic features will help .tel gain more sales and build the .tel community stronger."

it surely does have all the advantage over any TLD but if anyone comes up with suggestion its not that one hates .tel but wants to polish it more to make it the perfect master piece not only for the telnic but the community which i assume and would love to see grow in large numbers even to a billion .tel users

telepass09-09-2009 02:33 PM

This is not a question on 'hating .tel' v/s being 'a believer'. This binary view only brings people to choose either camp and close their minds.

No product on Earth is perfect. So it is always a good thing to question it and challenge the designers on what they are doing.

It should always boil down to 'what do the clients want and need'.

Any successful product / company is a result of listening to the clients. History has shown us that companies who so not act this way simply diseappear.

The particular issue of images / no images / templates is an interesting one.

On one side, you have clients who are used to see images on the computer, one their phone, and see it as a natural to upload their picture on their Facebook profile. If they do not already have a phone that plays music and video clips, they see ads on TV about this.

On the other side you have a company that is trying to get the same people to buy into a comunication channel that only supports text.

Put it any way you want, any technical argument won't fly unless the public sees the benefits of the product. The general public simply does not get, or care about writing their phone number directly in the DNS, if the result is a service that they are not interested to use. Make it interesting enough to them, they will buy it.

As it is today in 2009, trying to sell the .tel channel without support for custom image and graphics is like launching a new brand of black and white only TV sets and expecting people to be excited by this, using the argument 'you don't need the colors, you can understand the movie without it'.

... or trying to sell a text only email client, because 'it's faster without the images and attachments'.

... or convince people to only feed themselves with milk because 'milk is sufficient' why all this trouble growing fruits and vegetables and cooking anyway'

No images?.... Have you convinced anyone else than yourself of this today?

dotteler09-09-2009 08:22 PM

I fully understand your arguments about images, etc.
    I just don't think it's a make or break point like you seem to.
    If I want to find a fax number or email address quickly, the image just gets in the way.

marimax09-10-2009 09:45 AM

Absolutely right.
    I want information about the business and don't care how handsome or ugly the owner is

dottel09-10-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telepass (Post 1386)
    This is not a question on 'hating .tel' v/s being 'a believer'. This binary view only brings people to choose either camp and close their minds.

[size]
    Did I say its a question of hating .tel v/s being a believer?
    LOL
    Myself? yes I believe in .Tel technology
    I believe that Telnic would listen to its users and will allow some features.
    I believe it will be a huge success as the usage will increase both in terms of developement and end users.

I believe when Telnic provide the basic customisation feature, many of the people who are now questioning about the usage will buy more domains.

If I do not believe in something I either ignore it or hate it.
    I believe that .tels should not be ignored nor hated because of few simple drawbacks. Inspite of it, Telnic should provide the basic customisation (which is the major point of the discussion) then the existing people who are now ignoring or hating will be more interested to buy .tel

Quote:
    [/size]

Originally Posted by dotteler (Post 1388)
    If I want to find a fax number or email address quickly, the image just gets in the way.

[size]
    Yes its individual choice.
    having a feature that can be enabled/disabled by owners will not kill the site.

Quote:
    [/size]

Originally Posted by marimax (Post 1396)
    Absolutely right.
    I want information about the business and don't care how handsome or ugly the owner is

[size]
    Absolutely right for you. But having basic customisation will not kill the .tel
    Its up to the owner of the .tel how to customize his/her .tel
    If they are happy with the existing .tel logo they will not customise it.
    If they want to customize the look let them have the feature available.[/size]

dottelme09-10-2009 11:07 PM

Some people might find the pictures and logos helpful in identifying who they're trying to contact or...who is contacting them.

If we want to completely replace the address book in the phone, we should allow a logo or photo to be placed. Many people add a photo to tie to a person's contact info and if entering a .tel in the address book will pull in all of a person's or business' contact info including the photo and logo, this would eliminate the need to take pictures of individuals every time we lose a phone. .TEL will be even more powerful and cool.

I believe allowing a logo or photo would only increase end user adoption rate and help .TEL go mainstream sooner rather than later.

dotteler09-10-2009 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottelme (Post 1405)
    I believe allowing a logo or photo would only increase end user adoption rate and help .TEL go mainstream sooner rather than later.

[size]
    Since .tel wouldn't store the image but simply link to an embed I'd think the 'problem issue' would be no control over image size, compression, etc.
    I could imagine then that you would encounter situations where the images totally obscured small screens, like on cell phones.
    On browsers, not so much an issue.

The image issue does seem to be the 'darling pet peeve' of this bunch, but really doesn't make logical sense to me to include it. Again.. if you look up a listing in the 'white pages' you're not seeing images. To me, .tel is the white pages, or the internet version of them.

Everyone seems to want .tel to be something other that what it's strength really is - quickly delivering CONTACT information.[/size]

telepass09-10-2009 11:49 PM

by the way, if you click on the vCard link and open the page you will see there are many fields left blank, including a picture field. Why not get the picture of the contact if it was provided in some way by the owner of the .tel.

Most people put their picture on their facebook profile and many do it on MSN messenger etc so it's a natural.
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 2:55 am

telepass09-11-2009 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotteler (Post 1406)

The image issue does seem to be the 'darling pet peeve' of this bunch, but really doesn't make logical sense to me to include it. Again.. if you look up a listing in the 'white pages' you're not seeing images. To me, .tel is the white pages, or the internet version of them.

Everyone seems to want .tel to be something other that what it's strength really is - quickly delivering CONTACT information.

[size]
    Well, it you want to stay 'true' to the original concept I guess you're right.

On the other hand your idea of what's 'correct' maybe is not exactly representative of what others think is 'good'.

Maybe white pages never contained pictures of users because it was never offered to them. If people would have added their picture on the white pages the image management for printing directories would have been impossible to manage, and the direcrories themselves would end up being too big to be printed.

But given the choice, maybe they'd like to have it there too, like they all do on their facebook page. Maybe they just think it's 'cool'. And 'coolness' may be what's missing to .tel to be a popular success.

The 'no image' thing is maybe the original concept, it does not mean Joe Public will think it's cool to have a white page.

He will have the last word. not you, not me, not telnic.[/size]

dotteler09-11-2009 01:18 AM

Here's a zebra for you. It has black and white stripes.

"I don't want the zebra to have black and white stripes. I want it to look like something else"

But, it has black and white stripes. It's a zebra.

"I want the zebra to be a moose"

But, it's a zebra.

This seems to be how this argument goes.

dottelme09-11-2009 01:30 AM

I think it's more like.

"Let's groom the zebra and put a saddle on its back so people can put it to use."

dotteler09-11-2009 01:31 AM

What use is missing? It doesn't allow you to do what it was claimed to do?

dottelme09-11-2009 03:05 AM

What I'm trying to get at is getting more people and businesses to use it and right now there's just not that much incentive.

I just believe any business would appreciate being able to add their logo in their online business card and without it, most may not see it as an important tool for their business.

The average Joe doesn't want to pay to have an online whitepages listing that they can't put their photo in. Whitepages are for books with limited room and is free to get listed on.

Right now the zebra doesn't look appealing to ride on.

telepass09-11-2009 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottelme (Post 1416)
    What I'm trying to get at is getting more people and businesses to use it and right now there's just not that much incentive.

I just believe any business would appreciate being able to add their logo in their online business card and without it, most may not see it as an important tool for their business.

The average Joe doesn't want to pay to have an online whitepages listing that they can't put their photo in. Whitepages are for books with limited room and is free to get listed on.

Right now the zebra doesn't look appealing to ride on.

[size]
    You found the correct words to describe the situation.

If everybody around me was having his own .tel and would be very popular i would simply not be here to argue about images and trying to shake this thing up. I won't go and repeat myself but maybe you could try to actually sell your concept of a white page listing to a business and ask him to pay you for this. Come back tell us your experience.[/size]

dotteler09-11-2009 03:43 PM

I would say these 'issues' are about preference and not about .tel being unusable as was stated. You fail to point out what isn't usable about it.

telepass09-11-2009 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotteler (Post 1424)
    I would say these 'issues' are about preference and not about .tel being unusable as was stated. You fail to point out what isn't usable about it.

[size]
    Agreed. It is usable and does what it was designed to do, I mean, it works really well.

The point is they need to make it more attractive to the masses for it to be a huge success. If mass users preferences were met we would see a huge improvement on adoption rate.[/size]

dottel09-14-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telepass (Post 1407)
    by the way, if you click on the vCard link and open the page you will see there are many fields left blank, including a picture field. Why not get the picture of the contact if it was provided in some way by the owner of the .tel.

Most people put their picture on their facebook profile and many do it on MSN messenger etc so it's a natural.

[size]
    Good point[/size]

dottel09-14-2009 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottelme (Post 1414)
    I think it's more like.

"Let's groom the zebra and put a saddle on its back so people can put it to use."

[size]
    you are right.
    People are trying to better a product and not to remove zebra lines LMAO[/size]

dottel09-14-2009 09:25 AM

Quote:

[size]
    I think you fail to understand what people referring to.
    People are referring to add those minimum basic features pertaining to customization.

If I am not wrong, no one here is questioning about the ability or advantages of the .tel[/size]

dotteler09-14-2009 03:47 PM

It doesn't benefit me any to try to educate you. Everyone here is entitled to their opinion. I simply want to align with other positive entities wishing to promote .tel, not badger it.

dottel09-15-2009 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotteler (Post 1451)
    It doesn't benefit me any to try to educate you.

[size]
    Neither I get any benifit from educating you:rolleyes:

Quote:
    [/size]

Everyone here is entitled to their opinion.

[size]
    Yes & Good to know that you are aware of that.

Quote:
    [/size]

I simply want to align with other positive entities wishing to promote .tel, not badger it.

[size]
    I support the positive aspects/entities and at the same time I look forward to discuss the features that could enhance a product. Unlike just being a blind follower.[/size]

dottel.net09-16-2009 04:47 PM

any suggestions for additional templates to add?

http://telpowered.com
    allows addition of a logo to your tel data and combines under one of their extensions.
    currently has about 9 templates to choose from with many more on the way....

example telpowered extensions built on top of dot tel:
    http://ben.tel.gg
    http://justin.tel.gg

there's a selection of free extensions to chose from to try it out.... please bear in mind service is in beta!

mactel10-06-2009 08:35 PM

Quote:

[size]
    This thread started not about usability, but about how to change the looks of telproxy, so that more users will use .tel.
    If .tel would look a bit like a .mobi, on the mobil phone screen, it would not have any negative effect: The example pictures, are a good idea. 

As not many people will come around to use a .mobi, at present, .tel could make a start, and show, that mobile content and mobile services, can be attractive to use, and look attractive, as well.

Anyway: The "quasidotmobi"-tel-domain on handhelds, would be far less expensive, than to use .mobi.
    Which is why people would than thend to rather use .tel, than .mobi.
    .[/size]

spline11-26-2009 10:45 AM

I still belive that the ugly looks of .tel is a showstopper.

You show a .telpage on the web and peoples first reaction is boring.
    You have to start explaining about the advantages etc. Which should not be neccessary. 

If the first reaction was, that it look like the future/exclusive/sexy and the first reaction would be Coool. Then I belive it could really take off.

People don't want to be associated with a boring look. 
    The look and cool is why the iphone sells, they would never have sold a single unit if it had the .tel look.

I know it still has to look serious directory business, please let people chose from different templates, when they are surfing from a computer.

What about flashbased templates?

Gav11-26-2009 05:33 PM

I also agree in regards of the .tel template looking boring to potential first time buyers.

It would be great if you were able to upload a logo, most businesses ect love this and it's what would make there .tel unique from the rest.

Also different templates would also be great as people would have a choice which would mean we would no longer have to look at the same .tel page all the while.

I like choices, as do everyone, and im sure if telnic could make it happen then they would see alot more sell.

It would be good everyone involved.

Just my thoughts

Gav

dottel11-26-2009 09:27 PM

Good to see that members finally voicing for customization feature.
    It would be very easy to market as well.

mactel11-28-2009 10:54 AM

Yes, we can!
    Change will come!
    Bye, bye, gray page...!

Shahid11-28-2009 07:40 PM

Mactel you sound like someone i know

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-09, 3:20 am