The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Phone company auto deployment of .Tel with every phone number issued.

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Phone company auto deployment of .Tel with every phone number issued. Empty Phone company auto deployment of .Tel with every phone number issued.

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 3:19 am

Undermoose04-22-2010 04:16 PM

Phone company auto deployment of .Tel with every phone number issued.

ICANN licensing prevents Telnic from issuing numerical only .Tel domains.

However, I'd think it would be of extraordinary benefit for Telnic to provision a new record field, a "pre-domain name" country code that gets auto appended to the "number only.tel".

These special domains would only be provisioned through the phone company owning the phone number, and most importantly be assigned to every phone number given out.

dotteler04-22-2010 05:34 PM

Semi defeats the purpose of using a name vs. a number.

Undermoose04-22-2010 05:44 PM

Dotteler take the blinders off. The domain name isn't as important as the record fields in. .Tel domain. However, vanity naming, or niche business directories still apply.

The only thing my suggestion would do is proliferate the .Tel extension to the masses on a rapid schedule.

In other posts I've detailed the secondary need for the domain name, and primary need for the meat of the .Tel to be populated.

When this happens it'll be the search engines that will serve up results in a well contructed, localized (or not), and contact rich manner.

Focussing on the name is counter productive to .Tel. Focussing on the .Tel global directory is what everyone needs.

Every .Tel involved person or business should have Telpages, or other search engines, as the formost goal for content delivery, and mobile phone as primary technology (but not discounting traditional web).

plaggypig04-22-2010 06:59 PM

@Undermoose That's what ENUM is for. I just have a record on e164.org that points to my .tel :-)

Mobile carriers could bundle .tel names as part of their plans and up-sell them to their existing customers. This might present some interesting opportunities for selling even more services, but I doubt .tel is on their radar yet.

Undermoose04-22-2010 07:25 PM

Enum is: Telephone number mapping is the process of unifying the telephone number system of the public switched telephone network with the Internet addressing and identification name spaces.

If you want to add ENUM records to .Tel, why not, but ENUM is not .Tel, and what I'm suggesting still applies. 

I'm talking .Tel here.

If every cell phone had a .Tel with it from point of sale we'd count .Tel domains in the billions soon, and with that many records only a search engine will be able to service it. So when you're talking billions the domain name is not the main focus... and yet a good name will stand out among the billions.

dotteler04-22-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undermoose (Post 8330)
    Dotteler take the blinders off.

[size]
    I don't think one could make the argument that I have a narrow visioin for .tel.
    My point about eliminating numbers in .tel: If one is using the number directly, why use .tel?
    .tel is to tie the name to the number or vice versa.[/size]

Undermoose04-22-2010 09:32 PM

First off, one reason to use a dot .Tel is to make it a name and not a number, but .Tel has many uses including the simple listing of all your contact information.

Secondly, not everyone cares about having a unique name. For some, if not many people, any .Tel would work. Having it served up to them integrated with their phone would be very easy to use, then offer an upgrade to the name of their choosing if interested.

Furthermore, there is a name field in the .Tel records. Personal, Business, etc. 

Why care about the domain name itself? Sure we're all trained that way now... and it has value as a name... But irrelevant to the person doing a search. Very important to a person/business for common language use if needed.

For example, if I'm trying to find John Doe from Portland Oregon, why do I care what his .Tel name is until after I find the correct record. The answer is that you don't care about the domain name, just the contact details in the search, until after you find out their .Tel and can make a record of it in Superbook.

A clear example of this today is Google, Yahoo, Bing, most people aren't searching by domain names, sure we've all done it, but what really matters is what we're interested in, and when we find it we bookmark it. Telnic's .Tel is no different in this respect.

plaggypig04-23-2010 06:00 AM

@Undermoose Names do matter. They're the simplest units of meaning that we have, useful not just for search, but in all the countless other ways that we exchange information, e.g. through speech.

Have I understood you correctly - you want telcos to issue names in the form 0123456789.uk.tel? That's not going to be useful for anything. In my case I have a land line number, a VOIP trunk, I change my mobile number 2 or 3 times per year, plus whatever numbers I might acquire if I travel.

Identifying yourself with a number is precisely what we're trying to get away from

dottel.net04-23-2010 09:31 AM

its the dial by name feature we want integrated into ALL new handsets that automatically query your tel for your number before dialing that will turbo charge this tld...

Undermoose04-23-2010 01:28 PM

Plagfypig and Dottel.net, I believe*you both need to think through the issue. Think forward to "billions of records".

Your purposes are not the sole interest of Telnic. I'm positive Telnic would love to see .Tel expand through providers in any globally acceptible format. 

As for the format, that would be a Telnic - ICANN issue - phone provider issue, and in fact Justin Hayward recognizes this potential and replied to this concept in another thread, here: *http://telnic.org/forum/showthread.php?p=8332#post8332

Some people don't care about names, they just want to be in the directory. and who cares about how often you change your phone number in the sense of a global directory. If you update your fields properly you'll be able to be found.*

However, in the case of changing numbers frequently, yes you're a customer who cares about a personal .tel name. In my case I haven't changed my number in over 10 years, and there are many like that.

Names are just one aspect of the tech, and highly irrelevant to a global directory.

The dial by name feature will be a big benefit and promote use of personal .tel's, but I'd rather have 1 billion domains with 1 million custom names than a total of 100 million custom names domains...

While both your point of view have marketing merrit, you're limiting potential use of .Tel not broadening your perspective.*

Current date/time is 2024-05-08, 4:04 am