The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Why would anyone use TelPages ???

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Why would anyone use TelPages ??? Empty Why would anyone use TelPages ???

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 12:45 pm

telrific04-10-2010 04:44 PM

Why would anyone use TelPages ???

New link and post at telpagesplus.com:

Why should I use telpages and encourage others to do the same ?

Something everyone should realize.

JLouisBiz04-10-2010 08:25 PM

Telpages is just another search engine. It is not yet a true search for people and businesses, as it does not use structured results, but simple search engine results, similar to Yahoo or Google.

That is certainly not how TEL shall be searched and presented.

You search for police station in London, you shall get:

Police Station
    Address
    ZIP, London

Phone number
    Website

Something like that. Like a phone book. Not like a search engine for websites.

telrific04-10-2010 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7894)
    Telpages is just another search engine. It is not yet a true search for people and businesses, as it does not use structured results

[size]
    Actually, it does use structured results.

If the title/domain match is not found, it then searches subdomains and content for relevance.

Structure always comes first when it is there, and it will be more often, as more register.

Search for "chris" and you see many structured results.

Search for "dogs" and you see many results that are Google style.

It is both, but it is DEFINITELY NOT just another search engine !

Great job Telnic ! The best is yet to come !

:)[/size]

JLouisBiz04-11-2010 10:05 AM

Sorry, but yet I have to show you what type of search TelPages shall become.

Click here:
    http://anywho.yellowpages.com/name/S...erms=st.+louis

Like this:
    http://www.teldomaintel.com/images/s...-Phonebook.jpg

As TEL domains, are contact informations. So, there are important aspects to consider for such a search engine:

1. By average and majority of users, somebody in Australia will not be interested for auto parts from United States, or India; the search must be localized, that much, to offer local results based on the IP address location of the user, and give to user still options to search world wide;

2. TEL domains have structured information: contact information, phone number, fax number, emails, addresses; right now Telpages.com behaves like yet another search engine searching for content instead for particular information which people need: contact information, addresses, businesses, people;

3. Results must be given in a structured way, like shown above. Most of all, TEL domains are advertised as a global phone book. 

THINK

Do you call your local phone book information service by phone, and you say on phone "I am searching for Chris", and they give you result like this: "Christopher Bird
    I am currently in Fiji and have limited contact to email and phone services.
    Christopher Bird, Chris, pomki, CJRB, cjrbird, , contact, bird, email, telephone Contact Chris Bird
    "

That is simply NONSENSE.

The phone book information service will ask you "Chriss, where?", "Do you know his last name?" and you would get exact results based on location and other factors.

And that is what Telpages shall do in the future: sort all Google Maps locations into database of locations, all addresses into locations, and use the IP address of the user to give customized results.

That is what Google does for content based web sites.

Telpages shall do similar, only give truly localized and structured results. 

Like on the image above.

dottel04-11-2010 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 7894)
    Telpages is just another search engine. It is not yet a true search for people and businesses, as it does not use structured results, but simple search engine results, similar to Yahoo or Google.

That is certainly not how TEL shall be searched and presented.

You search for police station in London, you shall get:

Police Station
    Address
    ZIP, London

Phone number
    Website

Something like that. Like a phone book. Not like a search engine for websites.

[size]
    Yes I would expect the results to include contact information too and not just the .tel urls[/size]

telrific04-11-2010 01:26 PM

The point was simply that telpages DOES have structured results.

"Chris" was simply used to show an example due to the registrations to date.
    The names with more information such as "chris smith" and "cardinal roofing" was simply not used because telpages doesn't have registrations to show a comparison yet.

Here's the point:

Do a side by side search with a name or a business as a comparison with Google.

"chris" or "cardinal"

So, with "chris" or "cardinal" one can easily see the difference between results.

telpages IS structured to show GOOD results vs. Google's results, showing that telpages is MUCH better at doing what it is focused on doing.

AS FOR CONTACT information like YellowPages, sure, if what you are looking for has the NEED for geography, otherwise it is a USELESS EYESORE.

If I shop on Amazon for auto parts and a store gives me the best price for auto parts including shipping, I couldn't care less WHERE it was located. Same with ANYTHING I was looking for that didn't require my actually going there. As MILLIONS of Businesses do business on the Internet, "WHERE" is pointless.

The same is true for "Individuals". If I am looking for People, I couldn't care less WHERE they are at any given moment in their life, only WHO they are and how THEY prefer I contact them.

As more registrations of Businesses and Individuals are included in telpages, and as things change many times such as "where", or "telephone numbers", or "email addresses" --- telpages understands that ONE thing always stays the same ... the NAME of the business or individual !

The other associations like "where", "telephone", "email", etc. are left where they often change, as an ATTACHMENT to the NAME. 

The Name is ALWAYS the correct PRIMARY focus regardless of attachments.

Google - BAD at names.
    YellowPages - BAD at changes
    Telpages - GREAT at both 

As telpages progresses and people get used to the reality of how things really are instead of what they are used to this will become clear.

Again, GREAT job Telnic ... The best is yet to come !

JLouisBiz04-11-2010 02:03 PM

No questions about the usability and value of Telpages.Com -- it is great tool for searching. 

There is misunderstanding on what I mean with "structured results" -- so rather see the picture above. That kind of result is what people do expect of a phone book search engine. I assume that Telpages.Com will become such a search engine.

I find this thread rather important for improvement of effectiveness of Telpages.Com.

There are MANY examples which will work.
    Because when you KNOW what you search, you get the expected results. 

But let me show you some examples, which currently don't work:

See this search on Telpages for wedding photographer in Florida, ZERO results:
    http://d0.telpages.com/search_form.a...edding+florida

Try this one on Google:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Try Anywho:
    http://anywho.yellowpages.com/catego...er?from=AnyWho

Summary:

Telpages -- ZERO results; 
    Google -- assumes photographer is a result, even if there is no "wedding" on his page (correct),
    Anywho - by far the best results with direct addresses and phone numbers.

ANOTHER TEST, we search for web design missouri

Telpages, first result is irrelevant to web design, 2nd result is relevant, and other 3 results are irrelevant:
    http://d0.telpages.com/search_form.a...esign+missouri

Google, first result is relevant, 2nd is questionable, there are no more other irrelevant results:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Anywho -- CORRECT!
    http://anywho.yellowpages.com/MO/Web...rms=web+design

That Telpages.Com are usable tool, sure, Telpages.com is usable. But it gives content based results, lacks the intelligence like Google and lacks the true features of a phone book based results, like Anywho. 

If you see how Anywho has ordered the results by categories, by locations, that is how I expect Telpages to behave in the future. TEL domains are contact information entries, they shall be treated as such.

telrific04-11-2010 02:17 PM

Yeah, ok, so let's see:

We already said telpages will need more registrations, and everything you said relates to that.

In addition, let me reiterate another point:

Quote:

... and people get used to the reality of how things really are instead of what they are used to this will become clear.

[size]
    Nothing you're attempting to search by can't be done in telpages better.

"more registrations" and "clearer understanding of how things are" is all that's needed.

:)[/size]

henri04-11-2010 10:57 PM

There are a couple of orthogonal issues being discussed here:
    1- The data content in .tel domains, which directly impacts relevance calculations and results. Obviously the more data in .tel domains, the better search results will be and the better the user experience.

2- The presentation of said content in the results listings. We elected to display why a listing was present in the search result by showing the relevant parts of the indexed content. We can also let the user's browser in real-time retrieve the actual latest data from the domain and display it in a structured way (Phone:.... , Address:....). We're experimenting with a number of different interfaces.

telrific04-12-2010 12:56 AM

This afternoon I introduced telpages.com to a group of individuals with no knowledge of .tel or telpages.com

The "test" was this and they knew only my name and were looking at me.

"Using your mobile phone, you need to reach me. Do it."

They could not using Google or YellowPages or Others they knew of, so I continued.

"Using your mobile phone, you need to reach me. Do it. This time I will say only this in addition: telpages.com"

My cellphone in my pocket rang about 1-2 minutes later.

They were able to search for me using only my name and contact me accordingly.

They were amazed how easy telpages.com was, and loved the click to connect to any of the contact links made available.

The biggest concern was as follows:

"I was unsure which was you in the results, a picture is needed in the results."

Suggestions that "text fingerprints" of address, keywords, etc. are of value were quickly dismissed as many had no idea what they were to be of any value anyway.

I informed them of the computer based telproxy inclusion of the photo/logo and they were impressed.

One found the telWings inclusion of tel-Photo as the way they would identify me, but that they had to dig beyond the results to get to that.

I said to them "You knew my name and my face so this was of value to you in identifying the correct one, others may know only something textual and the name and picture mean nothing, or the address means nothing, or the keywords mean nothing. It will always take a little digging to find the correct one, but, the digging is always only one or two clicks away and in the same format, not pages and pages deep like other search results and websites."

They agreed that "digging" would always be necessary unless ALL information was provided in the results.

I additionally showed them a Business version that included more telWings features:

Dish-TV.tel

They were amazed by the additions of the Greeting, Video, Ratings, etc., and proclaimed that this would be an amazing directory if people and businesses all used telpages.com

I assured them it is the goal.

Overall they were very impressed and proclaimed telpages.com and the .tel page as a VERY significant advance over both Google and YellowPages.

JLouisBiz04-12-2010 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henri (Post 7934)
    2- The presentation of said content in the results listings. We elected to display why a listing was present in the search result by showing the relevant parts of the indexed content. We can also let the user's browser in real-time retrieve the actual latest data from the domain and display it in a structured way (Phone:.... , Address:....). We're experimenting with a number of different interfaces.

[size]
    I assumed there is at least a consideration.[/size]

JLouisBiz04-12-2010 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 7937)
    Overall they were very impressed and proclaimed telpages.com and the .tel page as a VERY significant advance over both Google and YellowPages.

[size]
    It is a great success story.[/size]

henri04-12-2010 08:38 AM

TelPages was designed before the logos. Clearly adding A HREFs to the logos so that they display on the side of the results is a good thing, with the negative being the significantly larger data transfers. But we've got ideas on how to do this for the mobiles.

telrific04-13-2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henri (Post 7944)
    TelPages was designed before the logos. Clearly adding A HREFs to the logos so that they display on the side of the results is a good thing, with the negative being the significantly larger data transfers. But we've got ideas on how to do this for the mobiles.

[size]
    It would definitely be a benefit if it could be done as such, great to hear.[/size]

JLouisBiz04-13-2010 08:07 PM

Hmm, let me see:

A million of TEL pages' logos of 40 KB each, could be saved on an inexpensive 50 GB hard disk, on the first request, it could be resized and squashed, and served through TELNIC proxy, over the same TEL domain.

Simple solution to implement, great impact on a network and loading time.

But the true solution would be to offer some web space for those logos, as that is not too much asked. Than ALL of the .TEL domains could have resized logo of 78x78 automatically. And logos would be served from the same server name or TEL domain, not asking for additional DNS requests.

For 10 millions of TEL pages, the caching of such logos is still piece of cake, even for a single entrepreneur.

Look at this: http://www.telnic.org.nyud.net/ -- first load, than automatic speedup, on a free content delivery network.
    Software for automatic speedup is even free: http://www.coralcdn.org/download/
    And all it requires is few more servers to setup all over the world, to make speed better for end users. TELNIC certainly can afford 10 more servers. Right now I know TELs are served from Germany even if requested from Panama.

How about this one: http://www.telpagesplus.com.nyud.net

Learn: 
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_delivery_network

How about this one?
    http://danga.com/perlbal/

There are so many solutions easy and too cheap to implement, and it is up to TELNIC to find time to finish all the tasks and consider also speeding up the TEL system in general.

Triton NW04-14-2010 11:17 PM

Telpages 2010: Is there a plan?

Hello Telnic
    I was demonstrating Telpages on a web presentation this afternoon to a handfull of directory candidates. They loved the look and they were extremely impressed at how my sites were at the top of the listings. We went through a bunch of the technology and did several very successful searches. The last question that I was asked was a simple one: "I can see that your directories rank very well in Telpages and we would get a lot of exposure in a Telpages search. How are people going to find Telpages. I had never heard of it prior to today" I actually stumbled through it and answered the question but the truth is, I had no idea. 

I am not asking to gripe, I just need to know what to tell clients. Is there a plan in place to promote Telpages?

JLouisBiz04-15-2010 02:39 PM

It is clear that there is marketing for Telpages, see, it is marketed on Google:
    www.telpages.com&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.google.com/search?num=30&...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

A joke. Don't show that to your business partners.

spline04-15-2010 04:40 PM

Well once the telpages search box on .tel domains who allows it, gets back on many .tel domains, more people will start to use the search.

Since it will be easy to find.

Once people start to use the search, teldomains will take off.

Triton NW04-15-2010 04:48 PM

Telnic?
    If the answer is "we have no plans" or "none of your business" or "we will announce soon" any reply would be great. As I mentioned before, I am not complaining but I cant keep logging onto the forum 5 times a day looking for some new tidbit of news. By the way, an acceptable answer is "shut up and quit asking"

dottel.net04-15-2010 05:03 PM

fyi - it's featured in the april newsletter. hopefully there is a big pr push coming soon too...
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Why would anyone use TelPages ??? Empty Re: Why would anyone use TelPages ???

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 12:45 pm

Aled04-15-2010 05:44 PM

Triton,

Hopefully you've just received a copy of our April newsletter, which announces TelPages to the entire .tel community. There are promotions planned for TelPages in the coming months, but I'm afraid I can't be any more specific at this time.

Triton NW04-15-2010 05:48 PM

Aled
    Thanks for the reply

Triton NW04-16-2010 04:06 AM

I did read it. Are you saying that my questions were answered there. I will read it again.

telrific04-16-2010 01:32 PM

April Newsletter

Fantastic News In The April Newsletter:

1. .TEL Is Being Advertised On TV In The U.S. And Elsewhere.
    2. TelPages 2.0 Is Being Developed With Advanced Features As We Speak.
    3. Colleagues Around The World Investing Huge Money And Huge Legwork Successfully.

That, along with the SIGNIFICANT progress in only 1 year versus all other .tlds is GREAT !
    (Validates these statements even further: why.telpagesplus.com )

The Best Is Yet To Come, That's For Sure !

Looking Forward To The New Templates.

emerald04-16-2010 03:25 PM

Has anyone actually seen a .Tel advert on UK TV or is this something coming in the pipeline very soon.

mactel04-16-2010 03:48 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_0CwEMUJ8Ow...kaufswagen.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by emerald (Post 8114)
    Has anyone actually seen a .Tel advert on UK TV or is this something coming in the pipeline very soon.

[size]
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...9d/BT_Logo.png

"I Found It At Last" case study for .tel domains from BT.
    http://www.viddler.com/explore/BTTradespace/videos/209/

Code, to embed the video .tel advert into your blog:

http://www.getyourtelname.com/images/getyourtelname.gif
    The Love Train:
    http://www.getyourtelname.com/uk/index.html

Code, to embed the video .tel advert into your blog:

I think, in Canada, there had been one or two real .tel TV adverts....

Still loads more to come. Stay tuned. Be (very) patient...

Cheers.

.[/size]

ArrisDottel04-16-2010 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emerald (Post 8114)

[size]

Yes .tel was advertised on Bloomberg in the UK. I think it may have been October time.[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-14, 9:46 pm