The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Google Ranking

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Google Ranking Empty Google Ranking

Post by Telnic 2015-01-03, 4:29 am

Howard06-03-2009 04:51 PM

Google Ranking

Does anyone have any tips on how to improve the Google Ranking for a .tel?

Submission to Google is obviously a head start, as are maximising the number of relevant links. Any other SEO tips?

dottel06-10-2009 02:44 PM

Promote the same way as you promote a normal website.
    Coming to on-page optimization, well the data is already well presented but make sure you utilize the available resources like use of keywords to describe each page/sub-domain and also optimize the description.

Personally I have seen better results when you optimize the description (which normally get displayed at the beginning of the each page).

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-10-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard (Post 16)

Submission to Google is obviously a head start, as are maximising the number of relevant links. Any other SEO tips?

[size]
    I developed www.tweet2.tel for that purpose. You get fresh content and a link pointing to your site from a subfolder at tweet2.tel where all domains relate in some way (usually industry) to yours. By presenting fresh content weekly, Google sees changes on what otherwise would look stagnant. Time will tell if this will work but so far a google of tweet 2 tel shows many top hits already. Over 600 domains are currently being indexed by tweet2tel.[/size]

rostel06-12-2009 07:45 AM

Hello Mark, kind of new to all this. Thank you for your script -and the ability to add some .tel domains for free, for now-. I registered my .tel and tried to manage my account but something went wrong. When I forced a refresh I got this error:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/h0stgt0r/public_html/mytel.me/seo-refresh.php on line 263

Not sure what I missed.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-12-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rostel (Post 69)
    Hello Mark, kind of new to all this. Thank you for your script -and the ability to add some .tel domains for free, for now-. I registered my .tel and tried to manage my account but something went wrong. When I forced a refresh I got this error:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/h0stgt0r/public_html/mytel.me/seo-refresh.php on line 263

Not sure what I missed.

[size]
    Rostel, you didn't miss anything. When the original error occurred we didnt create your domain completely. This issue has been corrected. Thanks for pointing it out.[/size]

rostel06-12-2009 03:52 PM

Mark, thanks. This is cool. I have completely avoided all other alt tlds. All mobi, all ws, cc, etc. But in regards to .tel I feel it is different. I do not think this domain is suitable just for everything, but as technology progresses and internet becomes completely mobile (data over handheld) I think .tel may have some good specific functions in specific industries/activities. Good luck everyone.

3ds06-15-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rostel (Post 81)
    Mark, thanks. This is cool. I have completely avoided all other alt tlds. All mobi, all ws, cc, etc. But in regards to .tel I feel it is different. I do not think this domain is suitable just for everything, but as technology progresses and internet becomes completely mobile (data over handheld) I think .tel may have some good specific functions in specific industries/activities. Good luck everyone.

[size]
    support! .tel is a good web indication for some specific area!
    espicel for some artist and small corp.[/size]

emearg106-23-2009 02:15 PM

I just keep adding relevant content and submitting to directories.

I have a two word dot tel.

I am 9th if you search for the words joined up but not on the first 200 hundred pages if you put a space in the middle.

We are also on front page for many other local searches.

It just takes time and patience.

I'm working on it taking 5 years to start getting the ranks we want.

Triton NW06-24-2009 02:32 AM

I appreciate your focus and long term goal.....................5 years?

Oof, I am just hoping to be alive in 5 years.

I hope you make a fortune.

Shahid06-24-2009 09:20 PM

Adding maximum possible keywords

not sure how it all exactly works but

neglected.tel is pr 1 ( which supports aids.tel )

if you type " AIDS related Centers " on google 

you will more likely see

Aids.tel

Neglected.tel ( which redirects to aids.tel out of 28 million searches )

nadya06-25-2009 09:49 AM

http://aids.tel - the idea may grow into something really impressive. Non-profit service that has all the hotlines and support centres and emergency contacts, etc. There's much to be done yet, it's a huge project. Have you talked to the actual organizations that you list in this domain?

In terms of organization, make sure you're creating folders with consistent names (northamerica.aids.tel vs south-america.aids.tel - they show up differently in the proxy as you notice) and add more logic to the lists of countries and towns. In any list with 'Go to' links try sorting links alphabetically, this will help visitors find the link they need quicker. - Just my tupence.

FreakySteve06-25-2009 12:46 PM

If you're trying to improve your PR, inbound links to your .tel are very important.

You can submit your site to telodex.com and that will give you a link in. It's not a huge boost in the PR department, but every bit helps

Shahid06-26-2009 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nadya (Post 290)
    http://aids.tel - the idea may grow into something really impressive. Non-profit service that has all the hotlines and support centres and emergency contacts, etc. There's much to be done yet, it's a huge project. Have you talked to the actual organizations that you list in this domain? 

In terms of organization, make sure you're creating folders with consistent names (northamerica.aids.tel vs south-america.aids.tel - they show up differently in the proxy as you notice) and add more logic to the lists of countries and towns. In any list with 'Go to' links try sorting links alphabetically, this will help visitors find the link they need quicker. - Just my tupence.

[size]
    Thanks for your message, yes it was bought for a good cause, i even tried to buy HIV.tel but he wanted over 15000 Euro or something i don't remember, so instead i got hivaids.tel for 9 US$

what my main intention is not to just use aids.tel or hivaids.tel but to make a group like

1) hivaids.tel the main .tel where it links to aids.tel as the global directory followed by neglected.tv to showcase aids related videos and much more but requires a lot of funding and time which i m trying to work on both, its very huge and i cant complete it all thats one of the reason i have invted people to help me with information on centers near them rather then i grab it online and some information is wrong.

personally i did not find contact them good enough is because HIV AIDS related centers are very helpful and they never would reject me posting them for a good cause as i am not demanding any fees from them now or ever in future, its made a free service to help people find their nearest HIV AIDS related centers with click of a mouse lets say a person wants to look for HIV AIDS related centers for various reasons

1) Information & Testing
    2) Medication

and many more reason all he/she has to do is just log on to www.aids.tel which is more of information then graphics

Example #1 you live in Cambodia and you want to know about your centers,

Click => www.aids.tel
    Click => Asia
    Click => Cambodia

the information is in front of you. http://cambodia.asia.aids.tel/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    more example are on the following links, all follow the 3 simple and easy clicks

Click => www.aids.tel
    Click => Desired Continent
    Click => Desired Country

http://haiti.northamerica.aids.tel/
    http://panama.northamerica.aids.tel/
    http://mexico.northamerica.aids.tel/
    http://armenia.asia.aids.tel/
    http://japan.asia.aids.tel/

i am personally not a programmer i did contact a few people and they demanded too much money, so i am waiting for the right time to set it up alphabetically or rather in order very soon :) 

Thanks[/size]

Triton NW12-04-2009 11:08 PM

Dash or no dash

I appologize in advance for bringing this back up but I could not find the old posts. I have several 2 name sites. Lets take dentrepair.tel as an example. I look at the cached information in google and the key words and header all show up as being seen by google. The url does not show as being indexed because it looks like 1 word. 

My question is: How much weight is put on the url itself in the indexing process. As far as the url is concerned would dent-repair show up better in the indexing process.

I can feel Henri getting ready to punch his monitor. Sorry for the re-hashing of an old issue

Joe

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)12-04-2009 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triton NW (Post 3050)
    I appologize in advance for bringing this back up but I could not find the old posts. I have several 2 name sites. Lets take dentrepair.tel as an example. I look at the cached information in google and the key words and header all show up as being seen by google. The url does not show as being indexed because it looks like 1 word. 

My question is: How much weight is put on the url itself in the indexing process. As far as the url is concerned would dent-repair show up better in the indexing process.

I can feel Henri getting ready to punch his monitor. Sorry for the re-hashing of an old issue

Joe

[size]
    Have you read his terrific presentation on SEO ... ?
    www.using-dot-tel-for-seo-on-a-budget.seo4.tel/[/size]

mikeseaton12-05-2009 08:20 PM

Create Twitter Account

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard (Post 16)

[size]
    I have found creating a Twitter account helps a lot - have a look at http://twitter.com/mikeseaton

You will see that a link back to http://mikeseaton.tel appears on every page - Twitter allows you to put a single URL in the "Web" heading in the top right.

Additionally you can of course refer to URLs in Twitter posts - furthermore your Twitter posts are repeated in the RSS Feed (eg.http://twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline/14434948.rss/) that is linked to under the heading "RSS feed of mikeseaton's tweets".

For further Twitter information see my post "DotTel on Twitter" at http://telnic.org/forum/showthread.php?t=150

Lastly, it's not a bad idea to set up a monitoring page (which will of course get indexed itself) for your SE positions - here's mine athttp://searches.mikeseaton.tel

Hope this helps.

Mike Seaton[/size]

maximka12-05-2009 10:42 PM

By accident I found very interesting posts at NamePros from its community member x11joex11. They are not very shot (and about .info - not.tel), but are very interesting from the SEO's point of view. I think that the ideas discussed in those posts can also be used for .tel domains:

http://www.namepros.com/domain-appra...ml#post3666770

maximka02-02-2010 08:13 PM

http://www.telnic.com/forum/showpost...4&postcount=12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Triton NW (Post 5064)
    Now all of my plural names as well as the "dash" sites can be identical.

[size]
    Is that a good thing to have identical sites? Can there be a danger that Google will "punish" identical sites? 

P.S.
    I place this post here, because this thread is about SEO.

.[/size]

Triton NW02-02-2010 08:38 PM

Great point. What is the best way to have both petgrooming.tel and pet-grooming.tel to cover the "dash" issue but not get punished by Google? Huge question

henri02-02-2010 08:55 PM

Make pet-grooming.tel simply point to petgrooming.tel (or vice versa), with an explanation as to why you're sending them there.

You can't have the same data in both and be also doubly indexed by google anyway. You either get double indexing on unique data, or single indexing on duplicate data.
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Google Ranking Empty Re: Google Ranking

Triton NW02-02-2010 09:33 PM

Thank you Henri
    If I am not looking to get doublely indexex and I am OK with single, will I get penelized by haveing both look the same?

henri02-02-2010 10:40 PM

Yes you will get penalized if both look exactly the same.
    The only way to avoid this via regular web pages (not .tel domains) is to use the "canonical" meta tag. And that only works for Google right now I think.

So long story short, don't bother replicating the content, just link one into the other. Also this will help because people will link to only one domain, thus increasing the # of links and value.

Triton NW02-02-2010 10:53 PM

Henri
    You are the man
    Thanks for the input

maximka02-03-2010 12:59 AM

Triton NW, if you plan to put not only contacts but also a lot of textual information, then, perhaps, you can put it in your "dash-domain" but translated to another language - Spanish, German, etc. It means the additional job, but then you can, perhaps, have more visitors. The links between domains are, of course, necessary.

Triton NW02-03-2010 01:08 AM

Thanks Max
    I like your thinking here. I am pretty fired up about the new Telproxy and full release of Telpages. Most of my .tels are in the industry that I sell in now. The thought of being obove all of my competitors in a Telpages search is very cool. They will not know what hit them

dialaroom02-03-2010 11:19 AM

I've had dialaroom.tel and dial-a-room.tel for quite a while, I've put a few main links to dialaroom on the hyphenated dial-a-room, plus you have the chance to add another 2,000 characters of different keywords, seems to work well and stats show people find both through google for different searches.

tony mayo02-03-2010 02:22 PM

I have just noticed today that two of my restaurant listings are showing up in Google Local Listings results at the top of search page.http://bit.ly/cj02Xu
    I am referring to The Market Kitchen and Lantern Chinese.
    Must be doing something right!
    mayo.tel

paulza02-03-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony mayo (Post 5083)
    I have just noticed today that two of my restaurant listings are showing up in Google Local Listings results at the top of search page.http://bit.ly/cj02Xu
    I am referring to The Market Kitchen and Lantern Chinese.
    Must be doing something right!
    mayo.tel

[size]
    Hi Tony, I have the same result for my moscow hotels directory 
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&aq=f&aqi=&oq=[/size]

tony mayo02-03-2010 04:21 PM

@paulza Well done.
    The hard work is beginning to pay off and it really does show the value of .tel for a business working on a tight budget that doesn't need an expensive website.
    The trick now is to get that message across to a wider audience. The new Tel Proxy will be a big help in doing that.

jacksonp02-09-2010 06:36 AM

You need to build more Back Links and do some SEO work for your site.

Triton NW02-18-2010 12:24 AM

Now for the $64,000 question Henri. If you had 2 sites for example, redcars.tel and red-cars.tel, which one would you make the main site and which one would link to it?

Shahid02-18-2010 08:28 AM

not sure if i should answer this but based on my own experience, i think redcars.tel would be the main and the linking site as well. you have to understand you can both build a directory and also build seo on the same directory in a different manner that does not even make your .tel all messy but also give it more traffic and ranking as the search would come from same .tel and a person will be browsing same .tel

Shahid

dottel02-18-2010 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triton NW (Post 5555)
    Now for the $64,000 question Henri. If you had 2 sites for example, redcars.tel and red-cars.tel, which one would you make the main site and which one would link to it?

• If you ever think of selling your site then you better not develope the red-cars.tel as your main site..at least as of today, hyphen domains are not in demand..(for different reasons). They are mostly bought as a second choice.
    • When you have a first choice domain name why to develope the second choice name?
    • If you think Telnic would (in future) get the .tel extension dialed (without the requirement of extra apps) via normal phones/mobile phones then why develope red-cars.tel?

[size]

Last but not the least, no matter what you choose to develope make sure you do it the right way and promote it well..The success of your online business/websites depend on the quality, quantity of the traffic your site get, which in return gets you better/higher conversion rates (ROI)..[/size]

henri02-18-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triton NW (Post 5555)

[size]
    Make the main one whichever name that looks better to the user.
    Rule 0: "Users first"[/size]

alpha02-18-2010 10:02 PM

How to delete a .TEL domain in Google Maps ?

One of our clients has a .tel. Now it shows in Google maps as duplicate content, as the "normal" website is very well listed in Google maps. How to avoid this via .tel? (I know how to do it via Google, but Google says it will take at least 4 weeks until the listing is deleted.)

Thanks for help from Germany

JLouisBiz02-18-2010 10:28 PM

Telnic shall give option to setup robots.txt + google verification file, and it shall provide automatic sitemap.xml 

That will solve all those questions, the domain owner will have finally control over which search engine indexes what. And can eliminate Google troubles.

alpha02-18-2010 10:39 PM

Google Maps Problem

@ JLouisBiz
    Thank's for your answer - so I have to wait...
    But it will be excellent if one could manage at least the robots.txt

JLouisBiz02-18-2010 10:44 PM

Well, I don't think that they have plan for those. That means, TEL will remain degraded and limited domain.

Actually, there is nothing special with TEL that you cannot do with .COM domain, without limits. It is just supplementary tool to express your contact information or to enter markets eventually, where COM and other domains are not yet there. Like mobile phones, easy access, or other promotions and new search engines.

If you ask me, TEL shall have same free capabilities as COM. I rather pay for database usage and hosting, then have limited domain.

alpha02-18-2010 10:57 PM

Google etc

Thanks again.

I think there is a function on .TEL to say that one does not want to be listed in Google Maps... I hope I'll find out.

Cheers from Germany to Panama
    ====
    http://www.kingshotels.com/

mactel02-19-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha (Post 5582)
    One of our clients has a .tel. Now it shows in Google maps as duplicate content, as the "normal" website is very well listed in Google maps. How to avoid this via .tel?

[size]
    Hello alpha,
    In addition, you could put a existing .tel domain on a existing website, to replace its existing contact page. And do it, without the Google map (simple JavaScript code). At least there, you could work around the problem of Google maps showing duplicate content.

Or later, when it will be easier to integrate a .tel page, inclusive the Google map, into a existing website, than you could delete your existing Google map on your website, and just have it on your new contact page, which might solve the problem, however, as there quasi will be only one Google map, if you will (the map on the .tel page).

But if you really want to have the Google map on your .tel "Contact US" page: It should be possible, but it is just a bit complicated and time consuming.

But then again:
    Your client could just delete the Google map on his .tel, by setting it back to "neutral", if he thinks, it will be enough to only have the map on his website. But otherwise: Play around with the other solutions that I suggest.
    .[/size]
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

henri02-19-2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 5586)
    Well, I don't think that they have plan for those. That means, TEL will remain degraded and limited domain.

[size]
    Allow me to respectfully attempt to convince you that .tel is neither degraded nor limited.

.tel and .com serve two very distinct roles.
    .com (and others) domains are essentially used to map domain names to computer services. So when you type www.google.com on a browser, your computer hits the domain google.com to determine the address of its web server.
    Note that the .com domain is not the web server, nor the website. It serves to point to the website.

.tel on the other hand is used to map domain names to a person or company's contact information. When you type telnic.tel on a browser or request telnic.tel on a DNS client, you get back contact information.

Comparing .com to .tel is like comparing apples to oranges. Both are fruit, both are edible, both have vitamins and sugar and calories, both come from trees, but you can't say that an apple is better than an orange (or vice versa).

.tel domains cannot therefore be degraded, since all the other domains do not propose any of the features that are standard in .tel domains.
    Similarly, .tel domains are not limited except for the fact that they are not to be used like .com domains. Why should an apple become an orange? Just so that they can be compared?[/size]

henri02-19-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha (Post 5582)
    One of our clients has a .tel. Now it shows in Google maps as duplicate content, as the "normal" website is very well listed in Google maps. How to avoid this via .tel? (I know how to do it via Google, but Google says it will take at least 4 weeks until the listing is deleted.)

[size]
    Is your question how to remove the .tel domain from Google Maps because you don't want it to compete with the .com domain? It is not "duplicate content", it is an additional position on Google. You can ask Google not to index your .tel contact information, but that is generally something people like to have...[/size]

mactel02-19-2010 02:07 PM

Refering to the post before the previous post:

It could also be the question:

For what cause, do we want to use a website or webpage?
    What is the cause and your goal for your web presence?
    Who would like to have a presence in the web?
    Is is it a teenager, college student, student, house wife, small business,
    a adult without any internet skills, or with limited internet skills, or familiar with domaining, and communicating with registrars, programmers and webdesigners?

So: Setting a up a website (possibly a webshop), might be too troublesome and costly, for some consumers, and not suitable to meet and match their consumer profiles.

Which means, that a domain like the dot tel domain, can meet the other type of consumers, and just pick them up, where they are standing at the moment (knowledge level, skills, expectations, goal, concept, and cost-benefit calculation).

And which also means, that the dot tel domain, can be the ideal domain for some consumers, whereas only a website, would not properly fit, neither the demand, nor the budget (programmer, webdesigner, hosting service, webmaster etc.) or time management (maintenance by webmaster versus DIY).

Fact will be, that people who would like to have a presence in the web, but for whom a website just is too costly and troublesome, would happily welcome a domain like the dot tel domain, and be grateful to use it. And not just that: They would be able to achieve, whatever they want to achieve, and be satisfied users and players of the Internet.

And that is where a dot tel domain comes handy, too. And that is the strength and beauty of this domain. And that is where it quasi outperforms a dot com domain, or a dot org, dot net, dot info, dot mobi, or any country extension domain.

There is the niche, and .tel fills it right out.

And so, even if you would compare .tel with .com, and state, that there is a limitation (but only by comparison), the so called limitation might be the .tel domains strength. 

You can get a website, and maybe be happy with it, but you can also get a dot tel page, and benefit from it, as well. And often, a .tel domain, is just enough, for a start.

Small is beautiful. Simplify. Don't build any bigger, or any more expensive, that what you need, if you must economise. 

After myspace, facebook, and Twitter, it will be simply Dot Tel. And it is only a matter of time. 

Nice about .tel, is that it is quasi OpenSource, and a lot of fun.
    If myspace, facebook, Twitter & Co. only provide you with a member account and a subdomain: Dot Tel provides you with your own web presence for networking and socializing, and where you can integrate those other networking and socializing sites. That is a another reason to try out, and play with .tel.

Consumers, who don't want to have own websites, use myspace, facebook and Twitter, because it is simple and easy, and "trouble free":
    Exactly these consumers will discover .tel, and prefer .tel to .com.
    And so, angain: It is useless, to compare .tel with .com, because .tel is unique, and does meet needs of consumers. And does often have advantages over .com, and where .com can just not compete against, even if it can do more.

Some consumers decide to buy a small and green budget car, instead of a "gas guzzler" that is more intensive in maintenance, and more expensive for insurance and fuel. And despite of the bigger kilometer range. The amount of money you are able to save, counts too. And if you always can find a parking space, because your car fits in, and is easier to manoeuvre into the parking space, is not a irrelevant argument, as well.

maximka02-19-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henri (Post 5598)
    Comparing .com to .tel is like comparing apples to oranges. Both are fruit, both are edible, both have vitamins and sugar and calories, both come from trees, but you can't say that an apple is better than an orange (or vice versa).

[size]
    I also compare .com and .tel as a car and as a bicycle. For car we need driving license, benzine, parking place, roads, costly repairs, insurance and etc. For bicycle we need only paths, our feet and good weather. These two means of conveyance are different, but we need both of them: for long distances and for heavy loads we use car, for reaching nearby objects or for pleasure and sports we use bicycle. 

Of course, if we will try to use car instead of a bicycle in the narrow forest path, when we will have a trouble; if we will use a bicycle for carrying a forte-piano to another end of a city, when we also will have a trouble. So we need to use them for purposes for which they are destined and then everything will be OK. :)[/size]

maximka02-19-2010 02:41 PM

-----double posting-------------

JLouisBiz02-19-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henri (Post 5598)
    Allow me to respectfully attempt to convince you that .tel is neither degraded nor limited.

[size]
    Dot Tel is Limited:

* You cannot host on Dot Tel; that is first and basic limitation. Telnic obviously provides to Telnic (itself) hosting possibility, see: 
    http://telfriends.tel/login_input.action where you can find website on .TEL domain, and not .TEL contact information. Conclusion: If owner of TEL domain cannot do same like with COM domain, if owner of TEL domain, cannot host a website, and Telnic can host a website for themselves, TEL is limited domain. 

I think, forum is bad place to convince people how TEL domain is not limited.

Back to limitations:

* 100 records per page. COM has no limits.
    * 3000 subdomains per domain. .COM has no limits.
    * I have 150+ domains in one account and only 1000 folders and it takes few hours to place advertising, due to "throttling" limits;

Quote:
    [/size]

.tel and .com serve two very distinct roles.

[size]
    Not very distinct roles, but there is only one simple difference. TEL is domain ready for contact information, without media, no pictures, not even articles (those are limits too), and TEL is ready for mobile devices, although it did not work on my WAP browser yet. 

.COM is ready for anything. 

Those are distinct roles. .COM has it all. TEL makes is easy for domain owner to publish contact information, without hosting, without additional payments.

Quote:
    [/size]

.com (and others) domains are essentially used to map domain names to computer services....

.tel on the other hand is used to map domain names to a person or company's contact information.

[size]
    I cannot agree on that broad definition. .COM is used for everything for what domains can be used. And .TEL is used mainly for contact informations. 

What .TEL has, has .COM domain and other TLDs.
    What .COM has, .TEL does not have.

Quote:
    [/size]

When you type telnic.tel on a browser or request telnic.tel on a DNS client, you get back contact information.

[size]
    That is not a big deal and everyone is free to setup free DNS server and publish information as TXT and NAPTR records, and I think that exists in Internet, since long time. 

The new approach with TEL is that contact information is really published in the DNS server, so that requires adoption by companies and by devices, software and so on. Which basically means, that information can be easily parsed, and that a lot of marketing and contracts with partners are required to actually get it going and working.

But if it will be actually adopted on Internet, well I doubt. I doubt that more than 1% people on this forum uses DNS parsing to extract data. They don't even understand how it works and have never seen DNS information. That is for developers. Same thing can be done with any TLD domain.

I could make .COM domain in same manner like TEL domain, but I would not provide DNS information, as for that, devices and software, and applications and companies, still need to make software. So why not simply provide them feed, XML with the required information to be imported into devices. That looks like great flaw in the system: "OK, we provide you with DNS information of contacts... -- WHAT DNS? Yes, DNS, you have everything stored in the DNS. Just make your new software... WHAT, I have to throw away all my webservices and XML stuff, just to read your DNS?" 

Quote:
    [/size]

[size]
    I cannot agree on that. 

.COM and .TEL are Top Level Domains and they are well comparable. 

And certainly, .COM is better domain and it can be and shall be said that it is better then .TEL domain. 

TEL domains is good for beginner which does not want any programming. But if we look upon actual TEL domain usage, I can see a lot of domains being used for advertising, marketing, links, web directory, domain sales, etc. That looks like TEL has taken wrong direction then intended. Not many will enter their contact information, people enter everything.

That shows that limiting people is not a good idea.

Quote:
    [/size]

.tel domains cannot therefore be degraded, since all the other domains do not propose any of the. features that are standard in .tel domains.

[size]
    TEL domain has built-in CMS to enter contact information. But that CMS is trivial to make, and any COM domain can have CMS of that kind, only that CMS for .COM domains are not limited. Enter Articles, Videos, Text, connect to other websites, accept payments, anything.

TEL has one advantage: CMS without paying for web hosting and database, no much thinking required, just buy and run it.[/size]

JLouisBiz02-19-2010 04:20 PM

I think that TEL was ideal domain to appear as FIRST public domain, as it has the most logical use for the website owner. 

MOST BUSINESS OWNERS create a website to provide contact information and some exposure of their products and services.

TEL is beginner domain to provide contact information and products and services.

TEL is also attempt to CLOSE the business only for Telnic. Why do I say that? I did not see from Telnic attempt to "open source" the software they use. Although that software is not special thing, it is special marketing stuff. Nice. But why did not Telnic come up with solution ready made for all domains, so that any domain can use the same solution like of Telnic? Because that is simply business, money making. 

But the idea of putting DNS can be replicated easily. It just requires one CMS, offered to number of people and backend databased, networks, DNS servers and so on, virtually any networking company could replicate it. I don't find the idea appealing to me, that is appealing to companies such as Siemens or phone booths, mobile phone producers and mobile devices and such.

I hope that Telnic will allow or give incentive that ANY domain can be imported in the same manner like TEL domain, and not just TEL. Finally, sooner or later, someone will come up with COM set like TEL domain. 

I find TEL domains very interesting and i hope Telnic will stay long in business, without interruptions and great troubles. I want the databases of Telnic stay reliable and not open to cracker attaks, denial of services and such. TEL domains are usable domains and everybody shall have TEL domains. 

I have given few TEL domains away, as a gift to customer, and he has bought few other domains and I explained him what he can do to make better business and search engine rankings.

Quote:

Similarly, .tel domains are not limited except for the fact that they are not to be used like .com domains. Why should an apple become an orange? Just so that they can be compared?

[size]
    TEL domains are limited. Limits are clearly there. More over, it has communistic based limit, the more domains you buy the more you get punished and limited. I cannot place ads on all my subdomains in any reasonable amount of time (months). I can have and have to run computer and servers continually to place ads. I live out of Internet and I need tools, but now I see that I can purchase .INFO domains much cheaper and make my own network of ads and subdomains, and DNS publishing and simply run it for myself in the same and better manner like TEL.

TEL is certainly a good domain. But there is nothing in TEL that one cannot do with .COM .INFO or other domains provided one has or finds the software to run. But there are many things you cannot do with TEL due to its limitations.

Certainly, it can be compared.[/size]

JLouisBiz02-19-2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mactel (Post 5603)
    You can get a website, and maybe be happy with it, but you can also get a dot tel page, and benefit from it, as well. And often, a .tel domain, is just enough, for a start..

[size]
    The idea exists that TEL domain is easy for start. It is true.

But TEL domain is not for everyone and those wishing to have a real website will soon recognize that. Whoever buys TEL with intention to have a website, and have some business and is beginner, will soon recognize that one has to buy COM or other normal limitless domain, to place images, products, offer services and to provide contact information.

It does not matter how "easy" TEL is, it is still not easy for everyone.

What is for everyone is Facebook. That is the reality. Business people can use Linkedin, some other people will simply have E-mail and messengers. People already know what is for them and "for everyone" gets defined on the market.

TEL is not for everyone, it is for smart people, rolling with the marketing flow and knowing there will be probable benefits, advantages and sales.

Comparing to large number of COM and other TLD owners, TEL is just for that small niche of smarter people.

I see greatest advantage in TEL that the information could be imported by the mobile devices. That someone standing in the cinema, in the queue, when tickets are sold out, can fire up his mobile phone and find other cinema with the same movie. That someone in the cold weather can find a taxi easier. But that kind of adoption takes a lot of time, in the US and much more time internationally. It requires technology partners to actually market and EMBED TEL functionality. It maybe requires Google to embed TEL domains, to have it really grow.

Right now, TEL are for smart people, not for beginners. Beginners need advisors, regardless of which domain is used. 

Before TEL, in my own CMS, I would simply enter few variables: $company, $phone $email and so on, and the data would get shown in the page.

With TEL, I am required to enter somewhere in my website Example.Tel in order to get the data imported into a real web page.

In that approach, I don't see a difference in spending time.

Before in my CRM, I would enter contact informations, spend a minute.

Now, with TEL, I would enter TEL domain into CRM, and it would IMPORT contact information. But then I still have to review and decide which contact is which one and where it belongs. Still I have to spend a minute.

In that CRM approach I don't see much difference. Finally, it will be long time until people start identifying themselves with TEL, except on this forum.

I still did not find a website myself, outside of this forum or my websites, where people advertise their TEL on the website.[/size]

Triton NW02-19-2010 05:00 PM

JLouisBiz
    I am confused. I am rrying to figure out if you want .tel to succeed or fail. You put a lot of energy into telling us all what its problems are. That being said, you are on this forum more than most other people.

It dosnt matter to me either way but I could just use a little clarity so I know how to digest your posts.

Have a good day

JLouisBiz02-19-2010 05:26 PM

If I want TEL to succeed? Sorry, I am not domain seller that I care that much for TEL success, I use it for marketing purposes and I am paying for my TEL domains as I have use of it. I might sell it, though.

My use is simply Internet marketing, and TEL domains are usable for that reason to me. If I make US $5,000 per year, due to impact of TEL domains, that is my use.

But next time, I am not going to buy bunch of TEL domains, I will make my own system, purchase 500 .INFO cheapest domains on various cheap hosting services and send into them the information which I want published. Greater impact for less money. No limits, no hassles.

Sorry, I am not going to be shaped by propaganda to be PRO or CONTRA for TEL.

TEL domains are useful, but when it comes to comparison, let us be honest to each other and speak straight facts. I have my own usage for TEL and I certainly think it is good idea, but adoption will be very slow, if any.

The promotional video says it all in short: you give your BEN.TEL and the girl you likes can get your contact information, she will rather call you then your looser friend sitting beside you. Easy to find you. Easy to remember you.

But sit down and look the reality. If the girl really likes you and you wish to give her contact phone number, she will call you. It is deceptive to believe that TEL will contribute in girls calling you back. It is just funny, nice and moving video which excites you to purchase something.

Further deception is that you will be able to have BEN.TEL. Sorry. That is lie. You are John? No way, you are going to get your John.Tel, forget it. So, you will still have to use John22.Tel and JohnSmithCanada.Tel and the more there are TELs, the more confusing it becomes to remember your TEL and the more is the promotional video wrong with its message of "simplicity".

I wanna have that in video. I wanna have nice Louis.Tel. But there is no way. Deceptive illusion. 

Sit down and write down what you can do with TEL and what with COM. Compare it with wide open eyes.

I am managing my own DNS since years with simple module DNS::ZoneParse written in Perl, as I don't like clicking on some web hosting panel and I have no way to setup correctly DNS for large number of domains, subdomains and so on. It would take me just a day or two to have CRM information, for example some contact information, web links, phone numbers, etc, stored in the DNS server. But I don't see a point there. It will be of use when it gets adopted by many websites, many other technology partners, phone producer and so on. But then again, that is wrong path to adopt DNS server information only for TEL, it shall be open to all TLDs.

I don't see all the benefits of TEL domains, and it has quite deceptive "new features" that nobody can really use, such as TEL ADVERTS, which are just wishy-washy for mass domain owners hoping to get more benefits. TEL ADVERTS are of no special use to single domain owner.

And any integrator, wishing to monetize TELs, of third parties, by placing or managing adverts is simply wrong, there is no way to manage large number of adverts.

Few days ago, it took me half day to place few ads on 1000 subdomains with the software. All due to limits. The more domains I have bought, the more I became limited. What bloody programming designer has done that mess? Who is going to pay me my money back if I complain? I have paid for same feature and same usage for each single domain. And I don't get it. Deceptive illusion. Justifications, explanations, etc. Why all the mess and hassles?

Imagine me having to place on 3000 subdomains x 150 domains my ads. I would have to spend few months until ads are placed. 2 months minimally. Longer then the ad would be sold. Can it be funnier?

stel02-19-2010 07:22 PM

JLouisBiz, we believe you that for somebody with your technical abilities .tel domains might not seem to be worth your time and efforts. All that I can say in that regard to make you feel better and more hopeful is that you should just realize that this might be just a beginning. .tel will continue to improve, and as it gains popularity the benefits will become more obvious despite any of the limitations that you mentioned. I also hope that it will become easier to place ads or to get the stats for the .tel domains soon, but I believe that time will improve that.

That being said, I am not sure if adding additional features to the .tel domains might not destroy the original idea of .tel- that might slow it down. Think of this: if I go to check a .tel domain, I know what to expect within certain limits (contact information, maybe a picture for branding, etc), meaning that the ability to put there too much bull**** is also limited. And too much bull**** is a problem now on the Internet. If people want animation, etc, then you are right that they should get a .info, .com, etc. and do whatever they want with it. So that limit on additional features that all the other billion extensions out there can do can also be viewed as a limit on the amount of bull**** that one is willing to tolerate if that person is looking for quick contact information. .tel is like knowing where to find a Harley bike (assuming that is what you are looking, in this case the Harley would be quick contact information), while when you choose to look at a .com you might find anything that the owner of that site decides to put in: a slower rolls royce from the 1950's, a monster truck that doesn't work, a slow bike that barely functions, etc. So if you don't want to run the risk of running into a slow bike from the 50s, I would rather go to look first in a place (.tel) where I know that you are likely to find a fast harley if that's what I am looking for.

You wouldn't have to buy 300 .info sites to make your own similar network, but you would have to buy more like 300,000 sites and going up to have the impact that .tel and Telnic has or will soon have. 

Don't get me wrong, I think that a lot of what you say is true, it is just a matter of what people buying domains are looking for. One of your idea in particular I like, and that is that we all realize that the more popular .tels become, the more useful the .tel tools (domains, telpages, superbook) becomes. I keep thinking how all people believing that .tel has the potential to become an amazing useful tool can help to spread the word about .tel (what it can and what it can not do honestly). People then would spread the word about .tel if they truly believe that .tel will be very useful one day not out of "hype", but out of civility (and some self-interest that can't be denied for .tel owners, but there is nothing wrong if the self-interest coincides with other interests such as public good, utility, etc)....

mactel02-19-2010 08:52 PM

Many thanks, to the previous posters, for their interesting and helpful views, contributions and comments.

As I also tried to point out before: One of .tel's strength and beauty is, that it is limited, in comparison with a website. (And also, that you don't have to think too much, and can just past links into the dashboard link fields.)

But what I further point out, that .tel, as it is, has already proven been useful as a towboat for websites, meaning, that the websites got found through a .tel domain.

And most important, that:
    .tel should not be used alone, if you expect some high performance.

Why should you want to make a .com, .info, .net, org, or co.uk out of a .tel, if you have already got those domains, respectively, if you could get them for your portfolio? 

And why would you want to register a .tel domain, in that case?

What I suggested in a few of my blogs (telvisual.blogspot.com and telmanager.blogspot.com), is that you integrate .tel domains into a constellation of domains. Because that is where .tel becomes most useful. 

After reading all the good constructive criticism about .tel, I could say:
    Well, why don't we just provide the dot tel domain just like all other domains: Only a name, where you have to get some webspace and hosting, and can do whatever web project you like to do? Also, for laptop, pc and mobile phone. So that all domains would be equal, except for the domain extension.

What if we can say, that this .tel domain is important, because of its restrictions and limitations in comparison? And because of its uniform character.

As already stated in this thread: One does not have to register a .tel domain: One can register a .info, or any other domain.

I can see the differences between .tel and other domains with other extensions, but can't really see any problems. As one can choose a suitable domain extension, according to one's needs and projects.

If we just will be patient, and continue to contribute in a constructive way, and move with .tel, as it gets continually better and more useful, and use it smart, than we will always be able to benefit from .tel, as a useful domain.

It is understandable, that we could work more efficient, and do a lot more, with .tel, and it seems to be annoying, sometimes, for some users, that would like to see faster and more progress with .tel.

We should keep using .tel and keep working at its development. 
    It is too early to demonise .tel, as it might be our guardian angel or lucky star, for our business.

Appreciate .com, for what .com can be used. Appreciate .info, for what .info can be used. Appreciate .tel, for what .tel can be used. It is you to decide, how to proceed, with which domain extensions.

dialaroom02-19-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stel (Post 5631)
    Think of this: if I go to check a .tel domain, I know what to expect within certain limits (contact information, maybe a picture for branding, etc), .

[size]
    Once people have used a .tel for contact information, I am sure they will keep using them, and one of the main reasons is because of what stel says above, they will know what to expect, fast, clean contact information, without the clutter, pop-ups, navigation problems and all the annoying things people associate with web based sites.[/size]

dotteler02-19-2010 09:54 PM

An interesting quote from one member of telnic: 'what will twitter be in 2 years'?
    I think we should look forward to imagine where use of mobile will be in 2 years?
    How many park benches with iPads being used by people all over?
    .tel is something that these devices are ideal for.
    Sure they'll have contacts in the OS from apple. But what an opportunity for .tel and app developers.
    A 'super charged' telhosting / app server offered with intuitive front end user management?
    I think we'll see greater uses for .tel in conjunction with these devices and apps. Google map with click to call .tel buttons in the pop up cloud listing info.? Perfect.
    The world's directory on your iPad or Kindle? Perfect.
    Click to email anyone in the world? It will get there.
    Scraping the social networks to find people? Already being worked on.
    Complain to Congress? Click away.
    Can you do all of this on the internet / traditional hosted domains?
    Probably.
    As quickly or as inexpensively as with .tel?
    Certainly not.
    Mobile + directory + app is the new 'core requirement' for penetrating the social masses.
    Who will need a 'web site' in the future when you can mash up what you need for free? 
    .tel serves the perfect 'index page' for your personal web sphere.
    People can poo poo till they're purple. Just watch and learn.

alpha02-19-2010 10:16 PM

Google Maps abuse: warning for Hotels

My first question is answered: It is not a .TEL mistake that one of our clients is listed in Google Maps with a .TEL adress. A company named "triptv" with a lot of different TLDs like de, it, ru, es, fr. tries to get clients via this map listing. The trick is not new, we have deleted about 30 Google maps listings, installed by different booking engines for different hotels.

If you visit Munich, Germany, try one of the King's Hotels
    http://www.kingshotels.com/
    http://www.suchmaschine-optimierung.de/

maximka02-19-2010 10:22 PM

I like very much a way in which one tel-owner made his TEL and COM work together - look here (both sites are about car tuning, in Russian language). In the TEL user first selects paticular car model, then goes to the COM to see its picture and description.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha (Post 5639)
    The trick is not new, we have deleted about 30 Google maps listings, installed by different booking engines for different hotels.]

[size]
    Can this trick harm in any way tel-domains owners?[/size]

alpha02-19-2010 10:45 PM

Google Maps

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maximka 
    Can this trick harm in any way tel-domains owners?

Yes, it can, not as an owner of a TEL domain. but in respect to the quality of a website listed in Google maps.

dialaroom02-19-2010 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha (Post 5639)
    My first question is answered: It is not a .TEL mistake that one of our clients is listed in Google Maps with a .TEL adress. A company named "triptv" with a lot of different TLDs like de, it, ru, es, fr. tries to get clients via this map listing. The trick is not new, we have deleted about 30 Google maps listings, installed by different booking engines for different hotels.

[size]
    Sorry Alpha do not understand post, triptv do not have a .tel, what map listings are you talking about? Is it possible to explain post?[/size]

alpha02-20-2010 12:23 AM

Google Maps abuse

@dialaroom

1. A hotel is listed on Google Maps with the COM or FR or IT or any other TLD domain. 
    2. Suddenly there is a second listing of the same hotel. The mentioned URL is the TEL domain of the hotel.
    3. In Google eyes this hotel has now duplicate content, as it is listed twice. This leads to "bad quality" and the hotel might rank in lower positions in the SERPs of Google Maps.

Again: it is NOT a mistake to have a TLD and a TEL domain - the problem is, that "triptv" publishes the TEL domain (which leads to duplicate content) and in the surroundings they publish a lot of triptv.XX domains, so the client might go to triptv instead directly to the hotel's website (TLD or TEL ).

maximka02-20-2010 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha (Post 5643)
    2. Suddenly there is a second listing of the same hotel. The mentioned URL is the TEL domain of the hotel.

[size]
    alpha, thank you for the explanation!

But some moments of all this "trick" are still not very clear. If, for example, in my Calella town directory I have information about hotels of this town, then how that information influences ranking of web-sites of these hotels? Are they listed twice? In a word, can information (contacts) which are in a TEL domain, to influence web-site of that hotel?[/size]
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

mactel02-20-2010 09:44 AM

Hello All:
    If things get a bit complicated:
    Why not use a mind map like "Bubbl.us" to support the discussion, and give a better understanding.
    After all, understanding is about visualisation. 
    I guess, everybody basically makes mind maps in their head.
    But if we can't fit the pieces together, we can have another try with a electronic/online mind map..., and than transmit the picture to our brain, to finalize understanding. 
    Just a few ideas:
    http://telvisual.blogspot.com/
    http://telmanager.blogspot.com/

JLouisBiz02-25-2010 12:27 AM

Now after about 10-15 days of testing out TEL advertising, I can only say, I am more then satisfied.

Provided you are looking to enter keywords in a not much saturated market, TEL advertising helps a lot. For some keywords, my TEL domains now appear everywhere on first and other pages of Google. I only hope that Google will not degrade it.

The big difference between TEL advertising and Google Javascript advertising is that TEL advertising is actually a content of the TEL domain. When you then also have domain name connected to search keywords, with 120 domains, you have got excellent pointers to any business you like.

100-150 domains is not much money maybe 1800 dollars, 2,000 dollars. But then, do you want to spend 300 dollars per month and end up in the year the same? Or even more expensive?

By including asynchronous rotating banners into TEL domains, TEL domains, when regularly updated, they get better rankings, and the content can be similar, but not the same. It is small cheat on search engines, but it is innocent cheat. Advertising does work on TEL domains, and I have great exposure now.

maximka02-26-2010 07:55 AM

I have a question, in what way it is better for Google indexing to use hyphens when writing names of sub-folders, for example:

1. Bathroom_cleaning
    or
    2. Bathroom-cleaning

?

henri02-26-2010 10:52 AM

Use dashes, as underscores are not allowed in domain names.
    Also make sure that you properly label any links to the sub-folders (which can be anything you want). So a link to a.domain.tel could have as its label "Bathroom Cleaning".
    However, if you can, always use valuable keywords in subfolder names themselves.

maximka02-28-2010 09:22 AM

henri, thank you!

can02-28-2010 03:40 PM

I have a question.Which better?
    coupon-code.code.tel or coupon.code.tel

mactel02-28-2010 04:14 PM

coupon.code.tel

JLouisBiz02-28-2010 05:24 PM

Sorry but by this order: 

http://coupon.tel
    http://coupons.tel
    then
    http://coupon1.tel and so on
    then comes the http://couponcode.tel

Why use code.tel for coupons, better use couponX.tel for coupons.

mactel02-28-2010 10:59 PM

Coupons with codes.

Codes everywhere... 

Codes on coupons, as well.

It is mainly about codes on diverent things, I guess.
    And the spectrum seems to include coupons.
    And that is why "coupons" is a subdomain of "codes", respectively, of "code.tel".

Whatever a (main) domain is about: It's content is likely to be about the same subject.
    And a subdomain often only represents a fraction of related items to the main subject.
    Often the domain name gives us a clue, about the business, etc. 
    A subdomain can be anything else, but stands in relation with the business, or the production procedure.

Taking a look at "code.tel" does show, that it is about "codes".

However, Can only whanted to know, which of the both subdomain names is the better one, to integrate into his directory.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 7:14 am