The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Logo

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Logo                     Empty Logo

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 9:19 am

Blunderer12-17-2011 01:32 PM

Logo

@Telnic,

You have provided us with the facility to link to a logo through the CTH but, other than showing an image, including the description when the cursor is moved over it, there is no other function.

Could this facility be modified - not only to display the logo but also to link to a .tel subfolder, and/or a different .tel?.

If it could, it would be a good place for putting a site sponsors logo - I'm thinking my site logo on the front page, individual advertisers logos on their own subfolder, with a sponsors logo-link on all the common pages.

Apart from the likes of myself, this would enable individuals, clubs, groups, etc. to enhance sponsorship opportunities on their multi subfolder sites, with minimal skill requirement.

R.S.V.P.

Aled12-19-2011 09:29 AM

Thanks for the request, Blunderer. I've added it to the list of suggestions.

Blunderer12-19-2011 01:57 PM

Thank you Aled.

Simon G12-20-2011 08:28 AM

Or a link to the index page. Quite a few sites allow a click to home from the logo.

wibblenut12-20-2011 02:41 PM

If it links to the main domain then fine, but I'd be against adding any more complexity to record structures to support web-specific features.

Blunderer12-20-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wibblenut (Post 19694)
    If it links to the main domain then fine, but I'd be against adding any more complexity to record structures to support web-specific features.

[size]
    Do you mean that you would be only be happy if it linked to the main page of the site it was displayed on, not sub folders, other .tels or other web sites?[/size]

wibblenut12-20-2011 06:43 PM

@Blunderer - Yep, because otherwise it would require a new record type to support the logic. I'd rather we didn't go any further down the road of adding more and more customisation (complexity) for the web proxy. Remember the web proxy is only secondary to the core .tel concept..

Blunderer12-20-2011 08:30 PM

@wibblenut,

That's outside my pay grade. Isn't this Forum about adding complexity for the web proxy?

You seem to be advocating the Do Nothing option since the breadcrumbs can be used to navigate backwards.

Half the folk who use this Forum bemoan the lack of registrations/uptake, yet most of the development seems suited only to those who are professionals in this field. I look at this from the point of view of attracting greater usage by individuals, social groups and small scale publishers (like myself) where the ability to easily apply a few sponsor images can have a big impact - cover the cost of a free to list directory; pay for new sports kit for the local youth team; cover the cost of publishing (on a .tel) the history of their town; support the costs of a hobby - there is massive scope, and not in competition with those working on a larger, more commercial scale.

All current development in this direction requires the use of third party tools, which seem more appropriate for mass population from prepared data. I'm looking at small scale - unskilled, and think that this should not be overlooked.

I agree that things should not be more complex than necessary but when I think of some of the suggestions put forward, many dependent on the hypothetical, or forecast, I can't recall reducing complexity as featuring overmuch, only whether something was actually possible.

I have no real idea about how this .tel thing works, that's someone else's job. I just use the bits that do, and try and do what I can to promote mass adoption.

If linking your logo on my .tel site to your website proved undesirable, we might both settle for a link to your .tel (reasonable rates available).

TELcp12-21-2011 06:58 PM

@Blunderer

I understand your request for providing an outgoing link (either to an internal folder or external site). May I know why do you prefer it from the logo rather than providing a link from an Image Ad which has more space description to attract visitors?

Thank you in advance.

By the way, the new version of TELcp V3.0 introduced yesterday is designed not only for the professionals but also for any novice who knows at least how to surf the web and send/receive an email. If someone knows that much and have at least $10 and a computer/smartphone with access to internet, then can set up his own tel based business operating from office/home.
    You can use it free until you find enough customers to subscribe for paid services.

Cheers!

Blunderer12-22-2011 02:27 PM

Logo - adding utility

@TELcp,

Hello,

In addition to the reasons I gave above, all of my customers were put off by the mobile position of the adsense/3rd party ad block because it presents between the title/name header and the contact element of their display. They consider this to be too intrusive. Also, whilst using 3rd party tools (e.g. yours and Mark's) would enable ad content and the folders they are displayed upon to be tailored to other content, the use of Adsense does not allow this. Another reason is that the amount of earnings obtained from ppc/ppv ads is minimal on a site of local interest only, but local businesses can usually be persuaded to stump up a bit more (a usable lump sum) - by way of sponsorship of local causes.

For rapid, free population of large directories using an acquired contact list, I can see real benefit from the sort of tools that have been created by Forum members, particularly where the 3rd party ads are the main target for income, where their prominence is an asset. I can't ask a business to pay to list on my small sites and then slap an advert for a competitor in the middle of their display, though they will accept sponsored links on common/intermediate pages/sub folders. I can put a logo on such pages through the CTH but it is dumb. Allowing it to link to a different .tels, or even just other sub folders would give small users greater scope for covering costs or generating useful funding.

From your very clear announcement of the capabilities of your system, I can see that it addresses the needs of most business organisations, and many directory builders. However, I think there is still a gap where very small directories and small local groups and organisations (mainly short of cash and run by unskilled volunteers) are concerned, and this may aid registrations.

Keep doing what your doing, though. It's the way forward for many .tel owners - maybe even me!

TELcp12-22-2011 03:54 PM

@Blunderer

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Now I understand the reason for your feature request.
    I do respect your idea.

Following is mine. Do feel free to point out mistakes in my suggestions..

Quote:

....my customers were put off by the mobile position of the Adsense/3rd party ad block because it presents between the title/name header and the contact element of their display. They consider this to be too intrusive...

[size]
    What you say is true if the page content belongs to someone else. Having Adsense on such pages will drive traffic away from them. No one would want that to happen after attracting a visitor to the page by displaying their own content. For them, the best is their own ads on their own page.

Quote:
    [/size]

..... Another reason is that the amount of earnings obtained from ppc/ppv ads is minimal on a site of local interest only, .....

[size]
    ppc income depends on the keywords appearing on the page. Even if it is the site is of local interest the right keyword matters. But then you can not put others contact details there. You need to write short articles there. But again Adsense will pick up the most searched keyword in your site and start delivering ads based on that. This can create unwanted ads appearing on pages.
    Well, if you are not into ads, then you should consider renting out pages to your customers for a small fee.

If you can not find enough customers to pay for the pages, then you should consider separate them from your category tree and deliver Adsense Ads only to those pages without any owner but some contents.

Quote:
    [/size]

....I can't ask a business to pay to list on my small sites and then slap an advert for a competitor in the middle of their display, though they will accept sponsored links on common/intermediate pages/sub folders. I can put a logo on such pages through the CTH but it is dumb.

[size]
    Here, if you mean to say that you want to display others' content and only to link the logo to an external folder, you can do it by just displaying a folder (with a Label indicating the cause) or even consider having the mobile ad placed at the bottom.

Quote:
    [/size]

From your very clear announcement of the capabilities of your system, I can see that it addresses the needs of most business organisations, and many directory builders. However, I think there is still a gap where very small directories and small local groups and organisations (mainly short of cash and run by unskilled volunteers) are concerned, and this may aid registrations.

[size]
    Well, as a matter of fact the TELcp used in www.telcp.com is mainly for any starters to grow as the business grows.
    I. personally, look at the tel as the place for contact information. Ads are secondary to me,
    However, when it comes to advertising on a tel page I believe that the Ad should belong to the owner of the contents of the page.

The concept of TELcp is to rent out tel pages and let them( tel page users) manage their own contents (TELcp provides different levels of feature Access for this). We are allowing tel owners to maintain 1000 pages free of any charge. And also allow tel Owners to rent out up to 10 pages (out of those 1000) and start a small business with a minimum investment of cost of a tel domain. This is and ideal for small towns, villages, communities, clubs, universities, colleges etc. (best opportunity for those with geo tel domains). Just have a look at our demo site www.mytown.tel.

Yes, you are right. we target the large organizations as well. For them we offer customized solutions. Usually services for them will not be throughwww.telcp.com, but through their own domain names and sites maintained by us.

The tel is endless.

P.S. I am sure others may be having better ideas on these matters.[/size]

Blunderer12-30-2011 08:32 PM

@TELcp,

Sorry to take so long in replying. I accept what you say, and I think that the tools that have been developed by you and others are excellent but, I still think that in order to support greater ownership there is scope for providing a bit more utility - as standard - through the CTH, and overcoming the intrusiveness of the mobile ad upper display.

I have a domain I use for testing purposes and have ripped a couple of logos and put them on the common pages to give an idea of where I think a small scale, unskilled user/organisation could maybe find an opportunity, without upsetting the balance of the main content. Have a look at the communication links on www.scientology.tel I'll take the logos off in a few days, unless requested to do so immediately. If the logos could link to another .tel site, sub folder or website by simply pasting the URL into the CTH in a similar way to Adsense, there would still be scope and justification for the use the more extensive facilities that you guys provide but the basic package would be much more attractive and useful.

TELcp12-31-2011 04:45 AM

@Blunderer,

Had a look at the site www.scientology.tel.

Assuming that links as requested by you are provided for logos,personally, IMO, I would not like to have any outgoing link from my logo to someone else's site. 
    Now, if you say the link is meant to be for linking a site (or another page within the same tel) owned by the owner of the tel page, I would not agree with that. Because, the page owner can provide such links as a record (NAPTR/TextT Ads/Img Ads etc) on the tel page with a Label describing the purpose/destination of the link. But if a link is provided for the logo, you can not have a Label for it (unless something is provided for mouseover effect). So, without a Label/description it is very unlikely that a visitor will click the logo without knowing where he/she is going to be taken to. 
    Am I correct?

Blunderer12-31-2011 02:19 PM

@TELcp,

Regarding the desirability of links to websites, it could be a link to your own site.

I use text/record links for sponsored listings already but think they look out of place since by definition, they don't relate to the subject of the other records. That's why an I thought the ability to display an image link, where the logo displays on intermediate pages, would be a useful addition.

A mouseover description would also be good. I note that existing Google Adsense image ads don't have this.

Current date/time is 2024-05-09, 1:26 am